CONLANG  January 2012, Week 4

CONLANG January 2012, Week 4

Custom sort orders (was: Re: The Grammar of Asirka)

BPJ <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 23 Jan 2012 08:47:42 +0100

On 2012-01-22 14:23, Michael Everson wrote:
> It is a bad idea to mix scripts unless you don't care how your alphabet sorts.

Bah!

<http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Sort::ArbBiLex>

And you don't need to mix scripts to need it: Rhodrese
sorts most of its digraphs (the exceptions being actual
diphthongs) as separate letters, while letter pairs
separated by a raised dot _d·g, g·l, g·n, l·l, s·g_ to
indicate that they're *not* digraphs sort as two
letters. This takes a sort order like this
(disregarding case pairs and accents):

     ch
     d· d
     eu
     g· g
     gl
     gn

And I'm still to find out of the box sorting for
transliterated/Latinized Indic and Tibetan, or even for
Old Norse with _œ, ǫ_, so it definitely has a use for
natlangs too!

/bpj