CONLANG  October 2011, Week 3

CONLANG October 2011, Week 3

Re: Translating Alice

Puey McCleary <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 16 Oct 2011 09:49:50 -0400

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 4:09 AM, Michael Everson <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> On 16 Oct 2011, at 03:29, And Rosta wrote:
>
> > Michael Everson, On 15/10/2011 22:08:
> >> This is all quite magnificent, Puey. Here's what it might look like --
> without illustrations though:
> http://www.evertype.com/books/alice-babel-test.pdf
> >
> > it could do with a bit of hyphenation, to reduce the great big gaps
> between words, no?
>
> Oh my, yes.
>
> > I guess you refrained from hyphenating, on the grounds that you didn't
> know where the morpheme boundaries are or what other linguistic criteria
> determine appropriate hyphen locuses.
>
> Exactly so.

                The rules for writing interlinears are something that I
shall have to study and give a great deal of thought.  I dont think I shall
be able to tackle this problem soon.

                In the meanwhile, though, I changed the dashes to quotation
marks.  I have tried an experiment and added hyphens between all of the
affixes.  In other words, whatever lies between the hyphens is given its own
entry in the Empress lexicon.  This is a rather imperfect process because
there are a few set phrases which are only partially analyzable.  Also there
a number of infixes and irregular elements that really shouldnt be
indicated.

                I must say, the text looks darn funny with all of dashes
inside of the words.  But if that helps the English speaker follow along,
and if it looks better on the page, then tis for the better.

                (I also corrected several rather annoying typos both in
English and in Babel.)

#

Teiqh-tnemen Swakaxhrini Alixhlnye qir Tfhlu

Lewis Carroll-ujhwa

Little Clestial Princess Alixhlnyes Misadventures in the Otherworld

Written by Lewis Carroll

#

Khlqeis Xh.  Eprafhay-mlen-ing Sonxxa so

Chapter I:  Down the Winged Jackalope Catachthonian Nest

#

Tna khnayay-swaor fhqhin xhnir Alixhlnye koaqing ppwowo
Lrangtoingpa-yota-xing tsena qir jhxhya tsant-yejet kexh-ing.  Fhl-xe
fheil st-xe qr xhr xhr trpwi khlqa khritlhy-afham Khenongpa kae xing
exhe-yan-ing-inwi-yepyer lwilu uxajas-axhmikh-ntet sayonxhlothe ei-qi
ei-xing.  Xhnoett tokhkhtimm tokhkhtim fhsa jhure-ylwil xhnoe
khufhekaxrfhre!  Paj-khmenein Alixhlnye.

Alixhlnye began to be tired as she sate beside her Oldest Sister upon the
riverbanks, because she was idle.  Once or twice she had twired into the
hexagonal book that her same sex Sibling was reading, but it had neither
pictures nor conversations within it.  And how desolate a book is, without
pictures, without conversation! Alixhlnye thought.

#

Kho xhyo paje-sarkay-oqen koaqing ptroy-ntong pykhtanga
athrepay-thya xhnir fho xhyuxhnene ur ejet thyausamay-empaiy-ntet
khwoiqkim qoe kexh-ing xhlir ajxenay-pti tsixhliy-jhei torpay-xhmikh
kormantuy-uqeiy-jhwen xhnoipe fhruiy-jhwen rl-lkha khroaltey-tya twka
fhurjo xhroe khthna xhroa khroaltey-lkha kenxhay-atser-nwung koaqing
xhno Sonxxa Jhiri xhnir tnefhta iixxhay-lkha.

So she was considering, asking in her own spirit as best as possible, since
the hot day chanced to make her feel very soporific and a mooncalf, whether
the pleasure of the creation of a chain of khrolte poppies were at least
the trouble of getting up and picking a single blossom of khrolte poppies,
when suddenly a White Jackalope with eyen of pink ran nigh unto her.

#

Khnn-ufhang keis trajheng khyi km kl-etlho xhnoike qheliyy-axng
ei-xhrejor Alixhlnye wthrnwa km ei qhtuqhi Sonxxay-lkha
sixe-qhekhkhna pfho pr-lkha qh qte, Qasqim-apoit akhan okhont p!
uqte.  Kei pfhu qykhrema thy-atser exh-ing paje-khnapnthe kexh-ing
jhkheiy-qluir qr xhr peiy-eitlho khwm eiqhor py-aloi p-opaingaja
qietot-ulkhay-mpai pei-xuxhwi.

There was nothing so very bodacious about such, and Alixhlnye did not think
it so extraordinary to hear the Jackalope say unto itself, Alas!  Alas!  I
am fated to be late!  When she thought afterwards about what was just
mentioned, she understood that she ought to have wondered about this, but,
at the time, all of it seemed very natural.

#

Xhnoet pejor l xhthi qlkh-pwar tsenay-eiqxhress si
teiqhay-okhnoxuyetlhir xhroe Sonxxay-an xhnoe xhnalw-tsatlhu kei-xing
xhnoe qr t khlor kei-tlhi-xing koaqing xhthateqa koaqing khkhteu
Alixhlnye pupy-ejet koaqing xhmna xhlir xhmante qfhis jay-ejet
Sonxxay-jhwo xhnir qlpei kekoaqing okhnoxuyetlhir fheil tsena xhnir
qlrkhh khyurmuy-xhyeu ei khmo qir fhna kexhey-epakh-ing xhnoike pejor
xhri axhrojuxjy-atser koaqing tsotsxhwi piey-iqya-xing keiy-oaka-xing
kexh-ing xhnoike tssyiin khlrps-epakh kexhe-tlhi-xing twitwm-atser
kei-xing preuy-tya pyiey-emlen-sqrun xhmir soxxa khairair-yufhar
kexh-ing.

However, when it came to pass that the Jackalope removed a pocketwatch from
the pocket of its jerkin, and looked upon it, and thenabouts hurried,
Alixhlnye rose upon her feet, for a sudden thought happened to appear in
her mind, because never had she seen a Jackalope, with a pocket in its
jerkin or with a pocketwatch to be separated from it, and, itching with
curiosity, she ran across the purple plains after it, and she was fortunate
to be on time, when she began to see its hopping down a great Jackalope hole
under the hedgerow.

#

Str-aloi xaontay-tya mleni xhwyan Alixhlnye keiy-oaka-xing paje pejor
lyernewim-pwar qfhis kei-xhloas xhlon jaitsilqhiy-ampein-ungpuy-nwi
kexh-ing.

In another heartbeat, downwards went Alixhlnye after it, as she never once
considered how she would be honored to come back again.

#

Senrta qyumiin-thya xhrexhmay-atser pfhsyay-pwar Sonxxa pae yepyer
xeytha yunwung-apwa yoitol km qir xhmjhetlhe kekei-xing xekhqay-xhyeu
syarmlay-pwar xhlir Alixhlnye qoe thuselnge khyrnwu
thungpeqhey-aswaor-jhwent pn-exhrejor kexhe-xhli-xing khypyingil ja jis
ei-xhrejor tsena-fhmxha ijhetlhay-jhwant puptha khmaitot-mlen khyi
kexh-ing.

The winged Jackalope drey went straight like a ground tunnel for some
distance, and then it dipped suddenly, so suddenly that Alixhlnye lacked a
single moment to think about a destination for stopping herself, before she
discerned, seeing that she was falling down a very deep well.

#

Tifhiy-mpai puptha fhrlo tt-mpai khnsqa fheil ke-qoas qr qs-tya
kexhe-qi-xing ngy-atser exh-ing qoe tnekheyor tnekheyor
kexhe-yoafhe-xing khlrt xhnoe qoe fhls fhaxhnuy-ulkhay-apoi qr t khm.

Either the well was very deep, or the virgin fell very andante, when she had
a perfection of time, as she went downwards to keep looking about her and to
wander about events fated to be next.

#

Sir ng-e qroikakay-nwi qir xhmejhetlhey-ntet siiy-nwi s kei-xhmoas
syxhemet kexh-ing wtsaojhy-epakh quja xhnir Alixhlnye syonjuy-mfhoi ei
quja jxey-xhyeu lrolkhm-ejikh kexh-ing.  Khleukh-otal sepaliy-tya
pupthay-tya kexh-ing pejor tlhetlhpfhu kpe ei-xhrejor fhqe
lraurng-ulkhay-ntet spwe qeiy-swaor kei.  Ekr-atlhies
tqorkey-utyay-ntet pxhra lrtha wthey-ujhar khil-ing.

First Alixhlnye tried in vain to glance down and distinguish particular
things unto which she was coming, but twas too dark for her to see a thing
or other.  Then she saw of the sides of the well, as she noticed,
understanding that they were laden with monstrances and hexagonal shelves
for books.  Scattered all o'er the place she began to see star charts and
pictures hanging lose on top of pegs.

#

Jhkhekhlay-pwarn lrothinthey-apnya khuin-pwo xhemlay-tya xhnoingmay-an
qte Tra Khureumley-khmo uqte teiqhay-ujaxoxoi xhnoike xhth
teiqha-khenwy-atser khyi kekei-xing.

As she passed by, she took an earthen jar from one of the shelves, a jar
whose writing was Kumquat Protoplasm, but, to her great disappointment,
twas empty.

#

Tyrqho tsena-tauy-lkha qthrlpi xhnir nta tefhy-atlhui jxey-etlho
qyekhn-ejikh xhnoe kho khyitskhwumat khriinemt-ejikh pei-xhrejor-ing
xhy-aloi lraurng-tya paje-xhnothwe.

The demoiselle disliked dropping the jar because of fear, concerning killing
or striking someone or other, and so, as she fell head o'er heals, she
managed to put it into one of the armoires.

#

Fhwa ei!  Alixhlnye paje-sixey-ujxoi.  jhetlha kl-oka
peiy-ethya-xing jton qthorjhay-ejikh-jhwen swertiy-mlen khnnt p.
Fha-fhoyeto
xhmuju p-xhrejor jhynthuikh jhynthuikh qir khmim ky-an-uxhwi.
Jenui-khmtay-mpein
elel eiy-epwo khnn-utya  poa aqhinatsey-lwos kolojoy-otye
Twiekes-lkha p.  Trtu tqli khyi kl.

Fhwa! Alixhlnye thought to herself.  After such a fall as this, I shall
deem tumbling down the stairs to be nothing.  How brave they shall all
humbly adjudge me to be at home.  Ah, perhaps I would say nothing at all
concerning it, if I fell off the top of the Ice Palace.  Such was very
likely true.

#

Jyim prs qlyan exh-ing.  Ijhetlhay-pwar xekhya-xoptay-jheiy-mpein
qfhis?

 Paj-fhals p xhyei-xhroas khle xhrir jhngta xhrir khlel tlhemwa
py-atser  poa, paje-xhfhepel thweupyai.  Xepfhiy-ithniy-fhyoa
fhafhtoiy-pwar qir Piifharkekh p-xhli.  Pei pfhu penxhiy-tyai p!
Tijhway-lwos
tjhwa khmo xixakoay-tya qir xhmjhetlhe kei paj-qrito p.

Down, down, down she went.  Would the fall never end itself?  I wonder how
many thousands of paces and miles perchance Ive fallen, rushing, by this
time, the maiden chanted aloud.   Surely I am going somewhere nigh the
heart of the Ocean of Musick, though I did not set out to.  I must
contemplate what I just chanted.  Those would  be hypothetical myriads upon
myriads of hexagonal leagues down, I think.

#

Eiqhor-fhmpiin tlhotlho khmn-lkha kl fhqru pfhu poa qr xhr xhr
teiqha-fhriy-atser fhqlan trnan-jhwa k-xhrejor-ing tsena koaqing tnti
Alixhlinyey-pyer pejor tqeq-opaingana khyrl-ulkhay-ampl-axng py-eilwai
qoe jhpuxama teiqha-thalty-atlhui kexh-ing pejor l khnn kus qhthnaing
exhe-xhrejor-ing xemqyeu plqa eiy-eilwai qoe paje-tsaqnelngey-ngpu
kexh-ing.

For, tis inferred, that Alixhlnye had learnt such several things or such
important things of this sort in her lessons given by her tutor slaves in
the classroom, but, on the one hand, though this time was not a very good
opportunity for her to be a popinjay with her knowledge, as there was no one
listening to her, on the other hand twas elegant praxis for her to say it
again.

#

 Khrirsqo qhae pintroy-lkha twana pfhu kei yepyer fhales-opil
ei-xhrejor p atsiy-jheiy-nwi fheil aqhesqaniyiy-jheiy-nwi p.
Tlherkhamat
atquray-jhwa atsiy-ujhway-jhwent fheil xhrir aqhesqaniyiy-jhwen
Alixhlnye sae quja paje-tngta kexh-ing quja fhan qrta kekei
fhaplinamat-xhyeu.

Yes, those are approximately the right distances, but now I wonder whether
I go starboard or larboard.  Alixhlnye lacked ideas concerning
starboardness or larboardness, but she thought they were grand words to say.

#

Tupelnge tefhay-axhmkh-axng tingping-nya kexhe-xhni-xing.   Fhls
ei-xhrejor p tlhijhweqhey-jheiy-apoin qir xhloay-xhna Sarntro xhroe p.
P-opaingate kngqi kngqi xhroe ei pathaiky-atser xhnir nye tstsu
oprn-uqei qir xhmjhetlhe xing poa.  Ei Enyxhe kus jhlyo k
paje-jhmpi  poa.

Presently she began to engage in logic again.  I wonder whether I am dearly
fated to fall completely through the Mortal Realms.  How funny twill seem
to be, when, perhaps, I am the one to arrive among folk who walk with their
heads or faces down.  Tis the Perischii they are called, I may opine.

#

Tlhenjoy-nxhur wtsalru-xing pejor l khnn khlieluy-tyikh p se pejor
p-opaingana tyeqha xhroe khi pfhu teiqha-qhamls-atser kei-sur-ing.  Xhnoet
tlhie-paje-khwokul-tyai k-xhmi p keis keis khnnxhi-xing tlhir xhwakh
qui.

She was rather gladsome, since there was no one listening at this time,
since it did not seem to be the right word in its sound.  However, I must
ask them whatever is the name of their distant countries, I feel.

#

Pts-Teteim jhpaxatan-jhwu xaxhly-aloi fheil Jhwjoy-ailraikh-jhwu qir
Ojxhmoir Qlakh poy-ories?  Xhnoet xhwenketlhang jhpr xhnir xhmiyeqhe.
Wthupty-axng wthpta theqny-atser khthyu xhnir pwisapfhelnge qir
fhxhri?  Khyitsokhwumat-jhei qoqneqhy-ejikhh khthyu -xhni?  Paje-tspre
k fhmfhama khyat khyat jakhkh-ejait.  Xhmuy-khwu  poa
xhyjr-atser.  Okeuy-nyeu khl pypeplapar pfhu yenye p-xhli.

Honored, agd Grandmother, please, is this place the southron wasteland or
the Crimson Moons of the Clockwork Heresy?  And, as she spake, she tried to
bow deeply as one does when greeting elders.  Can one bow or not, in the
ettiquette of bowing, as one falls through the cold air?  Can one manage to
bow in courtesy?  What a barbarious, frivolous lass they will think me to
be, as I ask.  Alas, one may be shamed to ask.  Perchance I shall see the
names written somewhere.

#

Jhrs khwyim xhwyan exh-ing.  Khenu-jhepa khngtay-exhyeuy-jhwen khnn
kho xhlothelngey-ngpu khwnaqhi xhnir Alixhlnye.  Khlngtamat khrju qr
xhm khyi p-xhrejor tsena-qhqra se yengutt Twtsay-ant paje-pnxho p!

Down, down, down she went.  She had no other thing to do, so Alixhlnye soon
began talking again.  Struggles shall miss me very much this twilight, I
think.

#

Fhensya pfhalefhil Twtsa.   Spopa ei-xhrejor p paje-khmmu keku
khniey-rnumi paj-khlaxei khmamlay-tya kei-xhmi qir prta pyoiy-swaor
kekuy-an.  X Twtsa klta!  Paje-fhyilqelnge p xhmejhetlhy-ipoa
py-uqei-sa t-xing.

Struggles was the kittie cat. I hope they remember to bring to her her bowl
of flower milk at dinner time.  Oh dearest Struggles!  I wish you were down
here, in fact, with me.

#

Khnlu tsstetsi quja fhs-aloi tseu kayaqhay-qras tlhemkhay-pwar ty-an
quja yepyer fhoreikay-mpai tsistetsiy-lkha-xing kei tlhotlho.
Eiqhor-paj-fhals p jxey-jhei tsitqay-lkha tlhemkha pfho xhlir
pfhalefha?

Verily verily there are no feathered mice in the cold air, I believe, but
you may set out to catch a clockwork-eating bat, and that very much
resembles a feathered mouse, it seems.  However, I wonder, in general, do
cats eat clockwork-eating bats, by chance?

#

Xhnoet thyausamay-epleis-oipil-nxhur Alixhlnye pejor jar pn-exhmi
pr-epakh jeqha xhroe ta xhroa Jxey-jhei xt-lkha tlhemkha pfho
pfhalefha ser?  Jxey-jhei xethay-lkha tlhemkha pfho pfhalefha sae?
Fhales-xhnant paje-tsiwony-axing, Jxey-jhei pwlam-lkha pfhalefha
pfho xhlir tlhemkha?  Qhsaqha tlhotlho prti fhoy-epakh
kexhe-xhni-sur-ing.  Paj-swao kexh-ing kei-xhloas xhlon srka kmla tlhir
wthawetlhetsalru.

And now Alixhlnye began to get rather drowsy as she spake to herself, in
words of the manner of dreams, Do cats chance to eat vampire bats in
general?  By chance, do cats eat vampire bats?  Sometimes she spake and
wondered, Do vampire bats eat some birds or other?  It may seem that she
could not answer the questions.  She thought she was indifferent as to how
she asked.

#

Plka qlng-ejikh-jhwen kexh-ing-epyer tstha pei xhlir paje-tlhimyu-xing
ni xhnir khwlqu khyaqhoy-oqen xhnoipe khetya-ktisi Twatsay-ntet exh-ing
ker xhele-jeufhepyulin-ing xhwqhunoi khwrara sae kekei-xhmi
nyr-Twatsa s tlhatlhnyi jhw p-xhmi ty-an-ing.  tlha khrxhye
yingpeningpen tlhemkhay-pwar t-xhli-xing?

She experienced that she was dozing, and she began to dream of this,
dreaming that she and Struggles were walking, clasping each others hands,
as she was saying to her with an earnest voice, Loved Struggles, be it that
you confess the truth to me.  Have you e'er, by chance, eaten a
clockwork-eating bat?

#

Thngqu thwkh thngqu ei!  Jhrs jhamliy-nwung xhmiqhitoy-atlho-xing
stopay-otyay-ntet lwakhxhana tlhrs kexh-ing-aiqhor pyayot jhetlha.

Thunk!  Thwack!  Thunk!  Down she came, suddenly crashing against a rick of
sticks and sere leaves off of trees, and the fall was dumfungled.

#