CONLANG  April 2012, Week 1

CONLANG April 2012, Week 1

Re: OT: Hebrew letters?

Dan Sulani <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 4 Apr 2012 10:43:20 +0300

Hi all!
On 4, April, Ph.D. wrote:

>A friend emailed me a scan from the back of a
> photograph and asked if I could at least tell
> what language it is. It looks to me like handwritten
> Hebrew letters, but my friend says he's almost
> certain it's not Hebrew or Yiddish.
>
> Perhaps someone here can help? I've put the
> image here:
>
> http://www.phillipdriscoll.com/HebYid.jpg

It's Yiddish!

I agree with MorphemeAddict and Patrick Dunn that it is displayed
upside down.

The giveaway that it is not Hebrew, but Yiddish (which is also  generally
written
in Hebrew letters) is the third word on the top line: dalet-'ayin-final mem.
To my knowledge, no such word exists in Hebrew. But in Yiddish, it is
/dem/. (In Yiddish, the letter 'ayin is frequently used to express /e/.).
This is, as in German IIRC, the dative form of the definite article.

My command of Yiddish  is not the world's best, but I will attempt a
translation.

The first two words in the top row are a place name: Petah Tikva
(a town here in Israel). I'm not sure about the the rest of the line ---
it looks like "10th" (possibly "10/en" ie 10/ 'ayin-final nun).
Perhaps the 54 is a year, in which case it would be "the 10th (day? month?)
(19)54".

The next line reads (as far as I can tell)
"For (something --- I don't recognize the word) memento (although the last
part of this word is written somewhat garbled, "memento" seems, IMHO, the
best fit).

Next line:
could possibly be "shul" = synagogue (something)(something) "our"

Next line:
"picture"

Last line:
(signed) Perl Gntss (Ganz? Gentz?)

Hope this helps.
Dan Sulani
likehsna  rtem  zuv  tikuhnuh  auag  inuvuz  vaka'a.

A  word  is  an  awesome  thing.