Monospaced Font

CONLANG  February 2011, Week 2

CONLANG February 2011, Week 2

Re: Non-subject relativization strategies

Marlon Couto Ribeiro <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 Feb 2011 03:07:18 -0200

If you go to the following pages you will the explanation Roger Mills gave about Malagasy
http://westernlinguistics.ca/afla/meetings/afla5/abstracts/pearson_resultative_complements_and_non_active_voice_morphology_in_malagasy.pdf

http://www.linguistics.ucla.edu/people/grads/pearson/dissertation/chapter2.pdfhttp://www.linguistics.ucla.edu/people/grads/pearson/dissertation/chapter2.pdf

Concerning Japanese, Basque and Turkish, they have all similar non-subject relativization structures:
Watashi wa osushi wo tsukuttandesu. I made sushi.
Watashi wa osushi wo tsukutta ndesu. I topic marker sushi direct object marker past form of formal level marker "tsukuru" to make, to prepare
Watashi ga tsukutta osushi wa oishii ndesu. I relative made sushi delicious sentence subject markeror
Watashi no tsukutta osushi wa oishii ndesu. The sushi I made (or The sushi THAT I made) is delicious. I relative made sushi delicious. sentence subject marker

Sono hito wa hiroi apaato ni sunde iru ndesu.That person wide apartment locative present perfect formal level marker(he, she) of "sumu": to live, to dwell
He/she lives in a large apartment.
Sono hito ga sunde iru apaato wa hiroi ndesu.The aparment "where" s/he lives is large.
Relative sentences in Japanese work like adjectives, that's why they come before the nouns. In my conlang there is no relativizer and the verb becomes a tense-marked adjective.
Riema robazei zhaminao beirievobeirei.Yesterday a bread delicious I.ed.prepare.ed = I made a delicious bread yesterday.Zaminao muebeitoa yu robao riema beilei revobeirao.Delicious it.is the bread yesterday I.by made/prepared = The bread I made yesterday is delicious.
vobeirue: to prepare, to cook, to bake (-ue: infinitive marker, vobeir- = stem)robao: bread (-ao, -a- : neuter noun marker)-rie- ... -ei: past tense circumfixre-: past tense marker in relativized verbal adjective form-zei: object marker (accusative case)bei- : masculine Iriema: yesterdayzaminao: delicious-lei: passive voice agent marker, relative and embedded sentence subject marker; by means of, through, via (ablative case)mue-: itbeitue: to be (stem: beit-)-oa: present tense suffixyu: neuter definite article, "the"-ao: neuter adjective marker
Loyueka valomazei runao moasovieto yei reisie. The student will do a difficult homework later on. later homework hard he.fill-in.will the student
Runao valomazei loyueka yei reisilei vosovitao mozaroa yueno moasie. hard homework later the student.by will.filled-in she.thinks mother he.ofThe student's mother thinks difficult the homework he is going to do.
loyueka: latervalomao: homework (neuter noun marker: -ao, -a--zei: object marker (accusative case)runao: difficut, hard (neuter adjective marker: -ao)moa-: hemo-: she-s-: linking consonantovitue: to fill in, to fill out (ovit-, oviet-: stem)-o: future tense markeryei: masc. def. article, thereisie: common (=masc. & fem.) noun, "student" (common noun marker: -ie, -i-)zarue: to think, to have an opinion, to deem, to consideryueno: femine noun mother-sie: genitive suffix-lei: passive voice agent marker, relative and embedded sentence subject marker; by means of, through, via (ablative case)vo-: future tense marker in relativized verbal adjective form
Oja yeisa majieluzei moakoaroa yei kaboa.here now magazine he.reads the boyNow the boy is reading a magazine here.
Mueriesoabitei yu majilue oja yeisa yei kaboalei lakoarao.It.disappeared the magazine here now the boy.by read.The magazine the boy is reading now here disappeared.
la-: present tense marker in relativized verbal adjective form
See also:http://www.buber.net/Basque/Euskara/lang.lt.htmlhttp://www.nabasque.org/Pages/Euskara_Laka.htmhttp://www.ehu.es/HEB/Mikel/Adam&Mikel_Master2010_11/Papers%20for%20presentations/Carreiras%20et%20al%202010%20relatives.pdf
The old Brazilian indigenous language "Old Tupi" had no relativizer as well. It used a noun with a passive prefix (emi-, temi-, remi-) plus tense suffixes (zero suffix for present tense, -pŻera/-mbŻera/-Żera/-gŻera for past tense and -rama/-ndama/-Żama/-gŻama/-ama for future tense) preceded by a possessive pronoun or noun in genitive order (noun + noun) to non-subject relativizing sentences, and it used the suffix -saba/-aba/-ndaba for subject relativizing sentences or even for non-subject relativizing sentences.
                Óebyr+saba Apť xť Óebyraba i porang.Path my "returning way/thing" it beautiful.The path I go/come back through is beautiful.
             Óebyr+saba+pŻeraApť xť ÓebyrabŻera i porang.Path my "past returning way/thing" it beautiful.The path I went/came back through is beautiful.
              Óebyr+saba+rama Apť xť ÓebyrabŻama i porang.Path my "future returning way/thing" it beautiful.The path I will go/come back through is beautiful.
Mar„pe ygara nde ruba remimotara (remi- +potar+ -a)? Where boat your father wanting to wantWhere is the boat your father wants?
Mar„pe ygara nde ruba remimotarŻera?Where boat your father past wantingWhere is the boat your father wanted?
Mar„pe ygara nde ruba remimotarama?Where boat your father future wantingWhere is the boat your father will/may want?