CONLANG  July 2011, Week 2

CONLANG July 2011, Week 2

Re: Conlang/-culture personal naming practices

Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Jul 2011 20:31:25 +0200

On 8 July 2011 18:20, BPJ <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> What about others' conlangs/-cultures?

I've talked before about the naming practices in Moten, but I might as well
do it again, for those who weren't there the first times ;) .

First, of course I'm aware of the mismatch of having a language spoken by a
single amnesiac foundling having a detailed description of such an eminently
cultural phenomenon as naming. I don't really try to justify it (after all,
the fictional background of Moten is just an excuse for me to do as I see
fit :P ), but if I was pushed in a corner I'd say naming is probably
considered a vital part of one's identity, and since part of the name is
chosen by the person themself by the age of 16, they are asked to think
about it and study the Moten art of naming from an early age. That would
explain why a 10-year-old foundling who lost his memory of everything but
his native tongue would still remember the naming practices of his culture.

Moten names are made of four parts, and four parts only. Names cannot be
extended, and they can't be shortened either (i.e. mononyms are not
allowed). That said, a child always starts with only three names, as the
fourth is something they have to choose themselves by the age of 16.

The first part of the name is what I call the "first name". Unlike a
European first name, it's hardly ever used to call a person. And for good
reason: the first name must be chosen from a closed list of ten epicene
terms, so it's hardly a unique identifier ;) . Basically, the first name is
only ever mentioned when a person's full name is used. The ten first names
are (in alphabetic order):

Agad, Bo|n /boɲ/, Fomnu, |Lepo /ʎepo/, Mujin, Simaj, |Sela /tsela/, Vlen,
Zudik, |Zute /dzute/

(The Moten transliteration is close enough to IPA, so I just gave the
pronunciations of the few words that use specific Moten letters). Those
words don't have any meaning. They are just labels, and are chosen by the
parents usually solely for euphonic reasons.

The second part of the name is the family name. It works similarly to modern
European last names, in that it is transmitted from parent to child. The
only difference is that the child can use the family name from both parents
(sequentially, never at the same time), and change from one to the other at
will. The parents can do that with their family name as well, but each one
only transmits one of those to the child, normally following a matrilinear
line (so basically a child normally gets the matrilinear family names of
their grandmothers :) ). A family name is usually a meaningful compound in
Moten, but it doesn't have to be. Some family names got eroded with time and
have lost their connection to their original meaning.

The third part of the name is the given name. It's a name traditionally
given to the child by the mother at birth. It's basically the name the child
goes by as long as they don't have the fourth part of their name, and the
name used by a person's family to call them, whatever their age. It's always
meaningful in Moten, and almost always a compound. It usually symbolises the
hopes of the mother for her child.

The fourth and final part is the chosen name (I know it looks like Jörg
Rhiemeier's Old Albic system. It's indeed very comparable, but that's pure
coincidence. I invented this system a long time ago, long before I'd heard
of Old Albic - indeed, long before I'd got on Internet! :P -). It's the only
part of their name a person does not get at birth, because they are supposed
to choose it themselves. They can do that at any time but at the latest by
their 16th birthday. Typically people choose that name between their 12th
and their 16th birthday. Once chosen, it's the name they go by for everyone
but their relatives, and anyone who isn't a relative but knew them already
before choosing that name are supposed to switch to using it. The chosen
name can be anything: a meaningful Moten word or compound, a meaningless
string of sounds chosen purely for euphonic reasons, even a word from
another language! The only restriction is that it must fit Moten
phonotactics, which means that foreign words must often get adapted to the
restricted Moten phonology.

It's allowed to change one's chosen name later in life, but that's frowned
upon. Changing the other names is a no-no. The only freedom is in choosing
which parent's last name you want to wear at any given time.

To give you an example of name in Moten, my informant (the amnesiac
foundling) had the following name when he was found (yeah, an amnesiac who
remembers his own name?):

|Sela Jemufan Atlinan.

|Sela is of course the first name, Jemufan the family name (it's a
transparent compound, but I'm not sure what it means. You see, Moten is a
bit weird in that its compounds are normally head-last, but they can be
head-first when the second part is taken adjectively - because adjectives
follow nouns. In this case, _ufan_ can be an adjective meaning "great", so
that compound could mean "great stream" but also "greatness of the stream").
Atlinan is his given name, and means literally "firebird". After meeting me,
he decided to take my initials as chosen name, so now his full name is:

|Sela Jemufan Atlinan C.G. (pronounced [sidji]).

To friends and outsiders he should be addressed as "C.G.", while his family
will call him "Atlinan". His full name would only be used in formal settings
and on forms.
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/