On 11/01/12 17:01, David Sewell wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012, Martin Holmes wrote:
>> We've figured it out: it's AdBlock.
>> The id of the div is "msad", and apparently AdBlock thinks it's an ad, so it
>> hides it. If you disable AdBlock and restart your browser, you'll see it.
Does it hide msad* or just msad? I ask because all the other IDs
in that section start msad[a-Z].
>> Maybe we could just change the id of that div?
> I don't think the TEI should be in the position of renaming metadata components
> to suit the shortcomings of imperfect software algorithms. And as we can't
> foresee which website users will be viewing page with which extensions enabled,
> I think the burden has to be on the users of browser extensions to be aware of
> the potential risks of reformatting or selectively deleting content served from
> the pages they visit.
True, but AdBlock are unlikely to remove this string from their
list. And it is a very popular browser extension. I recognise
that it is bad form to change URLs (and because people can link
to just this section we are in effect doing that), but on balance
I'd vote for changing it.
I've put a bug report in for further comments at:
Dr James Cummings, InfoDev,
Computing Services, University of Oxford