CONLANG  September 2011, Week 4

CONLANG September 2011, Week 4

Re: Timekeeping and conlangs

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 22 Sep 2011 16:28:44 -0700

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Koppa Dasao <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> How do your conlang keep time?
> How are days tracked? Weeks? Months? Years?
> What kind of era-system do you use, and can it be
> adapted to "real life"-eras?

In the World, there are several calendrical systems in use for keeping
track of the passage of time.

Calendars and horologues (clockwork or thaumological, depending on your
budget and toleration for testy Imps) are very common in both the
Eastlands and the Uttermost West. Clockwork is more common in the West,
thaumology is more popular in the East. Your standard horologue is based
upon the ancient Sumerian model of temporal division: a 24(ish) hour day
divided into 60 minutes each. Each hour and each minute of the hour is
ruled by some ancient god or other, his or her symbol appearing graven
upon the face of the timepiece. There are also clockwork calendars -- wind
em up and they're good for a year or more. There was once a great
clockwork calendar wheel in the courtyard of the Stathause in old Hoopelle,
but that's long been in ruins. Its face was about 20 foot in diameter
and showed the seasons, zodiac, motions of both moons, secular and
sacred holidays, months, fortnights and days.

This planet, Gea, revolves around the Sun in something like 365 days and
change. The calendar is therefore 12 months of 30 days each and an
intercalary interval, Twixtmath, towards the end of the year, between
Hornyng (February) and Yastermath (March). Each month is divided into
its fore and after halves, that is, a fortnight. In between each fortnight
is a "unweeked day", days that are not part of the weeks or fortnights.
So, March 1st through 14th and 16th through 29th are the two fortnights.
The 15th is the Dies Meridianus and the 30th is the Dies Januarius, for
"midmonth" and "opening/closing day".

Most folk don't reckon time by months. The scribes and priests do, but
most ordinary folk reckon by fortnights. Obviously, there are 24
fortnights in a year, and each has a name.

The months and fortnights. The names given are Auntimoanian (and old
Hoopelleish where different) and Rumelian. English is in parens.

I. Yastermath (H: Hrethemath, or just Rethe) or Marcciu (March)
	1. Oldyear
	2. Newyear

II. Hrosmath or Periliu (April)
	3. Fogstide
	4. Frostsdeath

III. Thrimmilco or Maju (May)
	5. Planting
	6. Flowertide

IIII. Erelithe or Huniyu (June)
	7. Sunswaxing
	8. Springs Ende

V. Afterlithe or Pintiliu (July)
	9. Stormhome
	10. Dogsummer

VI. Wodamath (H: Hayemath) or Oguscciu (August)
	11. Summerhome
	12. Halfyear

VII. Halimath (H: Harfstmath) or Seppembril (September)
	13. Longsummer
	14. Harvest Home

VIII. Winterfilleth (H: Yellowmath) or Occembril (October)
	15. Longharvest
	16. Hallowstide

IX. Bladmath (H: Neveling) or Novembril (November)
	17. Greatcoats
	18. Longnights

X. Ereyehulo or Decimbril (December)
	19. Wintersbreath
	20. Yuletide

XI. Afteryehulo or Henuariyu (January)
	21. Sunsdimming
	22. Icehome

XII. Hornyng (H: Solmath) or Fremuariyu (February)
	23. Northblowing
	24. Ices Edge

XIII. Twixtmath or Dies Enterkalendaries (Intercalary Days)
	25. Sagartide

Each year is named, according to an ancient text called the Enumeration
of the Years. The present year, 2011, is the year of the Golden Hairbrush.
The text is some 6000 years old, and is thus a very long list of year
names! Next year, 2012, will be the year of the Broken Calendar. This
designation has the chronomancers of the Eastlands all atwitter, fearing
that the World will come to an end some time next year, on account of the
sure destruction of the calendar system!

Beyond the years, are the named eras or ages. Many competing systems are
in use to designate what era we are presently in. The common calendar
dates to the reign of Archthaumaturge Agustas, Pharaoh of the western
Rum (long life, peace and everlasting his reign!) some 2015 years ago.
The present era is sometimes refered to as the "common era", though I am
not so sure what was so uncommon about any previous era. It is also known
as the Fifth Age of Man (and some philosophers believe that Men shall be
devoured in an all-consuming, all-destroying war in the not too distant
future; others, of course, being philosophers, pooh-pooh the idea out
of hand).

There are, of course, the great celestial eras as well. Gea is found to
point towards a different region of space about every 2100 years, which
spans of time are known as Zodiacal Eras, and are where the northern
parts of the planet seem to point towards different houses of the zodiac.
Twelve of these eras, or 25200 years, is called a Hipparchian Age. Forty
of these ages make up what the long-lived Teor call an Age of Stars, or
1008000 years. The Teor are aware of four such ages, but believe that
the World was sung into existence perhaps as many as twenty Star Ages
previously.

These ages, too, are named. The Star Ages are  Marax, Uzara, Fanam,
Azrael, Marakan, Pashto, Starram, Xora and Calior. The Hipparchian Ages
are: pwerncas, lufur, sedura, camfur, pineton, lefur, tontas, tumulas,
menta, canas, grannon, montar, caspas, wulpas, nicar, flumin, acarnon,
perwas, jephurullas, riwullas, qamellas, isqiurellas, fluwias, wallas,
fercas, murrullas, fulgur, nemur, laricas, draccon, furican, fagas, leon,
furisniwas, balanellon, wermiqullon, paliqon, aballon, musqajiftas, and
nimbullas. The Zodiacal Eras are: arias, pesqas, apwarias, qafrencqurnur,
sajittarias, iscorpion, libras, wirjin, leon, qanqar, jininar, and torras.

If you were in Auntimaony, today is 6th of Harvesthome (22nd of Halimath)
in the Year of the Golden Hairbrush, in the 19th year of the reign of
Handfast of the Bloody Blade, in the 2011th year of the Fifth Age of Man,
being the 2097th year of the Pesqas Zodiacal Era in the Pwerncas
Hipparchian Age in the ninth Age of Stars which hight Calior, the ninth
Age of Stars having been born 4198 years ago when the Torras zodiacal era, the Nimbullas Hipparchian Age and the Xora Age of Stars passed away.

In the Uttermost West, today is 22nd of Spembril in the year of the
Golden Hairbrush, being the 12th year of the everlasting reign of the
Jewel of the Two Kingdoms, Ankh-Alexandra IV (peace, long life and
everlasting her reign!) of Misserea-i-Chemion, Pharaoh of All the Rum,
being year D of the 696th Olympiad, being the 2764th year since the
founding of the Metropolis and the 6433rd year of the Atelantean Exile.

> Does it have a am/pm-system, or any other way of
> keeping hours during the day?

Horologues certainly allow one to keep track of hours, and some models
can even handle minutes. But most folks get along very nicely with a much
fuzzier notion of time involving nothing more precise than "around noon".
Towns with carilons have an advantage because you can more precisely plan
your day. For example, in Angera, a lovely little town in western
Auntimoany, you could make an engagement to meet someone "when the chimes
of the Wayfarer's Contredance sound". That would be about one in the
afternoon.

There is only one accurate timepiece in the whole World. Under the ancient
(and ruined) city of Alna in the Farther West, there is a wonder to behold
for, deep under the ruins of the old city, is a vast cavern where lies
The Orrery. It accurately ticks away everything from sixtieths of a
second up to the vast stretches of Time that make the Star Ages seem a
mere moment. It also shows the motions of the Sun, all the major and
minor planets, moons, larger asteroids, comets, dark bodies and mysterious
clouds that hover around the Sun well beyond the ken of any inhabitant of
the planet. It predates all known speaking races of the World by a good
half billion years, and it thus roughly contemporaneous with the Great
Road the Library of Ixcq and the network of Gates. No one knows who built
it or why. It occupies a much larger space than the cavern that contains
it and probably exists in several alternate dimensions as well.

> Koppa Dasao

Padraic