CONLANG  May 2012, Week 1

CONLANG May 2012, Week 1

Re: Conworld: Political titles

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 6 May 2012 16:47:19 -0700

--- On Sun, 5/6/12, Тоłе МаьіЛеƒіљ МаьіПаніљ <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> NCNC? Oh, stuff it!

I rather think not! You do *NOT* want to be in the middle of a religious
or political flame war. And I would strongly caution you from instigating
one! There are those that walk among us that have curious and subtil
Powers -- should they deem it necessary, you might find yourself wandering
alone in the outer Voids...

> Let's break that rule again while still keeping on topic.

The rule has nothing to do with talking "about" fictional politics (or
"about" fictional religion for that matter) or "about" the mechanics
of same. The rule is designed to prevent folks from engaging in primary
world religious or political polemic, evangelisation, prosletysation,
mudslinging, campaigning and the like.

For example: vorboten is ANY kind of anti-Catholic or anti-Islamic polemic
(you know the sort -- and if you don't, Google is your friend), regardless
of how deeply held your opinion may be. Likewise, it is similarly illegal
to evangelize the group to your own religion or political agenda -- no
pro-Mormon or pro-Buddhist propaganda (especially the kind that might be
seen as derogatory against other religions). It is also terribly bad form
to promote political candidates, political agendas or solicit support for
a campaign or seek signatures for a petition. (One exception that has been
allowed in the past is when Wikipedians get geared up for an anti-conlang
expungement.) It is also bad form to insult other countries and the way
they go about living their lives.

It has never been part of NCNC to prevent people from asking questions of
a general or informational nature. If it comes out that someone says they
are a Fourth Day Lateralist, and you don't know what that is, well, you
can ask. They can reply. That doesn't violate NCNC. You can't say "isn't
FDLism nothing more than a heretical branch of High Church Thursdayism?"
They can't use the list to try to convert you.

That said, the below is perfectly normal and uncontroversial fodder for
the list.

So on to the meat of the pie!

> What are the official political titles in your conworld, and
> what's their etymology, if applicable?

I can't think of anything terribly out of the ordinary for the countries
of the Eastlands.

For Auntimoany: The monarchy is not absolute, as was that of Old Hoopelle.
The Emperor is styled the Greatking or "Groatkingaz". In Auntimoany, the
Emperor's chief role is to form a government and accede to or veto their legislation. Presumably, he also has to give stirring speeches. Only during a time of war do his powers grow. As herzog, or "heyrtugaz", his
authority over the military and militias is absolute. The Emperor's hat is very tall indeed. Legislation is introduced and passed by the Ricksthinge,
or "Reihesthingô", and is sent to the emperor for consent or rejection; however, the Thinge may override the emperor's veto with sufficient support. Other levels of nobility (hereditary and elective) exist as well. One of the most common are the elected gravs or earls, the "gravos",
(often appearing in ancient texts as "gravios"). Gravs often hold
governorships over small territories called grafdoms, or counties. There
are also Markgravs, or "markôgravos", who are the lords of the marches,
particularly south away.

All are straightforward descendant from Old Thietish. Avantimannish has a
fairly conservative nominal declension scheme, so most of the old Thietish
declensions can still be seen reflected in the younger language.

The Rumnians have a parliamentary monarchy based on the Auntimoanian model,
and their ruler is called "o reis" (< reg-s). They have in the past had
an "uumpirdur". The "reis" co-rules with two "cosuleis" and the people
have their say via the "sintus". The phrase "sintud ocustulud" is a time
worn and well known one meaning more or less "that's the way it is".
Literally, it means "the Senate has been consulted" and any law or decree
with such stamped on it is known to be in effect.

The now deserted land of Narn called its rulers "gunyind", though I'm not
sure what it actually means or what it descends from.

The Talarian word for foreign kings (and rulers of any kind) is "conocas",
and ultimately derives the Middle Osmannic (a western relative of
Avantimannish) "cynnenge". Teleran is generally said to be most truly ruled
at the clan level by the clan chiefs, the "pâtiçâs". These clan chiefs
meet and argue at the "Alqeštanar", or provincial government (the word
simply means "all province"). Of these "pâtiçâs", it is the
"maxaffalalâmtan" (loudest-yelling-ones) who go to the capital and argue
in the "Ponhwwar", or diwan. Nominally, the mayor of the capital city
(at present and for quite a long while now, Illenere) presides over the
Ponhwwar as emperor, but has quite limited authority. Anyway, if the
emperor gets out of hand, the Ponhwwar will simply move the capital over
to Molenere (the only other city of any size in the whole country).

In Westmarche, the Daine there are governed by a Greatqueen, the
"Gretequeyne". Even though there's a rather nice hall with the old Throne
of the Jade Emperor of old Hoopelle at one end, the Great Queens have all
preferred the much humbler "stillia", a squat, plain three legged stool
of ancient oak. It's unsure how they got the word, but it apparently
comes from Rumelian "sidille".

Padraic