CONLANG  April 2012, Week 1

CONLANG April 2012, Week 1

Re: Terminology for Non-native Natives

Jim Henry <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Apr 2012 05:55:12 -0400

On 4/4/12, Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> to refer to a person whose speech is considered canonical for the
> language. I've started using "canonical speaker" as a placeholder
> term, but I wonder if there is some other existing terminology for
> this sort of thing.

For some conlangs with a speaker community, I refer to "fluent speaker
intiution" rather than "native speaker intuition", even if the speaker
community in question does have some native speakers, like that of
Esperanto -- their judgement isn't necessarily weightier than that of
other fluent speakers.  I'm guessing Mev Pailom is too new for you and
your fiancée to be fluent in it yet, though.  "canonical speaker" and
"original speaker" both sound good to me.

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/