CONLANG  November 2011, Week 3

CONLANG November 2011, Week 3

Re: Roman letter syllabary problems

BPJ <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 19 Nov 2011 19:12:51 +0100

On 2011-11-18 18:23, R A Brown wrote:
> On 18/11/2011 15:11, And Rosta wrote:
>> R A Brown, On 18/11/2011 08:56:
>>>
>>> No reason at all, that I am aware of.
>>>
>>> The problem is that as things stand at the moment, it
>>> seems to me that neither ['pi.a] and ['pija] nor
>>> ['pu.a] and ['puwa] will realistically be
>>> distinguished. The only way of doing that is to insist
>>> that /a/ _must_ be preceded by [h] or [?] or some
>>> other sound. If it must be so proceeded then that
>>> sound is surely no longer 'ad_lib' but assumes
>>> phonemic status.
>>
>> To me it (i.e. [?a, ha]) would look like an obligatory
>> allophone of /a/.
>
> A good point.
>
> To me this debate is reminiscent of of arguments over the
> phonemic status of [j], [w] and [?] in modern Standard
> Chinese (MSC) where e.g., discussing V syllables, Paul
> Kratochvil writes: "The onset of vowels in this type of
> syllables is either zero (the transition from silence to
> sound is breathed), a glottal stop or a semivowel(the vowel
> is preceded by a semiclosure in the palatal position [j-] or
> in the bilabial position [w-])" [The Chinese Language Today,
> 1969].

And Pulleyblank and others add /ɦ/ as the semivowel
corresponding to /a/ at least for Middle Chinese, if
not for some dialects of Modern. Apparently PST *ɣ
actually figures in some of these correspondences.

> As for the most part the Brx syllabary consists of CV
> syllables, it is best IMO to regard /ja/, /ju/ , /wa/ and
> /wi/as CV syllables rather than rising diphthongs
> (especially as, unlike MSC, such diphthongs would not occur
> after a consonant) - i.e. /j/ and /w/ have phonemic status
> in Brx. So the Brx situation is not quite the same as in MSC.

Yes.

> That means /a/ would be anomalous in the Brx syllabary in
> that it alone is _phonemically_ V, while the 25 other
> syllables are all CV.
>

> It seems that all are greed that /a/ [a] must be preceded by
> some sort of sound. This is, in fact, what I have
> tentatively done in my current off-line version of the Brx
> Phonology & Orthography page. I wrote on 15th Nov. that
> "This afternoon I re-assigned _a_ as /ɰa/ - but /'çiɰa/ and
> /'tuɰa/ "
>
> /ɰ/ reflects that phoneme and both [ɰ] and [ɣ] are,
> currently, permitted allophones.
>
> The questions seems to be: (a) What range of sounds? (b)
> Therefore, how do we denote the phoneme?
>
> For the moment, I will symbolize the phoneme as /*/.

But note /ɦ/ in the /ɰ/ slot in Middle Chinese (apparently
it does show up as /h/ in some exochinese, but I'm unsure of
the details. Also NB the frequently allophonic relation
between [h] and [ɦ]!

> On 18/11/2011 12:58, BPJ wrote:
>> On 2011-11-18 09:56, R A Brown wrote:
>>>
>>> On 17/11/2011 20:52, BPJ wrote:
> [snip]

> Can the syllable break be a phoneme?

A hiatus can -- at least in French --, and /./ is the
closest thing to a hiatus symbol you got in an IPA-based
phonemic transcription.

>>> Yes, but the Japanese /h/ occurs also before /u/. I
>>> haven't discounted having a phoneme /h/ or something
>>> similar, but including /hu/ means I need 27 symbols
>>
>> Not if the contrasts /h/~/u/ /__u and /h/~/j/ /__i are
>> neutralized the same way that /t/ vs. /k/ is neutralized
>> before /i/;
>
> But the neutralization of /t/ and /k/ before /i/ is nothing
> more than the very common feature of palatalization, i.e.
> both palatalized /t/ and palatalized /k/ fall together as /c/.

But let's assume for a moment that

1)  Brx is a natlang and not an engelang.
2)  Pre-Brx had the three approximant phonemes /w/, /j/ and
     /ɰ/, which all could occur before and between any two
     vowels.
3)  That they all could have voiceless allophones, --
     voiceless approximants normally, not fricatives -- when
     occurring post pausam, just as the stop phonemes and /s/
     could have voiced allophones when *not* post pausam.
4)  That /ɰ/ had the allophones [ɦ] and by extension [h].
5)  That [ɰ] (the *phone*!) tended to merge with /j/ next to
     /i/ and with /w/ next to /u/.[^1]
6)  That the following mergers tended to happen:

         *   /iɰi/ > /iji/ > [iː] > /i/,
         *   /uɰu/ > /uwu/ > [uː] > /u/,
         *   /aɰa/ > [aː] > /a/.

7)  The distinctions thus lost tended to be morphologically
     important, which militated against these changes -- cf.
     how the *s >*h > zero > krasis change failed to happen
     in s-aorists in Greek, with which you are surely
     familiar.[^2]
8)  There emerged three strategies for effecting (7), all
     hypercorrective in nature:

         *   An [ʔ] was inserted at the syllable
             boundaries which tended to be lost.
         *   /aɰa/ tended to be realized as [aha].
         *   Since there had been a surface [ɦ]~[h]~[ɰ]~[j]/[w]
             variations in items which originally had /ɰ/
             original /iji/ and /uwu/ also tended to be
             realized as [ihi iʔi uhu uʔu].

     Notes [^3][^4]
9)  The voiceless allophone [j̊] of /j/ is perceived as too
     close so the allophone [ɕ] of /s/ and falls out of use
     in favor of [h].[^5]
10) Natlang Brx ends up with a phoneme with the allophones
     [h ɦ ʔ] -- which I transcribe /h/ as being the most
     convenient to type -- which is in free variation with
     zero initially and between two unlike vowels, which
     contrasts with /j/ only before /a/ and /u/, and with /w/
     only before /a/ and /i/.

Now the *engelang* Brx need not have a 100% natural
phonology. There you need only:

     a)  state that theoretically \_a\_ is a pure vowel /a/,
     b)  state that [ji]~[i] and [wu]~[u] are not distinct,
     c)  state that two identical vowels must not be contracted into
         a single vowel, so some 'stronger' consonant needs to be
inserted
         between the two vowels in /aa i(j)i u(w)u/ to preserve
syllable (and morpheme)
         structure,
     d)  state that ideally that inserted consonant is [ʔ], but
         [h] is permitted,
     e)  allow speakers of Russian, Spanish etc. to realize "[h]"
as [x]
         (they will anyway without telling them so!) -- likewise
         Japanese speakers' "[h]" is likely to come out as [j̊] or [ɸ],
     f)  encourage [ɕi ʃi tɕi tʃi] realizations of \_x\_ and \_ci\_
         lest someone's "[h]" comes out too [ç]-ish, and lest
\_c\_ and
         \_x\_ merge with each other, as [ci] and [çi] easily will
         for Scandinavian and German speakers among others.

* * * * *

[^1]: This has actually happened in Danish twice, the last
     time quite recently: /ɣ/, which is attested to have had
     an /ɰ/ allophone, became [j] after front vowels and [w]
     after back vowels.

[^2]: Similar things happened with the dental preterite
     suffix in Norwegian and the plural/present *-r* in
     Swedish, which failed to get lost. Probably similar
     cases can be amassed from languages I'm not familiar
     with. I seem to recall something similar with *-oir* and
     *-ir* failing to lose their *-r* as *-er* did in French.

[^3]: I assume that preserving the number of syllables was
     more crucial than preserving the distinctions between
     the original approximant phonemes as such. Be that as it
     may with the putative 'Natlang Brx', this is a
     forteriori the case with the actual engelang Brx!

[^4]: The Old Scandinavian present/plural ending was
     probably /ɹ/. In Old Swedish forms like *hæsta, tala*
     rather than *hæstar, talar* 'horses, speaks' are amply
     attested, although this meant losing the distinction
     between certain cases, persons of the verbs and
     infinitive vs. present singular. In early modern
     Swedish, however, the *-r* was restored as /r/ in
     writing and in dialects in the areas where r-less texts
     had formerly been written! Thus 'horses' is *hästar* in
     Swedish but *heste* in Danish. In some forms of Danish
     and Norwegian the Old Scandinavian trisyllabic weak
     preterite in *-aða, -aði* and most forms of the past
     participle have all been replaced by the neuter
     nom./acc. sg. ending *-at* > *-et* (in Danish pronounced
     [əð]!) while in most positions /ð/ was simply lost
     (though sometimes restored from writing in the modern
     standard languages).

[^5]: But note that you probably should abandon the
     transcription of *x* as [çi] in favor of [ɕi] or even
     [ʃi]. I've heard of the sibilant [s] palatalizing and
     ending up as [ɕ], [ʃ] or even [ʂ], but never actually as
     the non-sibilant [ç]. There is a now thankfully obsolete
     IPA tradition of transcribing [ɕ] as [ç] because the two
     are supposedly not found contrasting in any language.
     This is actually not true since in Japanese [ç] is an
     allophone of /h/ and [ɕ] is an allophone of /s/, and in
     Swedish [j̊] is an allophone of /j/ contrasting with
     /ɕ/. Cheating by transcribing Japanese with {ʃ} rather
     than {ɕ} and ignoring [j̊] in Swedish is thankfully not
     à la mode anymore. (Though it's still hard to discuss
     compressed vs. protruded rounding: I had to invent {ᵝ}
     (superscript {β}) for compression vs. {ʷ} for
     protrusion. I now see superscript {ʋ} {ᶹ} is sanctioned
     http://http://books.google.com/books?id=33BSkFV\_8PEC&pg=PA17
     but I still think {ᵝ} stands out better vs. {ˠ} and
     besides there is no dental element in compressed
     rounding.)

     I think you'd actually better write the 'palatalized'
     phonemes with the more familiar (from dictionaries'
     pronunciation transcriptions) [tʃ] and [ʃ] or you'll get
     a lot of [si] for {[ci]} and {[çi]}; [tʃi] and [ʃ i]
     have the virtue of not looking familiiar from
     English/French/Spanish orthography, while their values
     are somewhat familiar to ordinary dictionary users.
     While {[ç]} does crop up in German dictionaries, German
     is much less studied than French and Spanish among
     English speakers, and than English elsewhere.

>> then /ha/ will be the only /h/ syllable which needs its
>> own letter. If you define /h/ as an approximant
>
> i.e. as [ɦ] ?

As a phoneme which has the free allophones [ɦ] and [h].
Whether you write the phoneme as /h/ or /ɦ/ is immaterial,
switching to the BXS > IPA keymap and back is a bit less
immaterial, although I do have a key sequence for it! ;-)

> I notice on:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Approximant_consonant
>
> that the approximant equivalent of [ɑ] is given as [ʕ}, and
> IPA doesn't appear to make a significant distinction between
> the voiced pharyngeal fricative and the pharyngeal
> approximant. Also on the same page I read: "Occasionally,
> the glottal "fricatives" are called approximants, since [h]
> typically has no more frication than voiceless approximants."
>
> Interesting.

I have seen [ɰ] (or "[ɣ]") described as the approximant equivalent
of [ɑ]
or [a].

[h] and [ɦ] definitely are more approximant-ish than
fricative-ish: For one thing they dont have the
turbulant noise of typical oral fricatives. For another
they frequently occur as allophones of a single
phoneme, and while voiceless pausal allophones of
voiced approximants are relatively common even
initially even in lgs which otherwise don't have final
devoicing (e.g. Swedish).  Thirdly their tendency to
merge with zero/become length is more approximant-ish
than fricativeish -- fricatives usually become [h]/[ɦ]
before disappearing!  In many languages they are
[+approximant +/-voice] and unspecified for all other
features, which they take on from their surroundings.
A /h/ occurs in many languages which otherwise
don't have any fricatives, or only /s/ -- and Brx fits
that bill, BTW!  In many languages like English /h/
patterns with the approximants in that it doesn't occur in
codas while fricatives do. (If you analyse PRICE &c. as
/ɑj/ etc. you may just as well analyse NURSE, FATHER
THOUGHT as /ʌh æh ɒh/, as some American structuralists did!)

> [snip]
>

>> If French can have a phoneme with the allophones [ə], [
>> ʔ] and zero (e muet/h aspiré),
>
> I don't think _e muet_ and _h aspiré are rightly considered
> the -same_ phoneme. IMO we are dealing with two distinct
> features. It is true that some speakers do, especially if
> the word is stressed, have [h] or [ʔ] before the vowel; but
> they are very much the minority, and the phonemic
> interpretation of this IMO is open to debate.

Sure, but h aspiré is commonly interpreted as a phoneme
with <hiatus> as one of its realizations. On that I think
there's agreement.  h-dropping English and speakers of
h-dropping Swedish dialects also evidence [h] as a realization
of <hiatus>, so it goes full circle!

> Thanks, And & BPJ - I think things are resolving themselves
> in my mind :)

And speak after the BEEP... ;-)