CONLANG May 2012, Week 2

Re: Whale of a Tale

Puey McCleary <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 13 May 2012 20:42:34 -0400

I happen to like kaleidoscopes quite a bit. The kaleidoscope is probably
among the inventions of Princess Éfhelìnye, who has never been noted for
her practicality. Her crown may actually be kaleidoscopic ("The
Kaleidoscopic Crown"), though I don’t quite know for certain since I’m not
actually working on that part of the novel yet.

I must say, I’m always impressed by the amount of detail in your world,
Padraic. It’s similar enough to our own that one can see how clever the
changes are to it, and yet it’s coherent enough and, I dare say, has enough
whimsy to it, to make it its own creation rather than being just an
alternate history where, say, Cæsar wasn’t assassinated, or Alexander was
only Pretty Good rather than Great, or where the Aztec-Mongolian Empire
conquered Europe on the back of their giant axolotl beasts of burden.

I sincerely hope that you’re working on a novel or two that takes place in
this world, and I would dearly like to see more examples of the languages
spoken therein.

Getting back to your discussion on Talarian customs, I find it interesting
that the concept of the "taywiros" is so ingrained in different aspects of
their culture, from baptism to settling a dispute. (One is reminded
actually a little of when Captain Picard was Worf’s cha’DIch, or "second"
during Worf’s trial-of-honor thingie once upon a time). I would suppose
that among the Talarian folk that there are all sorts of folktales
concerning what makes a good taywiros and what makes a bad. I could see
this permeating all sorts of things. Perhaps their cognate of Cain was the
original bad taywiros, when Abel needed help with his sacrifice. Or perhaps
Judas was supposed to be taywiros to Christ, but upon his failure the duty
fell to Peter. (Instead of the Pontifex Maximus, in this world his title is
Taywiros Maximos). Perhaps when Beowulf was going to slay the dragon, the
one good servant who remained with him was his taywiros. What about Arthur
and Lancelot? Was Roland betrayed by his taywiros?

Also, your discussion on the Talarians almost seemed to focus more on Naomi
than on Ruth herself. This I find significant. Many of us, when reading
Ruth instinctually feel that it should be called "The Book of Naomi." After
all, not only does the book begin with Naomi and her husband, but she gets
the first dialogue, she’s the one who pushes the match with Boaz, and the
book ends with Naomi holding her grandson. I can easily see a culture
recasting this as Naomi’s story.

In my translation I’m simply calling it "The Book of Naomi and Ruth," for
that reason.

The Rum of Kemeteia-Misser sound quite fascinating, though a little
disconcerting to think of sibling marriages among the Pharaohs, extending
into modern times. Ewww!

I’m sure there’s a story as to how the Jordan valley is about to be flooded
though. Right now I’m imagining temple ruins rising up from the oceans, as
some mad scientists are fiddling with a dam, the ark of the covenant, and
the higgs boson particle thingamajig going at full swing.

The customs that you mention for the Daine of Westmarche remind me a little
of Princess Éfhelìnye’s people in that, though they are fairly patriarchal
in many ways, see the arranging of marriages as the domain of the mothers
and grandmothers of the family. Sure, the priestly caste is involved, but
for all practical purposes the matrons of a family are going to be the ones
who decide these all important marriage alliances. This becomes especially
tricky the higher one goes in caste, because then the higher the stakes of
the alliance is going to be.

##

I brought up the Quendi folk just as an example of a fictitious frame of
reference that many persons would understand. As much as I love Oz, Narnia,
and Barsoom, none of those worlds quite have the amount of cultural details
needed for one to answer exactly what their marriage customs may be.

Understanding the Eldar, is, of course, not without difficulty, since
Tolkien transformed his views on them during the course of his writing
career.

In "The Silmarillion" version which we have to take as final, we do learn
that King Thingol asked for a bride-price for Lúthien, and that Elves don’t
remarry (except that ONE time, and we all know how that turned out), and
they never fall in love with their first cousins (except that ONE time, and
that was a disaster). If one adds together the family trees, though, one
quickly finds that all of the Elves are pretty much already related to each
other. They may not be first cousins, but they’re still pretty close.

In the later material published in "The History of Middle-Earth," we do get
other details which may or may not be valid with Tolkien’s final
conception. This material not only gives us additional vocabulary for the
Elvish languages, but would be useful in trying to guess how they would
understand Biblical texts.

"Morgoth’s Ring" is the tenth volume of "The History of Middle-Earth,"
where we find the essay "Laws and Customs among the Eldar," the dialogue
"Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth" and "The Tale of Adanel."

In the first essay we learn that it takes 12 months to make an Elf baby,
not 9 months like a human. Oh, and their words for "body" and "spirit" are
slightly different in meaning to our words. The other essays deal with
theology or philosophy, from what I remember. I think they dealt with the
Elvish version of resurrection/reincarnation at some point …

From studying the essays, for instance, if we learned that Elves had no
"original sin" (using a term from Catholicism) that may or may not affect
how one would choose to translate certain passages. How would the Eldar
have understood baptism, for instance? Or would it just be best to say
"John dipped someone into the Anduin?" Moreover, understanding Elvish
reincarnation (and the vocabulary associated with it), might influence our
interpretation of other passages. Perhaps the Eldar would think that John
the Baptist was Elijah come again? What exactly would the Eldar think of
the Incarnation? How would they interpret "The Angel of the LORD?"

This is what I find especially challenging, in attempting to lift a text
like Ruth and bring it into a new fictional world. It requires a new way of
imagining, almost.

##

Anyway, I enjoy everything that you write, Padraic.

So far, I’ve translated the first chapter of Ruth. It takes place on the
crimson Moons of Khnìntha, before they became the heretics – the people of
Princess Éfhelìnye’s Sister. A group of Clone Sisters have failed in their
duty to protect their queen, but one Clone remains with her foster mother,
to travel to her old homeland, whose Queen used to be the feudal master to
the foster mother’s husband’s family.