CONLANG  September 2011, Week 4

CONLANG September 2011, Week 4

Re: Defining terms (was: Inside jokes)

Garth Wallace <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Sep 2011 11:49:57 -0700

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:45 AM, Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 1:00 AM, Garth Wallace <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> I'm intrigued by the Iscariotists and Dydimists. What would the
>> beliefs of a sect that claims to follow Judas Iscariot be like? Are
>> the Dydimists gnostic?
>
> There are indeed several branches of Gnostic Kristianity. I should note that in
> the World, the orthodox party was never able to attain or maintain superiority.
> So "orthodox" means less than it does *here*. It's just one of several broad
> streams of Kristian thought. Neither of these two groups are Gnostics, however.
>
> The Dydimists are followers of St. Thomas (evangelist and master of the sharma
> or heavenly way). They are what I would call a non-liturgical, non-theological,
> practical and primitive sect of Kristianity. They have no liturgy, no particular
> tradition of prayer apart from the Pater Hemon, they believe in the Heavenly
> Father and the Evangel (or Gospel) as taught by Ye Shue and transmitted to the
> sharma masters.
>
> Their emphasis is on Ye Shue's philosophy and on the practical expression of it
> in society. Dydimists practice a kind of "consecration", which probably involves
> a process of baptism, monastic education and commission to go and teach.
> Dydimists are most active along the Silk Road to the north and along the
> Shah's Highway in the south. So roughly Ehrran, Bactria, the Indish empires,
> the various Hellado-Indo-Parsa-Judeo-Buddhist kingdoms to the north and east
> of the greater powers. Some teachers have been known to have penetrated into
> the West and a couple have gone as far as the Eastlands.
>
> They only have two scriptures: the Simrat which is an amalgamated work of
> psalms and archaic Hebrew wisdom literature (roughly corresponding to Coheles /
> Ecclesiastes and the Pslams of David) and the Efangelet which consists of
> the gospels of Thomas and the Wellspring (roughly equivalent to the purported
> Q gospel *here*).
>
> Dydimists are as a rule itinerant teachers of the Way, wandering from place to
> place, teaching, healing and uplifting the downtrodden. As far as
> matters of Church
> are concerned, the early Dydimists sent a representative to the first Council of
> Jerusalem (in 51) but eschewed the trend of separation between Ye
> Shue's followers
> and the ancient Jewish traditions. Needless to say, they accept none
> of the pronouncements
> of any of the later Councils. While modern Dydimists don't consider
> themselves "Jewish"
> any more than they consider themselves "Kristian", they do maintain
> the ancient practice
> of attending both religions' places of worship while on their travels
> and accept anyone
> at their table.
>
> Judas Thomas was the twin (dydimus / thomas both mean twin) of Ye Shue.

Interesting. I asked because the existing real-world writings
associated with Thomas are frequently classed as gnostic (there's some
controversy now about whether the Gospel of Thomas really espouses any
gnostic ideas, but the Acts of Thomas clearly does).

Funny that you'd placed them along the Silk Road, since IRL St. Thomas
is supposed to have been sent to proselytize in India. Is that what
happened in your world's history?

> [...]
> demons of hell and set free the captives. There's a noisy and grand
> war in which the
> gates of hell are destroyed and Ye Shue takes the Evil One captive (in
> chains) and
> leads him away. At the last, Ye Shue comes back to the empited City only to find
> poor Judas chained up in the highest tower. He reveals that the divine Plan went
> according to plan -- the whole betrayal, trial, execution, resurrexion
> and storming
> of the Underworld thing.
>
> Judas is regularly seen as a vile character and the worst kind of
> betrayer by most
> Kristian groups. The Iscariotists have simply turned that on its head
> and have taken
> him as the close foil to the heroic Jesus. His part could never have
> been played out
> if it were not for Judas's own sacrifice.
>
> Not much is known of Isacriotian religious practice, but it is probably roughly
> analagous to Kristian forms -- sacraments, liturgy, priesthood. It is known that
> their churches are always underground, much like the Mithraic churches, but
> there is no obvious connexion. Their symbol is a noose dangling from a T shaped
> gallows.
>
> “Thy Master is dead and buried, o Betrayer! And all thy hopes are as dust! Even
> now, we prepare to invade the Middle Earth; and then storm the very
> gates of Heaven;
> for behold, the plans of the Most High are shattered and in ruins; and
> all the victory
> shall be ours!” They left him, then, and he despaired of all hope.  (Sut. Judas)
>
> "... Judas perceived a piercing white light in the red sky; which grew
> even to the
> brightness of the Sun.  The demonic cry of triumph turned in an
> instant to a moan of
> despair and confusion as they understood who attacked them.  Smoke so obscured
> the plain before the Gate, that none in the streets or markets of the
> city could fathom
> what passed outside the Iron City; but demons fled in every direction
> in terror; and the
> captive slaves of the city quailed in fear.  Great concussions were
> heard; and behold,
> the iron gates of the City fell to earth with an alarming crash that
> resounded throughout
> the place.  Then a figure could be seen approaching the palace; and
> Judas perceived it
> was the Dark One, pursued at speed by his own Master; and in the
> courtyard before his
> very eyes, the Dark One turned then, black wings spread preparing to
> take flight, and
> he faced Judas own wrathful lord; great angels and warriors
> approaching from behind.
> His Master leapt up, and caught the Dark One before he could make good
> his escape;
> and he brought him to earth, pummeling him and rending his flesh with

"Sut."? Does that abbreviation have anything to do with "sutra"? I
think it's neat that "sutta" and "gospel" both mean "good news".

I play around with inventing Christian sects (the Perfect Word,
Completists, Neo-Ebionites, and Lightbringers), though none of them
are really connected to any of my conlanging or worldbuilding
projects. I just have fun with them. I'd describe them but I don't
want to drift too far offtopic.