CONLANG  July 2011, Week 2

CONLANG July 2011, Week 2

Re: OT: My full legal name is now Sai. W00t!

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 13 Jul 2011 18:56:30 -0700

--- On Sat, 7/9/11, Sai <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Combining two for one:

> On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 15:34, Padraic
> Brown <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:

> Again though, I'm chary of this seeming supposition of
> yours that my
> "real" name is somehow determined by what's on my DMV
> identification,
> rather than by what I'm called IRL by the vast majority of
> people I interact with.

Actually, this is *not* my supposition at all! I should have thought it
was clear enough that I defend the right of people to choose their own
names and that governments by in large should just stay out of people's
business. So long as your plan isn't to defraud, and so long as your
plan isn't to run away from some previous crime, then the state has
little interest in what you call yourself and therefore what we can call
you!

> > For what little it's worth, I don't see entertainers
> as people for whom
> > any kind of priviledge is reserved. They really are,
> to my way of thinking,
> > about as irrelevant a group of people as you could ask
> for. That we, as a
> > culture, choose to fawn over them like they're special
> has always been a
> > great mystery to me.
>
> Likewise, but here I take the queer theorist's definition
> of
> 'privilege'. I don't have to agree with it to point out
> that it very clearly exists. :-P

Indeed!

> > Well, obviously, the name given to one at (or before)
> birth is an
> > important one -- but it isn't really *YOUR* name. It's
> the name someone
> > else decided to call you in a time when you could make
> the choice for
> > yourself. Usually, this name says something about your
> heritage or your
> > family. It might be the name of an ancestor or a
> combination of names or
> > even a mingling of names into one new name. Some names
> are I think ill-
> > chosen or ill-crafted, but in the end, it's not really
> *YOURS*.
>
> That's certainly how I feel about it — and why I think
> the tradition
> of "childhood names" vs self-determined adult "real" names
> is a good thing.

Agreed.

> But I also think that, as far as I can tell at least,
> others don't
> feel this way; they do seem to identify with their
> birthnames.

In fact, of the replies I've read, it seems that ours is a minority
opinion.

> >> It's not much better than the Roman practice of
> calling
> >> their kids by ordinal numbers.
> >
> > But in an age where infant and child mortality, even
> for those who could
> > afford to hire a quack, er, doctor, naming by numbers
> might make some
> > sense. Why bother with a really brilliant name, only
> to have the kid
> > die in a couple years?
>
> *snerk*
>
> Maybe, but you could at least name 'em something better
> once they're four? :-P
>
> Or just pick from the standard set of cultural praenomen
> and actually
> remember your kids' names rather than their birthorder,
> even if half
> of 'em do die young…

This is a tradition in my family; and I think in others as well. All
my mother's sisters (and herself) were named "Mary". Other names were
given later. I think probably at baptism. I'm sure the thinking was, even
if you die at birth or within a couple days, and without the benefit of
baptism, at least you'd have a name!

> > Interesting indeed! I had always assumed that you were
> > Welsh! :S
>
> *laugh* Nope. Born in US of naturalized Russian
> immigrants.

Indeed, well, as VVil Shaxespear said, "Wot's in a name? A toad by any other name would still be green."

> > It appears you did your due dilligence! Of all the
> "inner names" I've
> > thought of for myself, none of them have passed these
> tests. Mind you,
> > that's not to say my given name does either!
>
> Care to elaborate on this (at length)? I shared mine, your
> turn. ;-)

Actually, when I was little, I wanted to be a Phillip. Dunno why anymore.
That doesn't suit any better than what I've got! Much later, I considered
changing my surname to "Dunn" -- I guess I figured, if I'm going to be
saddled with an ethnic name, I might as well go whole hog.

I also considered changing it to some other ancestral surname.

> > One thing I do know is that I would not choose
> mononymy for myself. And
> > when I was considering a legal move, I would have
> changed my surname
> > rather than drop it entirely.
>
> Is this out of wariness of the pragmatic issues, or out of
> a priori identity (or something else)?

No, I actually like multiple names.

> > As for your question what I'd call myself if there
> were no hinderances --
> > that I really couldn't say. I haven't found a Name
> that entirely suits.
> > I've used Elemtilas as an online name for quite a
> while, but while I think
> > it's a lovely enough name, it's not entirely suitable
> as an actual Name.
> > (It is a Talarian word meaning "starry heavens", and
> in that part of the
> > World can be used as a name. Obconlang: the Talarians
> differentiate between
> > the daytime heavens, amtar; the nighttime heavens,
> elemtilas; and cloud
> > obscured sky, hanaffar.) You're certainly welcome to
> call me Elemtilas
> > here; but my given name will do as well.
>
> I think it's quite a lovely name indeed. Why is it
> unsuitable? What salient others are there?

It's ethnic. It's another ideosyncracy of mine. I'm sure I field somewhere
between one and five queries a day to the effect of "*what* is your
name??" or "oh, what kind of name is that?" or "how do you pronounce your
name??" I don't have a problem with ethnic names in general terms -- after
all, what name is *not* ethnic in some way!? -- I guess I have a problem
when the ethnic name is *mine*! ;)))

Nobody can ever pronounce it right, and I don't even pronounce it right.
Nobody can ever spell it right; I always have to spell it out half a
dozen times, and even then it ends up being recorded as "Bardrick" or
some nonsense like that. Heck, even when I *write* it on a form, the
likelihood of some official berk spelling it wrong is still pretty high.

I would have not minded it as a middle name; I would not have minded a
*less* ethnic ethnic name (like Sean, clearly ethnic, but well enough
known in the US to not cause much fuss).

--- On Sun, 7/10/11, Sai <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > Yes. Just an ideosyncracy. I don't consider
> "celebrities" to be this
> > special group of people who we have to listen to and
> take seriously and
> > follow or worship as if they were minor gods. They are
> simply people with
> > a particular gift that they have put to good use. That
> some choose to
> > use stage names while others do not is really neither
> here nor there. I
> > simply hold that this is an affectation of the art.
> They're welcome to it!
>
> It seems to me that you are being inconsistent.

Okay, well, you asked my opinion and I gave it.

> Do you know anybody who would refer to Molière as M.
> Poquelin? Would you?
>
> No.

As I said, we identify very many figures by one name only. You are
correct -- I would not call Moliere by his given name, but rather by this
stage name. I am not aware if his stage name was ever any kind of legal
name, or just a stage name. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar!

> Likewise, you classify Teller as not his "real" name,
> despite the fact
> that both everyone IRL *and* the government calls him only
> by that.

Actually, I specifically noted that Teller *is* his real name. Out of that
whole list, his is one that I could verify having been legally recognised
as such, as well as generally and professionally. The others may or may
not "real" names. As for the others, I am not aware of any particular
statement by them to the effect that they considered their identity to be
defined by those stage or pen names. If they did, that's fine! If they
didn't, that's fine too!

The only person who can definitively declare what his own name is is the
person himself! If I am ignorant of such a declaration, then I can only
go by what I hear in the media or read somewhere.

> What's my "real" name?

Is this a trick question?

I saw the paper and I have it on reasonably sane testimony (yours) that
your real name is "Sai". I have your definitive declaration, and that to
me is better than any webpage or drivers license.

And for what little it's worth, since this is a name of you own choosing,
I hold "Sai" to be realer name for you than my own given name is for me!

> > I don't "feel" one way or the other about this!
>
> Surely you do.

Actually, no. Please don't confuse "feeling one way or another"  with "making a judgement" about something. This is not an emotional
exercise. I simply distinguish between "stage names", "pen names", etc.
which I hold to be professional or artistic names from "aliases" and "nick
names" which I hold to be personal, intimate and identifying of self. I
certainly don't demand or expect your agreement with the way I do this.
I'm simply describing my own thoughts on the matter.

> You're making judgments about what is or isn't somebody's real name.

Yes, indeed. I don't deny this, nor apologise for it. I see stage names
as something like the throw-away nicks some people use on different
online forums. Some artists have only one; others have many. I will say
that the judgements I've made are not critical or disparaging or emotional
in any way. I really have no emotion one way or another whether someone
calls himself by a nickname or a stage name or has legally changed his
name or uses a screen name or whatever. I do reserve the right to
categorise these names and psudonyms according to my internal schema! And
that is as far as any judgements go!

> Your decision criterion doesn't appear to be
> either objective or consistent, thus it's necessarily a
> "feeling". ;-)

I never claimed to be either objective or consistent. It is what it is,
and it actualy works pretty well for me.

> >> Do you even know which of those are
> state-recognized mononyms and
> >> which are "merely" artistic affectations? Does it
> matter?
> >
> > One of these is clearly a legally recognised mononymn,
> Teller.
>
> Molière would also be a legally recognized name under the
> common law of the US and UK.

Maybe, maybe not. I don't claim any knowledge of *how* he used this stage
name or whether or not he identified himself by it for legal or personal
matters. You may know more about that than me. Nor do I know the
intricacies of mid-17th century English common law as regards personal
names!

> > They are doing it for reasons of profession and
> perhaps notoriety
> …
> >  you are seeking a more appropriate expression of
> your
> > own identity as a person.
>
> How do you know or distinguish these different intentions?
>
> I don't know any of these people personally, so I would be
> extremely
> hesitant to say anything at all about identity as a person
> vs their professional identity…

Fair enough. I have no issue with this. If a person is in the spotlight as
it were, and they use a stage name, I make the judgement that this name is
in fact a matter of professional identity rather than personal identity.
I *never* assume that there must be a strict division here! It is truly
possible that an artist considers his stage name to be both a professional
and a personal true name. I reserve the right to change my mind when new
information warrants.

Case in point: I had actually heard of Penn & Teller before reading your
post. My original assumptions were that a) Teller was the last name of
one of the two people involved (could have been the given name, but the
surname is more likely) and b) that "Penn & Teller" jointly and perhaps
"Penn" and "Teller" severally are stage names / professional monikers.

Upon replying to your list, I read the WP article on same and discovered
that at least Teller had legally changed his name from whatever his oldname
was to simply "Teller". So, "Penn & Teller" may still be a stage name,
but I know that at least the Teller part of the duo uses his real name
professionally. His declaration, in this case publicised and sanctioned
by the state, serves to cause me to alter my assumption about the name.

Another case in point: you yourself. My original assumption about you, as
I mentioned previously, was that your oldname was "Sai Emrys". That's the
name you signed to your emails, and I think that's the name I addressed
you as when I signed up for LCS. I had no idea until this last week that
this wasn't your legal name; and of course, that doesn't really matter.
Now, you've given us the news that "Emrys" is out, and indeed your whole
previous legal name is out and just "Sai" is in and definitive. So, old
assumptions get the boot based on new information. This new information
consists of your own declaration, supported by state sanctioned documents.

If I get new information that Cher and Seneca and Bach and Einstein are
all legal mononyms, then I shall have to throw out my previous assumptions
about them as well. It's no big deal, really!

Padraic