CONLANG  July 2011, Week 2

CONLANG July 2011, Week 2

Re: Conlang/-culture personal naming practices

Sam Weston <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 8 Jul 2011 13:26:17 -0500

In my world, Kor, the Illuthai (speakers of Illukan) have a naming system
that goes like the following:

- ai- (prefix; means "of," in the context of naming)
- Origin (conjoined with "ai-" to be "ai-[Origin];" usually a name of a
place or tribe).
- Personal Name (such as "Lamesu" or, in my case, "Sam").
- Family or Clan/Tribe Name (such as "Tonsue" or "Weston").
- Profession, Military Rank, or Title (either is optional).

This may be a long naming process (YOU try reading: "ai-Malstidel Lamesu
Tonsue Malanate*," three times fast!), but it works very well in a
highly-populated, magical world that has no modern technology to identify
someone.

However, luckily, there is a "short name" system that's just like ours; just
use the personal and family names, if you want to refer to someone
personally. In something like an "official" context, you'd hear the full
name.

* "ai-Malstidel Lamesu Tonsue Malanate" = "(person) from Malstidel, Lamesu
Tonsue, Mage."

--
Sam Weston