CONLANG  March 2011, Week 2

CONLANG March 2011, Week 2

TECH: A program to generate interlinears from a given template?

Carsten Becker <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 8 Mar 2011 19:08:21 +0100

Hi,

I just want to ask whether anyone of you knows or has written a program
to generate interlinears from text input using a given template. To
illustrate what I'd like to be able to do:

Enter:

     Ø edareng telbyamanas.
     Ø eda-reng telb-yam-an-as
     COP that-A.INAN show-PTCP-NMLZ-P
     This is an example.

Get out:

<example src="John Doe (2011)">
<gloss>
<word>Ø</word>
<morphemes>Ø</morphemes>
<analysis>COP</analysis>
<translation>be</translation>
</gloss>
<gloss>
<word>edareng</word>
<morphemes>eda-reng</morphemes>
<analysis>that-A.INAN</analysis>
<translation>this</translation>
</gloss>
<gloss>
<word>telbyamanas</word>
<morphemes>telb-yam-an-as</morphemes>
<analysis>show-PTCP-NMLZ-P</analysis>
<translation>example</translation>
</gloss>
<whole>This is an example.</whole>
</example>

given the template you defined.

This'd be incredibly helpful for longer texts, because to make
interlinears of them that can be manipulated with HTML and CSS always
takes me ages.

I guess I could write such a program myself (I suppose it'd be rather
trivial with either Python or PERL, but I don't know either), but before
I reinvent the wheel I wanted to ask whether someone has already done
this work.

Carsten

--
Ayeri Grammar (WIP): http://goo.gl/bCcbJ (PDF)