CONLANG  April 2012, Week 1

CONLANG April 2012, Week 1

Re: Conlangs in movies (was: R2D2 language)

Fredrik Ekman <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Apr 2012 23:42:49 +0200

Adam Walker wrote:

> The novella Enemy Mine by Longyear was published in 1979 and later
> made into a movie with Louis Gosset Jr in both of which the conlang
> Drac features prominently. I am not sure of the film s date, but I
> believe it antedates Klingon. Adam

I once made a half-hearted attempt to analyze the Drac language in the
movie and came to the conclusion that the Drac dialogue split into two
distinctive categories. On the one hand lines that were quoted straight
from the novella; on the other hand lines that were utter nonsense. My
conclusion is that Drac does not qualify as a movie conlang.

  Fredrik