CONLANG  October 2011, Week 3

CONLANG October 2011, Week 3

Re: Translating Alice

Puey McCleary <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Oct 2011 23:03:40 -0400

##

                Heres the rest of Chapter One of Alices Adventures in
Wonderland.  I shall now do the dance of joy.  Or at least, the Snoopy
Dance.

                (Ive also continued to make various minor changes to the
earlier paragraphs).

#

Eiqhor-elwil-yajkh akhtni ker qte Khwnot uqte fhltepakh-ngut-ing kho
xhye pei-yutya-xing Alixhlinye-yxhwa khwnurt pejor fhxi paje-fhjhamat
xhw-opaingana khnie-ylkha qaql-yejet jetr-yatser qrr-lkha
utatlhuta-yatser erlantr-atser tsaqi xhnp-yatser tnle-ylkha
lyeplaxhn-atser fhruyitlhe-yatser-pti jkh xhnpe-ytya khrustamat-xhmikh
xhnir qthelpfha pei-sa-xing qhorlpentu-yunyie-ynthei themarl
kexhe-xhli-xing.

However, this flagon lacked the words poison, so Alixhlnye, venturing,
tasted of it, as she discovered, understanding that twas truly tasty,
because twas, in fact umami muffiny, in terms of qrr cherry pies, and
crustade, and purple pineapples, and baked fishes, and pieces of fudge
taffey, and warm cantels of toasted bread with butter, therefore, forthwith,
she finished off the draught.

#

jo swam swam ei! paje-tlhlqekh Alixhlnye, P sixe-polejhe-ynthi
khwaet xhwinwemo-ythya!

What a curious sensation! chanted Alixhlnye, Rowrbazzle!  I surely
unfold like a spyglass for mine own benefit!

#

Xho lya jhyopi-yopil thyisoa xtsaxi xhroe xing tsena-wtsalru ser epyer
xhthntern xhnalwa-qhliya xekhy-wthng fhin se jhkhnu khwi
kexhe-qi-xing iserxi-yxhyeu qoa-ypwar mlen tlhlol ki xing
khlorfh-yutakh pyakhtnga-yan.  Eiqhor sir ng-e khwayramat-pwart qir
oqe sefhatkhta xhroe kexh-ing qoe tslre xhyr ei-xhrejor k
khnikasoso-yjhei-yapoint pejor roa kexh-ing.  Kl-etlho fhrmo tnauqntu
thi xhlir fhnti-xing.

So it verily verily came to pass that she was now merely a span in height,
but her face brightened itself, thinking that she now had the correct size
in order to set out to go through the little triangular and circular door
into yon lovely garden.  However, first she waited for a few minutes to
learn, questioning whether she were fated to dwindle further.  She felt to
be a little paranoid about such, though she didnt mean to.

#

Xhnoet lrapa-yqras joe thingoxe pierpas-pakh-ing, Alixhlnye
paje-sixe-jhylta, pejor xhnpe-yxhna xhupran-ejikh xhletiti-ythya
p-xhli.  Fhls ei-xhrejor p eiyinger-otal xhyei-pejos p?
Eiqhor-tqinkha-ypwar
pyaor-xhmikh pfhpa pfhu fhaqri-yxhmikh thyau-ytyaxing kexh-ing xhnpe
qus qhowiwi-ylkha jhkhatlhot-pyer paje-khmarnietu-yfhto kexhe-sur-ing
khln khn-yingpenngpen kl-lkha khwm-ing.

For the situation may allegedly reach an end, Alixhlnye chanted to
hereslf, when, by accident, I altogether am extinguished like a candle.  I
wonder what I would resemble then?  And she tried to imagine things that
resembled the phlogistons of candles, after a candle is blown out, but she
could not remember e'er having seen such things.

#

Pejor tlhero wtho jotelnge ei-xhrejor khnlu qws paje-khrujxi kexh-ing
qtema-yngpor xiel-pwar kexhe-yan-ing xhnoike paj-jejet kexh-ing pkhot ur
qoe trxhur jhloas qtnokor Alixhlin-yeyqwa sipeingqesararu oiyo
syxhemet wthopte-ytakh-ing xhnoe poatakamt-atser tsena xhmir tpa
khnainik-aswar-ing paj-qlui khil khnl qthwo ei angtekh-xhyeu
khnanit xhroe kexh-ing.

Eventually, investigating, understanding that more things were not
happening, she decided on entering the garden immediately, but, alas,
Alixhlnye twas, roseate tressed and coming to the door, who learned that
she had forgotten the little aurelian key and, when she returned to the
table for the metal thing, she understood that it did not exist that twas
possible for her to attain the metal thing.

#

Jhkhowi julrielnge kei-xhrejor-ing xhlir xhtlhel fho-yepakh
kexhe-xhni-xing-aiqhor qlrs trthye fhempoka-ytya eitlhefhoi-ytya
swui-ytya-xing ptutsur-thya xhnir fho xhmnumat tsena xhnir xho-ypyer
thwie-ymfhoi tei-xing xhnoike koaqing sqtu koaqing lwntamat swakaxhrini
kus qulpofhntu xhmerirj-yatlhui.

She could easily see it through the crystal glass, and she tried as best she
could to climb up one of the supports of the table, but twas too slippery,
and the little princess, becoming tired from the attempts, sate down and
cried.

#

Xhthreu!  Tokhukhtim-oqen ei qlaku-ynyie ! Alixhlnye
sixe-fhaplnamat jhpiilkhantu-ynxhur.  Jo-khmenein t-xhrejor p
pfhawes-oqrir-ejet qir tyjo pi xing pein t-xing.

Hurry on!  Tis being worthless that a soul weep like this! Alixhlnye
chanted to herself, reacting rather sharply.  I humbly advice you that you
must stop this very chronon.

#

Kexhe-yan-ing jxe xhrnor-ejikh-ixhn-yajkh pn-e-xhrejor-epyer
qtheqwin-ngqu pfhye-yntong pykhtanga ser xhnoe kexh-ing pejor khyfhlei
km xekhya-swoqrem-xhnant plikaka-yxhyeu tnefhtatofhtkhqu koaqing
tnefhta tsena-fhnti sae yaiqhor khmm-pwart ei-xhrejor k-xing pte
xhmeuswo-yntong xhmrir-an kexhe-xhni-xing fhmfha-xing-nwi thwo-xing
xhwongeith-yatser wtholt-afham qir ope pn-e-xhrejor kexhe kae xing
xekhya-tlhorir-yejet qlakhh khnletsi tlhatlhm-atser ei-xhrejor
tlhonpexha pi xhthrkhqil xhthtlhor xhloka kexhe-yan-ing.

In general she set out to advise herself very well, like a consiglier, but
she accidentally seldom obeyed her own rede, and sometimes she scolded
herself, spifflicating so, that she chanced to summon hot tears in her eyen,
and once she remembered attempting to kick box her own ears because she had
cheated herself in a game of diamond ball she was playing against herself,
as this dear and strange and precious cosset fondly was willing to pretend
to be two people.

#

Xhnoet khma xfhyaya ei, paje-khmefhxhna Alixhlnye klta, fhpfhu
st-yejikh p.  l khwjha xhmnu ly p-xhli-xing khmjejeu tri p-sa.

But, tis silly, nigh hand, thought dearest Alixhlnye, to pretend to be
two persons.  It happens that I, for one, am not sufficient to be one
person, though I didnt mean to, in order to be, in fact, a single elegant
and honorable person.

#

Lworthie-ynthei khlajha lrrotse qlrt pfhu kekoaqing xhun
sqejhumenth-yufhar xhlir tnefhta.

Soon her eyen glanced upon a small crystal glass box that was basking
beneath the table.

#

Jhwthon ur qoe kei-xing kexhe-yan-ing kus ujxhmir totwoji-ylkha
uts-yajkh pfhu kei-qoas prta qte Khau-pwipwlam p-yetyikh, uqte keis
ting xhnpe jhpao-ylkha qir khxhye.  Khyyimat-mpeit utlhei
kei-yutya-xing p-yant, paje-khmta Alixhlnye, xhnoe khlfhir-lwos
khmafhantro-yejkh-ejait per qses qnot qhikhrepta-yfhto kiku-ypwar
p-yan-aiqhor qlumeqhe-ylwos per qlngemet per qlunyelnge
jhoayatser-nxhur qunok-etlho-xing p qthesefha-yfhto tnantanta-yfhar-ing
p.  Kho ei janya-tnelawetstho sae kus qxei-ympeit qofhapfhol-pwar
p-yan-epyer pejor fhaxhn-yukau pein kmla p-tlhi-xing.

She opened it, as she found a very small mochi cake, whereon were the words,
Humbly eat thou of me, being beautiful portrayed in patterns.  Okay, I
shall eat of it, chanted Alixhlnye, and, if the food enlarges me, as I
grow and grow larger, I can seize the skeleton key, and if I grow and grow
and grow smaller because of the food, I can creep beneath the door.  So tis
by both methods that I shall go into the garden, and I, for one, am
indifferent as to the events to yon place themselves.

#

Jhejhxhlun axhles-tya xhele-paje-sixe-yjar qt, Tlhor fheil jhngeloar
fheil qthxhnung fheil qthxhang fheil qthxhing p-yjhei-yaqwa?  Qho
tnexenar-lkha-xing jhkhajhya-yxhyeu tsena-khtoi-ylkha kexh-ing
xhyurqyuntu-yxhyeu fhrne xhmenxei xhroe khwlqu-yan-epyer lyngtm-axng
xhele-fhxi-xing paj-lyei stli pejor khyo eiyngu kexh-ing.

She nibbled of a morsel, saying anxiously to herself, Is it tall or short,
or small or neither-large-nor-short or large I shall be?  She placed the
palm of her hand upon the top of her head in order to set out to surmrise
the direction of growth, but, discovering, understanding that she remained
the same size, she was surprised.

#

l jxe kl quja etlh-yatser totwoji-ytya  xhw-opaingate
jhkhirqrelng-yejikhh khnn-e-xhrejor-ixorng qir ssum xhmka xhroe
khmqarl keis lu Alixhlnye quja yepyer kho p-opaingana xhmexhata-ylkha
khli yontet epim-nxhur tlhatlhijhyot-atser-ltal pejor kntu pakha.

In sooth such happens in general when one eats of mochi cake, but Alixhlnye
truly prepared for nothing at all save for phantasmagorick things that were
to happen, and so it seemed both rather boring and jobbernowlish, when life
generically is unfinished in the common way.

#

fhir-nyie kexh-ing-epyer qholrpentu-yinthe-yajkh totwoji-ypwar xhlir
Alixhlnye.

Thus she worked, and very soon Alihxhlnye finished off the mochi cake.

##

                I wonder what the next chapter shall bring.  Is it the one
where the Mad Hatter says, Phnglui mglwnath Chesshire Cat Rlyeh
wgahnagl fhtagn!?