CONLANG  August 2011, Week 1

CONLANG August 2011, Week 1

Re: Evolving towards Semitoid, erat: ablaut diachronics

Alex Fink <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 7 Aug 2011 01:43:20 -0400

On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 15:01:12 -0400, Basilius <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 19:30:26 -0400, Alex Fink wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 10:27:49 -0400, Basilius wrote:
>>
>>>Also, for an example of a complex (Semitic-style) apophony in a
>>>con-diachronic scenario (a never-finished project of mine), you may check
>>>this old thread:
>>>
>>>http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0109D&L=CONLANG&P=R17867&D=1&T=0
>>>http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0111D&L=CONLANG&P=R1375&D=1&T=0
>>>http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0111D&L=CONLANG&D=1&T=0&P=7581
>>
>>Hm, some interesting choices.
>>
>>I guess the primary thing that strikes me strangely is your post-vocalic
>>differentiations (i,a,u)_C, for both phonetic and feelish reasons.  I
>>suppose you did the diversification to maintain as much root distinctiveness
>>as you could?
>
>The idea was that the root consonants should not be subject to any new
>alternations, as much as possible (for root alternations inherited from the
>ancestor are already too many - that is, for a "Semitoid" language). (I am
>not sure if by "root distinctiveness" you meant exactly that.)

By "root distinctiveness" I meant that roots with distinct proto-vocalism
stay distinct, that *C1aC2 and *C1iC2 and *C1uC2 don't just all fall
together while you're smashing all the original vowels distinctions.

If the _only_ motivation had been that root consonants shouldn't gain new
alternations, then surely the simplest way to achieve that is by having no
conditional reactions of Cs in your sound changes at all.

>>The phonetic reason is that the best I can make of the general scheme for
>>these colourings (and there should certainly be a general scheme!) has (i)
>>as a palatalising element, (u) a labialising one, and (a) ... mostly a
>>leniting one?  But lenitions of consonants don't usually condition on
>>quality of adjacent vowels at all.
>
>Well, no. That is, (i)_C is indeed some kind of palatalization, but (u)_C is
>mostly velarization, and (a)_C is neither. Also, with sibilants (and maybe
>laterals) (u)_C and (a)_C might be opposed as retroflex vs. low alveolar
>(cf. the "ruki rule" in satem IE languages).
>
>I didn't want labialization, for labialized consonants would realistically
>interact with vowel qualities a lot, and wouldn't produce anything
>particularly interesting in the end.

True, if phenomena like persistence of /u/-vocalism just next to
labialisable Cs is uninteresting.

I thought Semitic itself was recoverable to have worked this way, though,
for what it's worth.  I forget my source, and may be mistaken, but in
Arabic, it was asserted that native root /u/-vowels generally only occur in
wazn-paradigms which have counterparts with an /i/ in its place (at least
among nouns, let's say, to be precise), and that the roots which show these
tend to have a velar (or further back?) C adjacent to the /u/.

>That is, so finely tuned interaction of
>vowels across syllable boundaries wouldn't look natural with the intervening
>labialized (palatalized, etc.) consonants not affecting it in any way.

Indeed, or vice versa such interaction leaving coarticulations (these
already being phonemic) on the consonants.

>Therefore, I preferred the scenario where such consonants just didn't exist
>by the moment when the more complicated part of vowel assimilations began;
>and it is relatively easy to devise palatalization and velarization mutating
>into something else which is distinct from the pre-existing PoA's, but with
>labialization it is difficult to obtain anything different but bilabials -
>which are not distinct from what Latin already has.

Well, with sufficient ingenuity I'm sure you could have pulled a series of
linguolabials out of there, or the like.  But sure.

>I guess you got the impression of (a)_C working as lenition from the
>treatment of (a)_b and (i)_b?

That and (a)_t > [D].  What's up with this one?
Also, does that mean there's no medial [t] left?  I'd hope not...

>>The feelish reason is that Semitic seems marvelously resistant, presumably
>>on account of its morphology, to any conditioned mergers of consonants, i.e.
>>to anything that makes it look like two phonemically distinct nonzero Cs are
>>alternating.
>
>Yes, and this is my favorite example of sound change being conditioned by
>morphological techniques used by the language.
>
>But my project was about **achieving** such Semitoid condition, which
>appears to be a very different thing, for those morphological techniques
>just aren't there yet at the moment when the consonant alternations emerge;
>and in the final condition, they shouldn't look like transparent
>alternations anymore.

True.  To go meta, I guess I'd be wary that the subsequent rules might not
erode enough of the consonant alternations away so that, once the
nonconcatenative consonant-skeleton thing got off the ground, it would have
the analogical power to poof the remaining traces of it away.
Of course, in the particular case at hand, the only things this is a
potentially reasonable objection to are any alternations which in fact dō
survive...

>>(Modern Hebrew is the obvious counterexample but its current
>>phonology is really an importation of German's.)
>
>Mmmm, I don't think so. The begadkefat alternations also work in Aramaic
>(and it's not just Biblical Aramaic that has them); if any external
>influence was in play, it should have come from this source in the first
>place. But even this may be unnecessary, for some spirantization seems to
>happen in late forms of Akkadian as well, i. e. it could be an areal thing
>(ultimately, one might explain spirantizations in Greek by the same local
>"vogue").

Yes.  I tried to frame my statement carefully to exclude the original
begadkefat alternations.  They're clear examples of consonant allophony that
has survived in Semitic; what they don't do is confound two phonemically
distinct consonants.  Even in modern Aramaic, as I understand it, either
[fvTDxG] are still allophones of [pbtdkg], or they've been marginally split
into two phonemes by geminate reduction or something -- except in the
instances and varieties where they've merged back in (I think only [TD] have
anywhere).

But, in modern Hebrew, pairs of protophonemes have had allophones fall
together without merging entirely: /b/ [b~v] with */w/ now [v], and /k/
[k~X] with both */q/ now [k] and */X\/ now [X].  _This_ is the thing that
seems against "the Semitic nature" to do, and which I was ascribing to
German influence.  (Or maybe Slavic, whatever.)

>>The consonant alternation
>>traces that these changes leave, e.g. of the _t_ in your first conjugation
>>table in endings like _-a:tis_, feel extremely un-Semitic to me.
>
>True, these don't have very straightforward parallels in more conservative
>Semitic languages. But the idea was, rather, that (e. g.) /j/, /z/ and /r/
>(as reflexes of internal -t-) work more like different suffixes. A vague
>parallel to this could be /t/, /?/ and zero as (the consonant component of)
>feminizing suffixes in Arabic: the choice depends on the vocalization model
>of the derivand,

Wait, really?  I thought it depended basically on the following material.

>but since no such alternation ever affects root consonants,
>there's no gain in describing this as a morphonological alternation rather
>than allomorphy. (With my project, there's still some parallelism in
>choosing between the different reflexes of e. g. _-Vtis_ and _-Vtum_ etc.,
>but even this seems to permit a description without alternations, for the
>set of morphemes involved is limited.)
[...]
>In particular, one problem I had to address was vowels in inflections being
>word-final in some forms but word-internal in others (e. g. in verbs:
>_-a:s_, _-at_ vs. _-a:mus_, _-a:tis_, also _-a:bam_, _-a:tum_ etc.). To
>preserve the difference between (e. g.) conjugation classes in most forms, I
>needed the quality of the internal vowel to be reflected *somewhere*; and
>having it encoded in the following consonant seemed a natural choice, for it
>also helped the mechanics of sound changes in suffixes to be in some
>conformity with those working on non-initial root consonants.

Why was preserving the differences between conjugation classes a priority?
(Or is there no reason beyond artistic licence?)

>>Relatedly, for things like getting rid of potential quadriliterals, [...]
>
>This wasn't a high priority; Semitic languages allow for a lot of
>quadriliteral roots, and C4 in my Semitoid language will very often look
>like a dummy suffix, due to lots of phoneme mergers (with reflexes of
>consonants and clusters that do indeed occur in suffixes).

Fair enough.  I had assumed that quadriliteral elimination was the reason
for the existence of your change 4 in the 2001 thread.  If not that, then
was it rather meant to erode more consonants in inflectional material away
so that the daughter could have more vowel contrasts in inflection?

>[...] >it feels
>>more Semitoid to me to approach the problem not phonologically but rather
>>with morphological reshapings.  E.g. for one, frequent Latin suffixes could
>>just stay in place in the templates, like the Semitic m- prefix does, and
>>retain the root / suffix division.  After setting those aside, and after
>>your cluster reductions, there probably aren't very many Latin bases that
>>are quadriliteral, so I'd want to let morphological analogy just truncate
>>them to fit the root canon as needed (starting with dropping a glide / weak
>>consonant if there is one in any position).
>
>I am not sure I understand your idea without examples. Can you give a couple?

Well, perhaps not good ones: at least I'm drawing a blank on nat-Semitic
ones.  But the idea is that if there was some strong analogical pull to
eliminate quadriliterals, and e.g. a root like ?\-w-d would have forms like
/?\Vd/ with no w manifest, then it would seem likely that a hypothetical
*?\-w-d-r would get cut down to ?\-d-r.

>>Oh yeah, and that vowel change you called artificial?  It's totally
>>artificial :-p
>
>You mean, this one?
>
>>> u: {... I} > o": > Iw
>>> i: {... U} > u": > Uj
>
>Honestly, I think it's totally plausible by itself (think of possible
>diphthongizations at the early stages); what may look artificial is that the
>result fits so nicely with the whole vowel alternation machinery.
>
>But maybe I should change this bit, indeed, to include just one very
>predictable irregularity :)

Sure, it's not ridiculously implausible enough by itself, though I would've
tried to used [y M] or the like rather than [y 2].  You have a height
difference arising ex nihilo and then a breaking sensitive to it, two
unexpected height dependences where one might have zero.  I guess it's
stranger for [M] to break, but not impossible (modern Russian can be said to
have done so, can't it?)

But, yeah, the artifice I was protesting was using sound change to get
morphological uniformity.  That's unfairly teleological sound change --
situations like this are the very reason morphological analogy was invented!
 (As it were.)

Alex