CONLANG  April 2012, Week 1

CONLANG April 2012, Week 1

Re: Random Ramblings on the Process of Coining Words

Sam Stutter <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Apr 2012 21:37:29 +0100

On 2 Apr 2012, at 20:46, Jörg Rhiemeier wrote:

> Hallo conlangers!
>
> On Sun, 1 Apr 2012 12:48:44 -0700 Gary Shannon wrote:
>
>> I have usually created words for a conlang by having some rules of
>> morphology that I used to construct a word from a root, usually picked
>> at random. Then after I have a bunch of words to work with I start
>> making sentences and the first thing I discover is that the language
>> sounds ugly. The sentences don't flow, and the words don't join
>> together smoothly.
>
> A smooth flow of a conlang is indeed not easy to achieve.  Many
> beginners' conlangs feel as if they were assembled from LEGO(R)
> bricks or the like - the morphology is cookie-cutter regular
> with junctures wide open, the words bite each other, the whole
> thing sounds like gibberish or Pig Latin and not like an
> organically grown language.  I admit that avoiding this and
> coming up with a coherent, beautiful conlang is difficult.
> Languages such as Quenya or Kēlen were not cobbled together in
> a fortnight; they were honed and refined over *years*.

We've all been there.

> You once wrote that you design languages without defining a
> phonology, perhaps that is part of the problem?  It is rules
> of phonology that give a language a coherent sound and smoothes
> out the seams between the morphemes.  Even such highly regular
> languages as Turkish have a coherent sound because there are
> well-defined phonological rules.

I find "hearing the speakers" before actually coining any words really helps. I know that there *is* the right sound out there, because I can hear it being spoken, it's just like trying to remember that dream you had last night. It's more of a process of holistic reconstruction rather than top-up construction (even though that's what you're *really* doing).

>> It occurred to me that natlangs never create new words all at once,
>> and in isolation. Instead, in natlangs, words are born gradually, over
>> a long period of time, by whittling on existing ancestral words in
>> context, sanding down the rough edges, and finding the ways in which
>> they can best be made to fit, like jigsaw puzzle pieces, into the
>> sentences in which they appear.
>
> Right.  And the best way to emulate this in a conlang is to
> start with a "protolang", i.e. another conlang that is then
> subjected to a simulated linguistic history with sound changes,
> semantic shifts and the like.  At least that is the way to go
> if you want something naturalistic; it makes much less sense
> with an auxlang or a loglang.

Well, maybe not, I've never done that. But going through a dictionary and just randomly coining words is only going to get you so far.

>> But those new words were not the result of applying sound change rules
>> either. Sound change "rules" are after the fact. They are descriptions
>> of what happened. But what happened was not the application of a rule
>> to the word, but the result of constant use of the word in various
>> contexts. Like throwing a rock into a tumbler with a handful of
>> abrasive grit, what was a rough, ugly thing becomes smooth and
>> beautiful. My conlangs all suffer from being made of rough, ugly words
>> instead of smooth, beautiful ones.
>
> A fairly apt comparison, I think.  Sound changes, as they are
> found in historical grammars of languages, are indeed descriptions
> of what happened through centuries of usage of the languages.
> In the Middle Ages, the Romance languages were considered worn-out
> dialects of Latin; as much as it does injustice to the self-
> containment of the relevant languages, that is not entirely inept,
> as it was indeed the wear and tear of daily usage that transformed
> Latin into Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, Romanian and all
> the others.
>
>> So the idea occurred to me to work on my conlang coinages several
>> sentences at a time instead of one word at a time. Instead of trying
>> to come up with the word for "brook" based on some morphology, come up
>> with half a dozen sentences about brooks, and plug my rough, ugly word
>> into each of those sentences, and say the sentences aloud, over and
>> over, discovering how the word needs to be shaped and molded to fit
>> smoothly into each and every sentence. If the brook could speak, what
>> would it call itself? Tumbling over the smooth rocks, twisting and
>> turning, but always within its banks, comfortable with its course.
>
> That may perhaps work, and is at least worth trying out.  It may
> not be as good as the proper diachronic method (i.e., applying
> sound changes, semantic shifts etc. to a conlang) which I use,
> for instance, in Old Albic, but it may well result in a nice-
> sounding conlang.

I prefer to be more hands on. Don't just write about them, go and find one! (Although this doesn't necessarily work when it comes to, say, tigers).

>> But you can't know the brook without knowing the banks that contain
>> it, and you can't know the word for brook without knowing the
>> sentences that contain it. The word must be fitted to its context. It
>> must be grown in a specific environment, not in a vacuum. It must be
>> surrounded by prepositions and adjectives, it must be singular and
>> plural, subject and object, and the final polished product must fit
>> smoothly into each of those contexts.
>>
>> All of this makes me wonder if perhaps the best vehicle for building a
>> conlang lexicon might not be primers and readers, but original poetry
>> written in the conlang. If a conlang can do poetry well, then it can
>> probably do a nice job of spoken prose as well.
>
> Yes, that is true.  Poetry is a good performance test for a conlang,
> better than primers.  So far, I have not written actual poetry in
> Old Albic, but a prose version of a creation myth is under
> construction, and it turned out that writing such texts is a good
> way of rounding out a conlang.

I would say not just poetry, but any sort of writing which might have particular concultural significance, like creation myths, folk stories and declarations of independence.

> --
> ... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
> "Bêsel asa Êm, a Êm atha cvanthal a cvanth atha Êmel." - SiM 1:1

Sam Stutter
"No e na'l cu barri"