CONLANG  July 2011, Week 1

CONLANG July 2011, Week 1

Re: The prodigal son is back!

Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 2 Jul 2011 19:47:35 +0200

On 2 July 2011 04:40, Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> --- On Fri, 7/1/11, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>  not to mention the kumquat liqueur :P ).
>
> Kumquat liqueur, wha!!!!!!???

Yes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KoumQuatLiqueur.jpg

Kumquats were introduced on Corfu a long time ago, and they use them mainly
to produce a special sweet liqueur and cakes. I like it a lot :) . It's
strong, but it doesn't give you a hangover when you wake up the next day :P
.

> > Linguistically speaking, my holidays were unremarkable. I
> > did get to
> > practise my Greek, thankfully, and got many compliments for
> > my
> > pronunciation. But I did notice that I still have
> > difficulties following
> > people when they speak Greek at normal speed.
>
> My experience with Spanish was the same. I think the native Span.
> professors in college slowed down a bit for us, but during my 3-month trip
> to S.America back in 1967, after the first 2-3 weeks (and hardly ever
> speaking English), my comprehension got a lot better. I'm sure the average
> Latinos down there weren't slowing down for the poor gringo. If you were
> able to spend several months in Greece (speaking minimal
> French/Engl./Dutch/whatever), I think you'd find your comprehension
> improving too.

True. I guess the fact that our hosts spoke Dutch as well as Greek (one is
Greek, but was born in Antwerp and grew up in Flanders, and his wife is
Dutch, but has been living for 30 years in Greece) didn't help :) .

> Admittedly now I'm rusty, but with Hispanics in the US I have trouble--
> they talk much faster than S.Americans IME, and of course I'm not accustomed
> to Caribbean and Mexican dialects.

My main difficulty is remembering the vocabulary. I also still lack the
instinct I have in Romance and Germanic languages to recognise related
words.
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/