CONLANG  June 2011, Week 4

CONLANG June 2011, Week 4

Re: conscript fontification query

David Peterson <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 25 Jun 2011 13:17:25 -0700

[Note: The views expressed in the following e-mail are my own; in no way do they reflect the views or opinions of the LCS.]

On Jun 25, 2011, at 6◊08 AM, Michael Everson wrote:

> "If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car."

Michael, there's rather a large difference between cleaning a car in which one has accidentally shot another human being before its owner's wife comes home and composing an e-mail on a listserv. One of the key differences seems to be that with an e-mail, one has the time to reflect on what one is about to type and consider how it's going to be received not just by the intended recipient, but by the 500 or so others who are on the listserv—and, indeed, the entire internet (recall that the Conlang Archives are freely viewable by anyone with an internet connection and a search engine, and that they persist through time [unlike many bulletin board-style fora, where old threads are continually purged after a time]). And another nice feature about e-mail is that if, let's say, one has only five minutes a day to compose an e-mail for a listserv like Conlang, one can actually wait two or three days to compose it and review it by saving a draft. After all, unlike a forum, the thread won't be buried by the time one gets back to it, and the original e-mails can be revisited rather easily.

In And's original e-mail, he asked about creating a font for his script, and nothing else. I, for example, didn't respond because it seems like the problem is not just a font problem, but a font and a word processing application problem, and I have no idea how to tackle both (incidentally, And, nothing can be done to the *font* to force it to be boustrophedon. I'm afraid part of the problem is making it work in an application/program, and that goes well beyond my expertise, and I'd have no idea how to advise you). As background, he described his language's writing system. Nowhere did he say, "I've created this writing system for my naturalistic conlang Livagian. Can I ask for some comments on whether it works as a natural writing system?" And the reason he didn't do that is because: (a) he wasn't interested in getting feedback on that aspect of the system, but, more importantly (b) Livagian is not intended to be a naturalistic language like other conlangs.

Of course, as a relative newcomer, you're not expected to know every detail about list members' conlangs. In my opinion, though, if you intend to respond to a question that wasn't asked—and to do so rudely—you're required to, at the very least, get some background info on what it is you're commenting on. As it is, your comments are entirely without purpose—and rather like criticizing Esperanto because all its nouns end in /-o/ without exception, which is something not seen in a natural language. It's certainly a valid point (nouns aren't so regular in any known language), but it misses the entire point of the purpose of Esperanto, which isn't intended to behave like a natural language in this respect—and renders the criticism moot, and makes the criticizer seem entirely ridiculous.

That's rather what your comments here have achieved. Part of the reason the Conlang list has persisted successfully over the years is because we tend not to tolerate rudeness without cause. This isn't the case with a lot of online communities, where, indeed, ruthlessly criticizing others where possible is valued, but, I can assure you, this isn't one of those communities.

A key point here (and one which may be new to you; I'm not sure what familiarity you have with conlanging from the conlanger's perspective) is that conlangs are created for different purposes. Some are created to look as nearly as possible like natural languages from some other time and place, and constructive criticism on how to help those conlangs achieve that aim is welcome. Other conlangs, though, are created for different purposes, and until one knows what those purposes are, criticism is impossible. There's a slight difference when it comes to someone new to the game who's creating their first language and doesn't have a particular goal in mind, but And Rosta has been conlanging quite awhile (longer than I've been alive [I'm 30]), and is a professor of linguistics at the University of Central Lancashire (you can get this information, by the way, by entering "and rosta" into a search engine; his LinkedIn profile is the fifth hit on Google): I can assure you that he knows what he's doing with his own language.

As a long time list member (about ten years now), let me add that the virtual permanence of the archives is something to keep in mind when posting. There are some posts I've made to Conlang over the years (especially in the early part of my tenure) that I'm rather ashamed of, and wish I could have back. For better or worse, though, those messages are permanently viewable by anyone on the net, and will be for the foreseeable future (barring some sort of internet catastrophe). As one who's made mistakes in the past, I'd caution you to keep this in mind when posting in the future.

-David Peterson