CONLANG  March 2011, Week 2

CONLANG March 2011, Week 2

Re: Whiteboard Script

Matthew Boutilier <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 Mar 2011 05:36:56 -0400

ok, here's what it says, approximately:

אם תתן לי כסף, אקרה לך קפה
'im tittōn lī kese*p*, 'aqrah la*k* qa*p*eh.
if 2ms-give-IMP to-me money, 1s-קרה-IMP to-you coffee

אם היית נותן לי כסף, הייתי קורה לך קפה
'im hayī*t*ā nōtēn lī kese*p*, hayī*t*ī qōreh la*k* qa*p*eh.
if 2ms-be-PER give.ing.ms to-me money, 1ms-be-PER
קרה.ing.ms<http://xn--8db1bd.ing.ms>to-you coffee

i don't know modern hebrew too well and can only go from biblical, but no
one more qualified has stepped in.

i don't strictly speaking remember what the root Q-R-H (קרה) means - it may
be related to Q-R-' "to say/read" (cf arabic قرأ to read, whence qur'an) so
were this true it could mean "to order"; the context implies ordering or
buying - basically, something you do with money that gets you stuff.

underlining represents post-vocalic non-geminate frication which in the
olden days affected /b g d k p t/ but in the major dialect of modern hebrew
applies only to /b k p/ (ie > /v x f/).

מזל טוב

matt