CONLANG  February 2012, Week 4

CONLANG February 2012, Week 4

Re: Linguistic literature on conlangs

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 25 Feb 2012 04:39:35 -0800

--- On Sat, 2/25/12, Daniela Amsler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I think the problem here is quite similar to the contrast
> between a descriptive or prescriptive way of approaching a
> language. Some would like to to fill in the gaps, to add
> features to T.'s work,  or, possibly, to improve it.
> Others are contented with describing what he did as far as
> we can know from the material we have. Who is right there? I
> think both of them are, as long as each party accepts that
> any attempt of intervening in Tolkien's languages, no matter
> how competent and accurate, would in any case change the
> intended project for the simple and evident reason that no
> one is Tolkien. I mean, exactly as no one is me.

Something to consider regarding prescriptivism v. descriptivism: these are
really simply ways of approaching one's methodology of describing and
codifying some aspect of a language. The one "prescribes" rules for
correct usage while the other simply "describes" all the right and wrong
ways people actually use a language. Neither one really addresses additions
or extensions added on to the language.

For example, I read a fantasy novel the author of which invented a
non-gendered third person singular pronoun paradigm which was used quite
regularly throughout the book. Naturally, a prescriptivist will say "this
is incorrect usage because this is a made-up word and made-up grammar and
does not accord with (our) rules." The descriptivist will simply say: "ok,
this is clearly an example of artistic license and seems to be confined to
this author in this book; we have no further comment, because no one else
is using it."

As far as Tolkien's languages are concerned: one can describe what Tolkien
created or one can take some subset of Tolkien's grammatical work and say
"these are the rules for the correct usage of Sindarin." (As Michael said,
over the course of his lifetime, his languages suffered from the same kinds
of drift, correction and change that most of our languages suffer from at
some point in time.) It therefore becomes a little inappropriate to speak
either of a correct set of rules or of an average way the language is
used.

As for groups of fans adding to his languages, one can really only say
"well, these additions are 'after market' additions and thus not original
to the creator of the language" and leave it at that. You can't really
definitively say it's right or wrong; and without any kind of broad
consensus, you can't really speak of trends that can be described.

> Then the question boils down to be: do you want to show your
> respect for a work which he surely valued as Fëanor valued
> his Silmarils by merely studying it and describing it, or
> you'd rather prefer to show your admiration for it by making
> it your own object of delight as he did?

And I think it can fairly be said that both camps have valid points. And
I don't think they are necessarily at odds with each other. The one group
can happily mine Tolkien's papers, published works and Tolkien Jr.'s
works in order to respectfully study. Fans (not just Tolkien fans) always
seem to like to engage in a little coat-tail story telling. It's natural.
An author always leaves unintended gaps; and people always like to fill in
gaps. Fanfic is nothing new. We see it in just about any well known
constructed universe, from Star Trek to Star Wars to Middle Earth to
Discworld to Harry Potter and the Bible and hundreds of others as well.
Take a look at fanfiction.net.

I would not be at all surprised if a good percentage of our ancient myths
and legends were not some kind of primal fanfic. Some ancient sawyer comes
up with a neat story about Cu Chullainn and another one hears it and later
comes up with his own embellishments, extensions and details.

> If asked I'm more of the first group, also because I think
> it should be quite more rewarding building up something
> which is completely (as knowledge can be) ours. But somehow
> both approaches are acceptable under the condition that is
> made clear which of the two is used when writing something
> about a Tollingua (my idiolect for the whole of Tolkien
> languages).

But just because Tolkien fans are basing their work on his legendarium,
does that diminish their work as not being "their own"? I don't think so.
Should we think of Rowlings's work as diminished simply because the story
is set in England? I do not subscribe to the notion that a work has to be
verifiably 100% devised with absolutely no external influences in order
for it to be considered good or "more rewarding".

Agreed though that the author of such fan fiction needs to make clear that
his work is "based on" the work of another (if for example I write a story
about Hobbits in the Shire of the fourth age). From a more strictly
academic perspective, I do agree with the former perspective. Someone who
is studying Tolkien's languages should avoid contaminating his data or his
conclusions with his own conlanging!

> These considerations can be applied to any conlang. I tend
> to consider languages as very personal and intimate
> constructions which are to be treated with the same care we
> would accord to someone else's child.

I'm not sure if this particular issue has arisen here. That is, someone
wanting to borrow / use someone else's conlang in his own world and also
wanting to alter it to suit. *Without* the language being wholly given to
the other person. Somewhere in there, credit needs to be given to the
language creator.

> Locuta sum

Thou am talked indeed!

> Daniela