CONLANG  January 2012, Week 4

CONLANG January 2012, Week 4

Re: A Drama of Conlangs

Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 23 Jan 2012 14:13:44 +0100

On 23 January 2012 13:24, Sam Stutter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Apologies, I know I'm going off-topic here, I promise this will be my last
> post on the matter :)

Me too.

> > Huh? I have no issue with the rest of this post, but as amateur director,
> > actor, and theatre audience, I can tell you those time durations are
> > nonsense. An audience can easily sit through a 50-min one act play, and
> two
> > hours (including break) for a full play. Anything shorter is a *sketch*,
> > not a play!
> >

> From a production point of view, yes. What I'm talking about is the
> limitations placed upon productions by organisers. Okay, so 30 minutes is a
> little short, but most festivals I've come across drive for show times of
> about 45 minutes.

Ah, OK. Well, we play at our own venue (well, obviously not our own, but
outside any kind of festival). And the festivals going on around here (the
Netherlands) all allow for full-length plays of 1 hour 30 to 2 hours,
except the children's theatre festival that has slightly shorter plays of
about 1 hour.

> > If people can sit through a one-and-a-half-hour movie without breaks,
> they
> > can easily sit through a slightly longer play with breaks.
>
> Ooh. I wouldn't risk it.

We've risked it since the beginning, and our club is celebrating its 30th
anniversary and 60th production this year. Each performance has always been
sold out. People don't have a problem with a 2-hour play including a 15-min
break.

> Most theatre productions in my experience, along with musicals, music
> performances, operas, ballets, etc have regular breaks. If a show is 1.5
> hours, then I would expect a break at 45 minutes.

Agreed.

> Perhaps at the 1 hour mark so the second half is snappier.

Agreed too.

> Cinema appears to be the exception to this rule (and a rather recent
> exception: didn't cinema used to follow the A movie B movie principle?)

At least in France, there used to be a break after 45 minutes, but this
isn't done any longer.

> > 50 minutes is a
> > perfectly normal time for a one-act play. Or have American audiences
> such a
> > short attention span?
>
> British audiences in my case. And, yes, 50 minutes is alright.

Thought so. Our main audience is British expats.

> > If I went to a theatre play that advertised as a full
> > play, and it lasted only an hour, I'd ask for half my money back!
>
> If it lasted any more than an hour I would start getting pissed off,
> especially if it was new writing. 15 minutes is a great length of time for
> a play!

In our last production (a Christmas sketch collection), I had a one-man
sketch that on its own lasted 15 minutes! It's nice, but I would *never*
call that a "play". It's a sketch and nothing else.

> Love "The Real Inspector Hound". But then again, he is Stoppard and he can
> pull it off.

I don't think he is that great a writer personally. If he can pull it off,
many others can as well.

> > Our
> > small amateur group has done much better than that with that same amount
> of
> > people! I'm talking for instance about a full panto with sword fights,
> > magic tricks, smoke, zombies, and a 2˝-meter dragon! Weapon fire in a
> > one-act play is easy in comparison.
>
> Maybe its a UK thing, but my experience of imitation fire-arms is that
> they're almost as difficult to get as *real* guns.

They are difficult to get here as well. We make do with what we have, and
the audience's suspension of disbelief :) .

> My experience of stage-hazers is that a lot of venues simply ban them on
> fire-precautions grounds. And health and safety hate swords, anything which
> is slightly pointy, lights which haven't been officially tested by a
> professional electrician, fabrics which haven't been fireproofed, anything
> touching the floor, etc, etc :D

Tell me about it!

> The thing is (and I don't mean this as any slight) but panto is panto.
> Panto is an experience; it's all craziness and silly things happening. It's
> so hard to make sword fights and action sequences look and feel real. Star
> Wars IV is a case in point; the reason it's so good is that George Lucas
> couldn't do the sequences he wanted because of technical limitations.

True. But you're underestimating the audience's ability to suspend
disbelief (or overestimating their knowledge of swordfighting! ;) ).

> The best shows I've ever seen have had no set, no make-up, barely any
> sound or lighting design, no scene changes, no particular costumes, no
> nothing. They've all been less than an hour. Direction, direction,
> direction.

Oh, I'm all for minimalistic plays. Why do you think I'm directing The Bald
Soprano?! ;) Yet at the same time, I feel minimalism is often overdone, a
kind of snobberish reaction against traditional theatre. Minimalism for
minimalism's sake is rubbish.

> A friend took a show to a load of festivals. He used one car, because the
> show consisted entirely of 6 housebricks. He won every student drama award
> going!

Was it because he was good, or because of the snobbery going on against
traditional theatre? Not that I have anything against your friend, but I'm
usually not that awed by drama award winners.

> Last great show I saw had a cast of 1 and the entire set consisted of a
> fishbowl and a white backcloth.

Those have their place. But not everything can be said with minimalism.
There *are* cases when more is better. And I'm saying that as someone who
*loves* minimalism.

> > Of course, not everything is possible, but you should have more
> confidence
> > in our abilities.
>
> As an ex-lampie, I agree, anything *is* possible, so long as you have
> enough money.

Well, ingenuity often goes a long way when you don't have money. I should
know. We usually do our production with a total budget under €2000
(including renting the theatre!). We've done wonders with flashlights and a
few helping hands :) .

> > --
> > Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets, who's directing _The Bald Soprano_ from
> > Ionesco (50 min, 6 characters) in our next (60th!) production. The other
> > act of the production will be... The Real Inspector Hound! ;)
>
> Wish I could see it :)

We're performing on the 11th and 12th of May. You're welcome to stay at my
place :) . Britain and the Netherlands are not far from each other. And the
plays are both in English :) .

And now I will shut up and let on-topic discussion resume.
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/