CONLANG March 2011, Week 1

Re: Fantasy Conlang Universals

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 2 Mar 2011 11:53:22 -0800

--- On Mon, 2/28/11, Daniel Bowman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > Any ideas what form the (linguistic) conflict will
> take? As well as
> > how to write it in such a way as not to bog down the
> narrative with
> > technicalities?
> >

> Yes, bogging down in technicalities would certainly render
> the
> non-conlanging reader quite bored quite fast.  I
> intend to avoid that if I
> can.  My intent is to try and resolve one thing that
> really vexes me about
> fantasy: it is not foreign enough.  Now I don't want
> to go off the deep end
> and make it so foreign that it's hard to have an engaging
> story.  At the
> same time, I have had the opportunity to live in two
> countries beside the
> United States-Tanzania and Korea.  This has brought
> home to me both the
> literary opportunities of having a conculture with varying
> languages as well
> as the difficulty of journeying through a land where you
> can't communicate
> with most (or any) of the inhabitants.

While in my opinion, fantasy doesn't have to be foreign or happen in
foreign places to be good. Westerns are basically fantasy that happens
in Oklahoma and Arkansas, for example. That said, I certainly see your
point and agree with it to a large degree. Again, I think a lot of the
lack of foreignness you see in fantasy speaks volumes about the market
we're looking at. Any writer who writes for his bread has to balance
the realities of the market with the complexities of his art. In other
words, if you make your story or location too foreign, you might risk
not being published at all. This is why characters and "non-human" races
in fantasy and sci-fi are pretty much 100% human, when you get right down
to it.

We relate to humans, we understand humans, we intuitively get the human
experience. Having never met anything close to an alien intelligence, we
don't really have a basis upon which to fantasise. Even when we try to
portray something alien, we often end up with a human in a costume. I
think this has long been a criticism of Star Trek, for example. Now, I
believe that the whole point of ST wasn't so much to faithfully present
a likely alien culture so much as to kind of explore human traits, be they
the logic and unemotion of Spock or the barely contained violence and
raw power of Worf.

So, while you founf life difficult in Korea, since you didn't speak the
language, it wasn't impossible. You survived and came back again to tell
the stories of your life in forn parts. But all the Koreans you met were,
in actuality, not all that foreign. They all have the same basic human
needs and wants, and by in large suffer from the same ills and foibles
you do. Even with the adverse condition of no common language, you can
(and obviously did) relate in some way. I've lived in forn parts, too,
though perhaps Spain isn't quite as forein as Korea, from the American
perspective.

I do think that the inability to communicate would be a good asset to
your story, if it's not overdone. Perhaps, since you mention two humans
travelling to another planet, there could be a lot of dialog among those
two, working through the obstacle and trying to overcome the communication
barrier. Through the medium of their shared struggle, we the reader can
share in their difficulties without being bogged down too much in technical
jargon or a lot of foreign gibberish text. Balance will be the key, as
I'm sure you're aware!

> Part of the plot involves two people from Earth actually
> traveling to this
> conworld in search of a girl.  It is these two people
> that have to make a
> journey, with the girl's older sister to guide them.
> Since the conworld of
> Angayus has no relation with Earth, the Earthlings are at
> square one: they
> don't know anything about the language or the
> culture.  The older sister
> obviously knows the language of her native city (and also
> English to some
> degree), but as they travel on even her knowledge becomes
> spotty or
> nonexistent.

I'm assuming that Angayus is earthlike enough so that they won't die of
some horrible disease within a week. Or spread terrestrial pandemics
among the locals! Although, that could serve as an interesting side plot.
Are the people of Angayus humans? Or something like humans? Or are you
trying for utterly alien?

> I really want to make the story visceral.  I want the
> characters to suffer
> privation and hunger, the weather, getting sick, cultural
> misunderstandings,
> and of course the struggle with the languages, all cast as
> impediments
> towards their final goal.

How would the Angayusians react to wandering off-worlders? Would they
try to help (by teaching some of their language or offering food and
shelter), or would they ignore the strange little foreigners?

> JRRT had Sauron, Robert Jordan had the Dark One, for me
> Angayus itself will
> be almost enemy enough (recall the discussion last month on
> the mechanics of
> a trinary star system and wobbling planetary axes-that's
> Angayus!).

Well, I've been nomail for several years, so am afraid I missed that
discussion!

> I want to de-romanticize certain parts of the
> journey.  I think it will make
> the story stronger, not weaker.

I think that could work. There are some good fantasies out there that
work towards deromanticisation. Life as a wandering hero was undoubtedly
dirty, damp, uncomfortable and hard all around. Yet books and movies
never seem to dwell overmuch on the privation such wanderers face!

> > If you just threw some Angosey at
> > your reader as if to say the characters have to deal
> with this, and so
> > you will too, that could be pretty effective.
> >

> Hmm.  Didn't think of that, but I like it.  The
> reader would get
> translations only if the characters understood.

Sounds reasonable.

> Otherwise, both parties are
> baffled.  The one trouble I have is rendering the
> various conlangs' orthography.

Keep it simple and always remember who your audience is. If you're looking
to publish broadly, chances are good there will not be (m)any
lingsuiticians or conlangers in that audience. There are going to be more
fans of fantasy looking for a good story, not a lecture on the uses of
the aorist stems in -e- form nouns.

> For example, if I didn't know French, and you spoke it to me,
> and I tried to transliterate it, I would be wildly
> off.

Well, you can see this to an extent by reading Kreyol texts. Clearly the
sound is French, but the orthography is not exactly Parisian!

>  Ditto even for
> Kiswahili, which has a pretty intuitive spelling once you
> get to know it.
> But I might just sweep that under the rug by making sure
> not to use lots of
> fancy diacretics, thereby preventing the question of how
> the characters knew
> that "u" needed a circumflex.

Indeed. Here, I think you're going to need a compromise. Unless one of
the travellers is a linguistics student (or a conlanger), chances are
good they're going to hear and interpret Angosey VERY wrongly. Assuming
the locals have "normal" vocal apparatus, there's a good chance they
will mishear points of articulation, and will almost certainly get any
tones or lengthening/shortening wrong.

Just try not to make it look like an ugly anglicisation. To go back to
French for example, look at "shmapell shah". Does that look aesthetic?
It obviously doesn't look French, so you'd have to decide how literal
a transcription you want and also how wrong the travellers hear Angosey.

One thing you might do is try to introduce some "good Angosey", perhaps
by the travellers starting to recognise some writing. Signs, and similar.
In that way, you can introduce your "good" transcription and begin to
correct their mistakes.

I agree, you don't want to be introducing diacritics and IPA and other
stuff that they wouldn't know. Though, of course, you could also write an
appendix and perhaps a glossary to describe some of that information.

Padraic