CONLANG  April 2011, Week 4

CONLANG April 2011, Week 4

Re: Conlangs as Academic Evidence in Linguistic Studies: How Serious was Gong et al's error?

And Rosta <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 26 Apr 2011 20:53:53 +0100

Logan Kearsley, On 25/04/2011 18:57:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 9:58 AM, And Rosta<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>> Alex Fink, On 25/04/2011 02:55:
> [...]
>>> Okay, granting that view of things, what does, say, "shen" do on a
>>> one-argument verb V (er, "modifier", but that's probably a distinction
>>> without a difference)?  Well, it switches the unique argument place of V
>>> with an argument place of a _different verb entirely_!  Namely, you do a
>>> (preorder) traversal of the part of the syntactic tree you've constructed
>>> so
>>> far (as you read right to left), find the first verb which has an argument
>>> place you haven't started filling yet, and switch that argument with the
>>> argument of V.
>>
>> I still don't get it. At the level of phonological form, you have "A B C
>> shen V". After processing "shen", the logical-syntactic form is "A C B" (by
>> some kind of movement transformation). Then, after processing the monadic V,
>> the l-s form is "A C [BV]". There is nothing mindboggling in this, it seems
>> to me.
>>
>> I must be missing something, though. Please do have the patience to keep on
>> trying to explain to me!
>
> The mindbogglingness, in my mind, derives from the fact that you
> aren't just limited to rearranging the order or position of elements
> in a clause, or even in a sentence. You can actually extract any node
> of the syntax tree and move it to a completely different tree.
> Elements can be moved around anywhere within the entire discourse.
> This lets you interleave elements that will, in the end, become parts
> of completely different sentences; lingering is the simplest form of
> that.

Can you give a simple example of how to get one sentence within another? If you have "A B C D S E" where S is an independent sentence and A,B,C,D are arguments of E, what mechanism stops S being taken as an argument of E?

Other than that, it looks to me as if a Fith parse is a straightforward tree, but if terminal nodes are ordered by the ordering of their first phonological exponence, then branches can cross. Again, this happens in natlangs too. (Except, in natlangs it's construction specific, whereas in Fith it can happen anywhere.)

> Imagine if, in English, you had a single word that meant "find the
> last relative clause that I used, take it out of it's original noun
> phrase, and wait for me to tell you a new noun phrase to stick it on".
> That's the sort of thing you have to deal with in Fith.

How so? Once the relative clause and the noun have been merged into a single construct, the relative clause is no longer on the stack, is no longer visible to syntax.

> The process itself is not mindboggling. It is logically quite simple.
> But the results- what it can be used to do to the syntax tree- are
> incredibly complex and context-dependent. It's kind of like Conway's
> Game of Life. The rules are incredibly simple, anybody can understand
> them, but no one can predict the results for anything non-trivial.

I accept the general point, but reiterate my contention that almost everything that Fith allows, natlangs allow too  to some extent.

>>> "du", for instance,
>>> preceding a>=2-valent verb, just derives a reflexive with one fewer place
>>> from it, forcing the first two arguments to corefer.  But on a 1-valent
>>> verb, it amounts to saying that the argument of this verb is equal to the
>>> next unfilled argument of a different verb, again found by a tree
>>> traversal.
>>
>> Yes, but why is this weird? It's a kind of anaphora. One can envisage, say,
>> "John du rocks thinks" = "John_1 thinks he_1 rocks".
>
> Which is how it's described- as a replacement for anaphora. But it
> doesn't actually function the same way; properly employing it requires
> being able to anticipate ahead of time the next time you would use
> that anaphora and count off the elements in between the duplication
> and the usage.

Can you give an example? (use A/B/Cs or English words)

> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 10:36 AM, And Rosta<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>> Logan Kearsley, On 25/04/2011 06:11:
> [...]
>>> Well, you did just also say:

>>> and pure predicate logic requires counting, unless you restrict it so
>>> predicates are only allowed to have a small maximum number of
>>> arguments and clauses are only allowed to nest a certain maximum
>>> number of levels.
>>
>> In what way does predicate logic require counting?
>>
>> I meant rules referring to the nth element in some ordered structure (where
>> n>  2).
>>
>> Are you thinking of the notational device of distinguishing arguments by
>> linear order? This is purely notational, extrinsic to the structure of
>> logical forms. Moreover, it's only the rules specifying the semantic
>> interpretation of the predicate that need to be able to distinguish among
>> the arguments.
>
> That's precisely what I'm thinking of. The notational device is of
> prime importance, since that's what language *is*. It's extrinsic to
> raw logical forms, but you can't vocalize raw logical forms; you have
> to have some serialized notation for them.

Quite. But predicate logic is not the notation, it's what the notation represents. Predicate logic itself doesn't require counting. I don't know if we're disagreeing. I had said (in effect) that language is a notation for predicate--argument structure, and that counting is impossible for language. If your response was intended to be that that means that standard predicate logic notation is impossible, then I agree with your line of reasoning, but I think there's a flaw either in the premise that counting is impossible or the premise that standard predicate logic notation requires counting. I think it's the latter premise that's mistaken. Lojban places no limit on the number of arguments a predicate can have, but neither the available evidence nor my theoretical expectations make me think that bit of Lojban is unusable. Rather, I think it's possible to have a analysis in which there is a simple 1-1 mapping between a list of syntactic argument places and a list of semantic rol

es, and to the extent that the grammar allows one to refer to "the x586 sumti" (e.g. "se xi mu bi xa"), this is just a name for the argument position, with names (x1, x2, x3, x4, ... x586) in an ordered list and assigned toargument places by the same 1-1 mapping.

> Predicates with short
> argument lists can be dealt with easily, as demonstrated by the
> existence of configurational languages, as long as they are isolated.
> When you start nesting them, though, using one predicate as the
> argument to another, you either need parenthesization, which humans
> are bad at, or counting, which humans are also bad at.

How come you need parenthesization or counting? For Polish or Reverse Polish notation, for instance, you don't need either.

>>> "Oil. Now, here's a whole bunch of stuff, potentially lasting several
>>> minutes, about initially unrelated-seeming international politics. Is
>>> important because of what I just said."
>>
>> You can do it in English:
>>
>> "Oil, numerous plutocrats from all nations of the world -- and this is
>> something I am certain is true, having read it in today's newspaper -- have
>> spent many millions in hiring lobbyists to assure governments that we are
>> not going to run out of".
>>
>> So this aspect of Fith is neither unnatural nor impossible. But native
>> speakers of Fith might also cope better with English than native speakers of
>> English do.
>
> Even taking out the parenthetical, that's not a grammatical utterance
> in my idiolect of English. I would have to say "Oil is something
> that...."

Do you claim that you could not say "Bush, she wishes she hadn't voted for", and must instead say "Bush is someone that she wishes she hadn't voted for"? If yes, I doubt your ability to make accurate judgements of your own idiolect. If no, then there might be a specific problem with the example I gave (probably the spent--in link), though in that case one wouldn't expect it to be fixable by changing to "Oil is something that", but my overall point would stand (that you can have a very long distance dependency from "oil" to a gap much later in the sentence).

>> Both Fith and natlangs generate structures too difficult for humans to cope
>> with because of overtaxing short-term memory. Native Fith could cope with
>> much more complicated natlang utterances than humans can. And humans could
>> probably speak perfectly good Fith (give or take some of the stack
>> conjunctions), and understand it perfectly well, so long as the utterances
>> were within short-term memory capabilities.
>
> Well, yes. That's what Shallow Fith is. I have no problem with the
> idea that humans can *produce* a perfectly correct subset of Fith, and
> understand the same subset.

If "produce a subset" means "use of subset of the grammar", then I'm claiming that humans can use virtually the entirety of the grammar. If it means "produce only a subset of possible sentences", then humans can also produce only a subset of natlang sentences too, and Fith too, if they have memory limitations, can surely produce only a subset of Fith sentences.

>But just as you argue that nobody actually
> speaks formalized Lojban, they would not actually be speaking formal
> Fith.

This I disagree with.

> And in comprehension they would crippled by the fact that
> stylistically normal Fith necessarily taxes your brain to an extent
> that is avoided in stylistically normal natlangs.

I'm happy to accept that what is stylistically normal for Fith spoken by Fithians would be very different from what would be stylistically normal for Fith spoken by humans. Similar differences would be observable between stylistic norms of natlangs spoken by Fithians and natlangs spoken by humans.

> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM, And Rosta<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>> Logan Kearsley, On 17/04/2011 07:22:
>>>
>>> I've come to the conclusion that mathematical
>>> simplicity =/= linguistic simplicity; coming up with a minimal set of
>>> rules that's actually usable is quite a feat.
>>
>> Can you explain more. If I were asked, I'd say that mathematical simplicity
>> does match linguistic simplicity, and that coming up with a minimal set of
>> rules that's usable is trivially easy.
>>
>> But maybe by "linguistic simplicity" you mean not "grammatical simplicity"
>> but "ease of use".
>
> That is what I mean. The simplest possible sets of grammatical rules
> produce parse trees that are too complex to be useful for
> understanding all but trivially simple sentences. You need additional
> rules (increasing mathematical complexity) to provide ways of
> simplifying the parsing structure to make it easier for humans to use
> (linguistic simplicity).

Good. I understand your point. I don't think I agree, though: I tend to think the problem is not the simplicity of the grammatical rules so much as the amount of overt decomposition. (Of course, the two aren't independent: reduction of overt decomposition might reduce the simplicity of the grammatical rules.)

>> As for what is usable, I'd be interested to hear how you gauge usability and
>> what you think affects it. From my study of natlangs (or rather, just
>> English), I'd say that (1) semanticosyntactic structures are very deep and
>> nodeful, but are organized by simple combinatorics,
>
> They are deep if you write out *all* of it at once. But when I'm
> parsing speech, I don't build up a huge X-bar diagram in my head. I
> make use of those combinatoric rules to collapse subtrees into single
> nodes as quickly as possible. Having multiple kinds of nodes (Noun
> phrases vs. prepositional phrases vs. verb phrases, for example,
> rather than just generic predicates) increases mathematical
> complexity, but makes it a lot easier to figure out how best to
> collapse subtrees, which subtrees I need to keep in mind to reference
> or to add stuff to, etc. I doubt my brain ever keeps track of any
> predicate-equivalent more than three levels deep, and rarely even that
> far, no matter how complex the complete logical structure might be.

I expect you're right that natlang utterances can be parsed with a shallow stack. (I don't know of research on this, being ignorant of the literature; but it would make a good dissertation project.)

But were you finding that Palno equivalents of natlang sentences couldn't be parsed with an equally shallow stack? I'd find that somewhat surprising (though I'm going by gut feeling rather than careful empirical investigation).

>> (2) morphophonological
>> structures are vastly simpler, in that nonterminal and many terminal nodes
>> in syntax have no independent morphophonological exponent,
>> the challenge (for the engelanger) is to design the
>> correspondences between sentence syntax and sentence phonology in such a way
>> that the latter is as simple as possible (yet still, one would want to
>> insist, unambiguously encoding the syntax).
>
> I would argue that those two features are opposed to each other.
> Morphophonological structures are simpler than underlying semantic
> structures *because* they do not encode all of the necessary syntactic
> information explicitly. "As simple as possible while completely
> unambiguous" *may* not be particularly simple.

Exactly! Therein lies the challenge. If you discard the goal of unambiguousness, then (IMO) there's no point bothering.

In my own conlang, I've ended up opting for elegance (besides unambiguousness) over human usability. It may be that a genuine loglang cannot be usable, in the sense that it can't be used to unambiguously communicate propositions as complex as those that natlang utterances are used to communicate.

--And.