CONLANG  September 2011, Week 4

CONLANG September 2011, Week 4

Re: Defining terms (was: Inside jokes)

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Sep 2011 08:45:44 -0400

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 1:00 AM, Garth Wallace <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'm intrigued by the Iscariotists and Dydimists. What would the
> beliefs of a sect that claims to follow Judas Iscariot be like? Are
> the Dydimists gnostic?

There are indeed several branches of Gnostic Kristianity. I should note that in
the World, the orthodox party was never able to attain or maintain superiority.
So "orthodox" means less than it does *here*. It's just one of several broad
streams of Kristian thought. Neither of these two groups are Gnostics, however.

The Dydimists are followers of St. Thomas (evangelist and master of the sharma
or heavenly way). They are what I would call a non-liturgical, non-theological,
practical and primitive sect of Kristianity. They have no liturgy, no particular
tradition of prayer apart from the Pater Hemon, they believe in the Heavenly
Father and the Evangel (or Gospel) as taught by Ye Shue and transmitted to the
sharma masters.

Their emphasis is on Ye Shue's philosophy and on the practical expression of it
in society. Dydimists practice a kind of "consecration", which probably involves
a process of baptism, monastic education and commission to go and teach.
Dydimists are most active along the Silk Road to the north and along the
Shah's Highway in the south. So roughly Ehrran, Bactria, the Indish empires,
the various Hellado-Indo-Parsa-Judeo-Buddhist kingdoms to the north and east
of the greater powers. Some teachers have been known to have penetrated into
the West and a couple have gone as far as the Eastlands.

They only have two scriptures: the Simrat which is an amalgamated work of
psalms and archaic Hebrew wisdom literature (roughly corresponding to Coheles /
Ecclesiastes and the Pslams of David) and the Efangelet which consists of
the gospels of Thomas and the Wellspring (roughly equivalent to the purported
Q gospel *here*).

Dydimists are as a rule itinerant teachers of the Way, wandering from place to
place, teaching, healing and uplifting the downtrodden. As far as
matters of Church
are concerned, the early Dydimists sent a representative to the first Council of
Jerusalem (in 51) but eschewed the trend of separation between Ye
Shue's followers
and the ancient Jewish traditions. Needless to say, they accept none
of the pronouncements
of any of the later Councils. While modern Dydimists don't consider
themselves "Jewish"
any more than they consider themselves "Kristian", they do maintain
the ancient practice
of attending both religions' places of worship while on their travels
and accept anyone
at their table.

Judas Thomas was the twin (dydimus / thomas both mean twin) of Ye Shue.

+++

The Iscariotians are an interesting lot. They are almost entirely
confined to the Decapoleis,
a small country surrounding the (former) Sea of Galillee; a quiet
country that has until very
recently led a quiet and unassuming existence. Since the last
destruction of Jerusalem
back in the 60s or 70s, the remaining Jews packed up and headed east
into the various
Hellado-Jewish kingdoms along the Silk Road. This left a war ravaged
land that would
eventually be settled by others, some of whom took up the local
religion of the Decapoleis
which was Iscariotism.

Theologically, it is fairly well aligned with what we'd call the
mainstream Kristian sects. It
holds than Man is a fallen race, sinful by nature, but is salvageable
by means of a divine
Saviour.

Iscariotism holds (incorrectly, I might add) that Judas Thomas and
Judas Iscariot are one
and the same. (Thus the Messiah and the Betrayer are divine twins.)
This point has
developed into a concept of Ye Shue and Judas as coredemptors -- both
are required for
the plan of Salvation to occur; and without the timely actions of both
acting in accord, Man
would be doomed to the clutches of the Deceiver.

Iscariotian scriptures include (but are probably not limited to) the
Gospel of Thomas (since
they hold that the Tomases are one man) and the Gospel of Judas (*not*
the recently
revealed one, but one I had written a couple years previous to that)
and the Wellspring.

The story of Judas's birth and early life are somewhat confused in
early Kristian (and thus
early Iscariotian) literature and tradition.

Judas is marked at birth by five curious birth marks and the
astrologer that is called in is
horrified by his horoscope and suggests that the mother quietly stifle
the baby before it
can grow up and do any great harm. She in stead places him in a small
cask and sets him
adrift in the sea -- he later turns up with a childless couple who
raise him. (And yes, it
should be obvious that Judas can not be both Jesus's twin *and* the
scion of some girl
who abandons him to the sea, only to be raised by some random couple!)
 Others hold that
he and Ye Shue were born together but later parted ways.

The story continues more or less as is recounted in the Gospel of the
Passion (the trial and
execution) where Judas betrays  Jesus and hangs himself on schedule.
Judas ends up
in chains in hell where a triumphant and utterly diabolical Evil One
is about to send his
armies of demons up into the Middle World for a bit of a holiday
complete with full
rampage and sackage and as many soul-slaves as one can take, thinking that now
that Jesus is dead and out of the way, there's no stopping the Evil Plan.

But, it is of course, not to be. A bright light is seen to pierce the
red skies over the
Iron City and in short order Ye Shue and his armies of angels arrive
to defeat the
demons of hell and set free the captives. There's a noisy and grand
war in which the
gates of hell are destroyed and Ye Shue takes the Evil One captive (in
chains) and
leads him away. At the last, Ye Shue comes back to the empited City only to find
poor Judas chained up in the highest tower. He reveals that the divine Plan went
according to plan -- the whole betrayal, trial, execution, resurrexion
and storming
of the Underworld thing.

Judas is regularly seen as a vile character and the worst kind of
betrayer by most
Kristian groups. The Iscariotists have simply turned that on its head
and have taken
him as the close foil to the heroic Jesus. His part could never have
been played out
if it were not for Judas's own sacrifice.

Not much is known of Isacriotian religious practice, but it is probably roughly
analagous to Kristian forms -- sacraments, liturgy, priesthood. It is known that
their churches are always underground, much like the Mithraic churches, but
there is no obvious connexion. Their symbol is a noose dangling from a T shaped
gallows.

“Thy Master is dead and buried, o Betrayer! And all thy hopes are as dust! Even
now, we prepare to invade the Middle Earth; and then storm the very
gates of Heaven;
for behold, the plans of the Most High are shattered and in ruins; and
all the victory
shall be ours!” They left him, then, and he despaired of all hope.  (Sut. Judas)

"... Judas perceived a piercing white light in the red sky; which grew
even to the
brightness of the Sun.  The demonic cry of triumph turned in an
instant to a moan of
despair and confusion as they understood who attacked them.  Smoke so obscured
the plain before the Gate, that none in the streets or markets of the
city could fathom
what passed outside the Iron City; but demons fled in every direction
in terror; and the
captive slaves of the city quailed in fear.  Great concussions were
heard; and behold,
the iron gates of the City fell to earth with an alarming crash that
resounded throughout
the place.  Then a figure could be seen approaching the palace; and
Judas perceived it
was the Dark One, pursued at speed by his own Master; and in the
courtyard before his
very eyes, the Dark One turned then, black wings spread preparing to
take flight, and
he faced Judas own wrathful lord; great angels and warriors
approaching from behind.
His Master leapt up, and caught the Dark One before he could make good
his escape;
and he brought him to earth, pummeling him and rending his flesh with
godly vim." (Sut.
Judas)

Padraic
--

En matinamver na, IC pirperato sarccim pros iscôm mathêtes; ett’ ica
pejeito adis nesser:

One morning, Jesus prepared food for his disciples; and he said to
them: look, what I do for you,
that, you do it for the poor.