CONLANG  January 2012, Week 5

CONLANG January 2012, Week 5

Re: Introduction and A Question for the Group

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 29 Jan 2012 19:03:34 -0800

--- On Sun, 1/29/12, Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I didn't start off using Lisle, I was
> in a group, and there was a series of exercises that had
> made up words. I was removed from the group due to
> repeatedly not following directions, and started realizing I
> needed to have an idea of how to create a language, so I
> looked at the Lck, and I think it was too short, and since I
> can't read print, I couldn't get the book off-line.

Oy! Well, I'm sure a number of us would be thrown out of the group too,
but more likely for hijacking the process and turning the place into a
language creation seminar rather than a writing seminar!

> I'm awaiting Lisle to finish the Worldbuilding book, so I can
> get that and the culture-building book,

I have that one too -- will have to look into the worldbuilding one when
it comes out.

As far as culture-building is concerned, have you looked at the Conculture
Questionnaire?

http://bethisad.com/conculture/questionnaire.htm

It's simply a list of questions that a fictional anthropologer would ask
a native about his life, his family situation, his culture, his clan or
tribe affiliations and how they see the world. It of course presumes a
roughly humanoid race capable of understanding and interacting with the
world roughly how humans do. So if you've got a race of telepathic spider-
folk that inhabit the vacuum of space, well, this Questionnaire probably
isn't for you!

I've used it to sort some things out about the Daine, and will eventually
use it for other folks in and around the Eastlands. Please feel free to
copy the questions into a format you can read, and then simply write
your answers. Makes for a handy reference as well -- when you're writing
a story and come across a situation where your character is eating, you
can refer back to the Questionnaire to refresh memory about foods and
manners.

It does not address every conceivable question, but I think is certainly a
good basic tool for the culture builder.

> as I tend to be
> inconsistent with worldbuilding, and people in my
> world-creation group are getting tired of my
> inconsistencies.

Just tell them "look, not very world has the luxury of having the same
set of physical laws throughout its history! Some of us just have to deal
with physics and chemistry and history and biology that changes constantly!
I mean, just think about the poor main character of this story who up til
now had no more worries in life than finding a date that wasn't to
slimy -- and now all of a sudden the laws of physics are undergoing the
Change and pretty soon all the stars in the sky will fall to bits!"

In other words, turn your **seeming** inconsistencies around and weave
them into the very fabric of your world!

> Same thing with the outline method I'm
> employing for novels, I bought fiction writing lectures
> containing the Snowflake method, so once and for all, I can
> finally have finished products without having them bounce
> around all over the place.

Just looked it up -- pretty intuitive, and I think that's largely what I
do naturally. Hopefully the day will come when I can find out some of the
story lines in the World -- most everything about it up til now has been
information abut the World itself. Encyclopedic, but not particularly
literate.

> That's why I like guidelines. So
> I still have the words I got from the group, but and adding
> tips from Lisle, and am preparing a vocabulary rule sheet. I
> have to prepare versions of her worksheets, since otherwise
> I'm sure I'd be using copyrighted material,

As I recall, her worksheets are freely copyable.

> and one, I've
> begun, and two, I plan to post my language to yours and my
> worldbuilding group, and three, it wouldn't be practical.
> Nicole Andrews

Well, practical or otherwise, I hope you'll keep at it and show us what's
going on a little!

Padraic