AUXLANG June 2011, Week 3

Re: Universal romanization

Risto Kupsala <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 20 Jun 2011 23:06:23 +0300

Steve wrote:
 > How about the confusion between different pronunciations of the same
 > name, such as through dialectal variation? I could discuss King George
 > III with James Chandler, and while we would pronounce "George"
 > differently, we would understand each other.

Then you would understand the different transcriptions too.
Pronunciation standards would emerge in time, and it is possible that
George in King George III would be transcribed differently than in
George Bush, for example "dzcodzc" and "dzcorxdzc".

Languages drift apart. There's a big difference between Stephanos
(stefanos) and Steve (stiv), and there is nothing wrong with that. It's
not auxlang's job to bring them together.

It is necessary to have standard transcriptions for names of cities and
important people. They are needed regardless of the sophistication of
the transcription system.

 >> (4) There would be rules for simplifying pronunciation, so
 >> "mispronunciations" would be predictable.
 >
 > That would help, but how do I distinguish between bad and proper
 > pronunciations of an unknown name? If what I hear is /kerk/, how do I
 > know whether that's the correct pronunciation or a simplified form
 > (assuming I'm not a trekker)?

How do you know it at present? And how do you connect it with the
English way to spell it? It could be spelled Curck, you know...

Do you see? My proposal is not going to make the matters worse than what
they already are!

Sometimes you have to ask people how to spell out names. It is common in
the international milieu, because names and ways to spell them are very
diverse. Universal sophisticated transcription would require the same,
but less often. And it would give you the ability to pronounce any name
at least satisfactorily.

 >> This issue is a sidetrack in language development, but worth considering
 >> anyway.
 >
 > It is an important issue because it's a practical issue for everyday
 > life. It's the solution I question, not the importance of the problem.
 > (I touched on the problem a while back on my auxlang blog:
 > http://auxlanglab.blogspot.com/2011/03/name-game.html )

You seem to be leaning towards "native" auxlang names. That gives
predicability, maybe. But there's still the problem of family names and
place names.

-- Risto