CONLANG  May 2012, Week 2

CONLANG May 2012, Week 2

Re: Whale of a Tale

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 May 2012 13:46:52 -0700

--- On Sun, 5/13/12, Puey McCleary <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I happen to like kaleidoscopes quite a bit. The kaleidoscope is probably
> among the inventions of Princess Éfhelìnye, who has never
> been noted for
> her practicality. Her crown may actually be kaleidoscopic ("The
> Kaleidoscopic Crown"), though I don’t quite know for
> certain since I’m not actually working on that part of the novel yet.

I don't think there are any kaleidoscopic crowns in the World. There is,
however, the polyspeculum -- a semimagical and rather curious class i
device. Invented by Auntimoanian court wizard Bartram the Bespectacled, it
consists of a curious brass frame that rests upon the wearer's head and
houses a number of lenses, loupes, magnifiers and demagnifiers, opera
glasses and measuring devices.

Bartram, who was both near sighted and farsighted and lacking all depth
perception, lived his life constantly afraid of stepping off a curb for
fear of falling, but more than once fell off rather higher balconies with
no apparent ill effects. At last he hit upon the idea of harnessing all
his various spectacles, bifocals, goggles, lorgnettes, monocles, pinza-
naris, trifocals and oculars to a single framework. An ingenious system of
levers and knobs allows the wearer to select and deselect any particular
system of lenses for either or both eyes which slide into place most
effortlessly.

It is known that Bartram's device contained not only lenses for seeing far
away and close to, but also transchromatic lenses that allow one to see
extreme colours, a telespeculon, a parviopticon, something he called a
saweloscope that allows one to peer into the face of the Sun, several
calipers and indeed a pair of opera glasses.

Many artificers have taken to Bartram's device and have crafted their own.
Perhpas the most ardent users of the polyspeculum are the Dwarrowish
artificers who often spend hours and days peering into blue and even white
hot furnaces, melting and joining metal objects. One Dwarrowish artificer
of the Arnal Mountains who often comes down to the City to obtain
interesting devices for his workshop said of the polyspeculum that it is
the single most crafty invention Man has ever come up with in all his
history.

It may very well contain a pair of kaleidoloupes -- small rapidly rotating
kaleidoscopes that one engages before ones eyes in order to see into
particular and otherwise invisible domains of our World.

> I must say, I’m always impressed by the amount of detail
> in your world, Padraic.

Thank you very kindly! This is high praise indeed!

> It’s similar enough to our own that one can see how clever the
> changes are to it, and yet it’s coherent enough and, I
> dare say, has enough
> whimsy to it, to make it its own creation rather than being
> just an
> alternate history where, say, Cæsar wasn’t assassinated,
> or Alexander was
> only Pretty Good rather than Great, or where the
> Aztec-Mongolian Empire
> conquered Europe on the back of their giant axolotl beasts
> of burden.

Hm... Alexander the Pretty Good. Sounds like one of Qalpart and Suleyman's
half act comic operas.

> I sincerely hope that you’re working on a novel or two
> that takes place in this world,

Honestly, I wouldn't even know how to start. It has long been a desire to
write long fiction; but so far I've only got a couple short stories that
take place in the World.

> and I would dearly like to see more examples of the languages spoken
> therein.

Mostly I've worked on Talarian, and several people have been inflicted
with it for relay translations. Loucarian has shaped up pretty well. I've
decided to sort out Avantimannish a little better -- folks who took part
in my book sale a while back got a rough idea of what it looks like (and I
even got a passable response from one person!). I've got sketches for a
number more.

> Getting back to your discussion on Talarian customs, I find
> it interesting
> that the concept of the "taywiros" is so ingrained in
> different aspects of
> their culture, from baptism to settling a dispute.

True. While we certainly have this concept -- whether it's your best man
at a wedding or being godfather of a friend's child -- I think it's far
more regularised and far reaching in Talarian culture. Even in the
traditional mythology, Metras and his taywiros Waruwanas ensure cosmic
order and protect truth. Metras is the lord of sacred oaths and
Waruwanas is his witness.

Even on modern marriage certificates for example, Metras and Waruwanas are
called upon to guide the newlyweds:

wartyatahe waruwanas-BAGA-LU-ta câsa
rômyatahe mitras-BAGA-LU-ta câsa

Guard o Waruwanas-[divinity.marker]-[name.determiner] them
Guide o Metras-[divinity.marker]-[name.determiner] them

Of course, you don't actually read the determiners aloud -- they just alert
the person who cán read that a divine name is being read. I mean, even if
I were to write your name, I'd still use the appropriate determiner:

peweytas-LU

Names are generally written in plain letters (as opposed to syllabary)
and are enclosed in a circle of red dots so that the reader knows that a
name is to be read. Most of the determiners are Sumerian in nature and
only the most deeply educated even know what they're called. Most street
corner scholars know that the "name" determiner is "xonomar" in Talarian,
but most don't know that its right name is LU. Alas, the unnamed scholar
who penned the Classic of the Sixfold Way (a native grammar treatise and
dictionary of glyphs used in writing Talarian) would turn in his grave at
such unscholarly ignorance!

> (One is reminded
> actually a little of when Captain Picard was Worf’s
> cha’DIch, or "second"
> during Worf’s trial-of-honor thingie once upon a time).

Indeed! I would suspect that a taywiros would be present for similar
coming-of-age trials and the like in Teleran.

> I would suppose
> that among the Talarian folk that there are all sorts of
> folktales
> concerning what makes a good taywiros and what makes a bad.

Ya. The one that doesn't show up -- bad! The one that sweeps your bride-
to-be off her feet -- bad!

> I could see
> this permeating all sorts of things. Perhaps their cognate
> of Cain was the
> original bad taywiros, when Abel needed help with his
> sacrifice.

Interesting.

> Or perhaps Judas was supposed to be taywiros to Christ, but upon his
> failure the duty fell to Peter.

Interesting you should mention this. There is a very widespread belief
among Kristians that Judas was Jesus's twin brother and that his agency
was required in order for things to happen as they should. He is far from
the detestable traitor. In Iscariotism, Judas is (probably) an angel who
accompanies the incarnate Creator during his sojourn on Gea and is
said to be coredemptor. In the Eastlands, Judas is honoured as a hero of
the age. The Book of Judas recounts his taywiros-like role in Jesus's own
task in the World. After his own suicide, he is present for the Dark One's
preparations for war on the Middle World, and for Krist's harrowing of
the Under World and the chaining of the Dark One. At the end, Jesus comes
to him and looses the chains that bind him upon the high tower and they
return in glory to their heavenly home. They don't see Judas as a base
traitor, but rather an integral part of the Plan.

> (Instead of the Pontifex Maximus, in this world his title is
> Taywiros Maximos). Perhaps when Beowulf was going to slay
> the dragon, the
> one good servant who remained with him was his taywiros.

Quite.

> What about Arthur
> and Lancelot? Was Roland betrayed by his taywiros?

Alas, no Arthur, no Launcelot, no Camelot at all. The Celts pretty much
end up being ground into nonexistence. Celtic culture only lives on in
the Romishcallia (a little ways to the northeast of Westmarche, along the
coasts of the sea). I think they play something of the role of the French
in the World -- Roman and Celtic admixture. If there is an Arthurian
mythos, it probably doesn't involve Arthur per se. Perhaps they're more
keen on Cu Chullain?

Well, there was never a Charlemagne, no Roncevalles and no Moslems to be
thrown into the romantic mix. That doesn't mean they don't have romances
in the Eastlands, and of course, there would surely be all sorts of ways
the hero's taywiros could turn out to betray his man.

> Also, your discussion on the Talarians almost seemed to
> focus more on Naomi
> than on Ruth herself. This I find significant.

Well, the story just seemed to be more centered on her.

> Many of us, when reading
> Ruth instinctually feel that it should be called "The Book
> of Naomi." After
> all, not only does the book begin with Naomi and her
> husband, but she gets
> the first dialogue, she’s the one who pushes the match
> with Boaz, and the
> book ends with Naomi holding her grandson. I can easily see
> a culture
> recasting this as Naomi’s story.

Sadly, there is practically no OT at all among the Kristians of the East.
Not in the canons, anyway. Some books have filtered along the ways east,
but not a whole lot.

> In my translation I’m simply calling it "The Book of Naomi
> and Ruth," for that reason.

I like that solution.

> The Rum of Kemeteia-Misser sound quite fascinating, though a
> little
> disconcerting to think of sibling marriages among the
> Pharaohs, extending
> into modern times. Ewww!

Yeah. Kind of weird. But, what do you expect when you've got a culture
and a ruling class that have been going strong for fifteen or twenty
thousand years? They've just gotten set in their ways!

The Rum are interesting in that they still see themselves very much as
the light-bringing civilisation of the western world, the descendants
of Atelante the Mighty (while most of the Wise call it "Atelante the
Downfallen, for obvious reasons, the Kemeteians never do, in stead calling
it by its ancient name). They see the Hellades and the Remans as culturally
juvenile and Julius-come-a-late newcomers in the empire ruling business.
But they suffer them to rule all the same, biding the time when Uzmatre,
the Once and Future Pharaoh, will come and sweep away the foreign
interlopers and restore the ancient House to its rightful place on the
throne of the Two Kingdoms.

But for now, they have 22 year old Ankh-Alexandra and her seven year old
brother-husband...

> I’m sure there’s a story as to how the Jordan valley is
> about to be flooded
> though. Right now I’m imagining temple ruins rising up
> from the oceans, as
> some mad scientists are fiddling with a dam, the ark of the
> covenant, and
> the higgs boson particle thingamajig going at full swing.

Along similar lines, yes!

The whole thing got started when the ancient and long dormant super-
volcano to the west of the Pillars of Herakles began to wake up some
thousands of years ago...

About four million years or so ago, when the Dark One was last routed in
a great war upon the Middle World, the lands he raised up from the depths
of Ocean in the far north sank back into the sea with a resounding roar.
This caused much consternation to the immense Beings who inhabit the
bloody hot world of the upper mantle -- you know, the folk that hold up
all the land from sinking down into the Deeps below. Anyway, they got
upset and earthquakes and volcanic eruptions were the watchword of the day.
One of these was the catastrophic explosion of the Great Volcano. Back in
those days, it stood to the west of the Pillars at the head of a deeply
cleft valley, through which ran a river down into the lands around the
great salt seas some hundreds and hundreds of feet below the level of the
Ocean beyond. The megavolcano exploded, spewing its contents out into
space and the deep vale was split open, flooding all the lands and the
salt seas to the east. Thus was born the Middle Sea.

Perhaps in the 1980s, Carthaginian sailors began reporting boiling seas off
their shores in Hespera, in the region of Gades, and eventually the magma
reared its searing head above the waters again. In 1996, massive eruptions
choked up the passage between the Pillars entirely, and the ensuing ash
caused a "little winter" during even the summer months for a few years
afterwards. The northlands were hardest hit, and what followed was a
terrible and destructive war between the Daine who live in northern
Hespera and the Rum, who lived along the northern coasts of the Middle
Sea. For the most part, the Men were slaughtered. The Pharaoh was
entirely ill-prepared for such savage fighting and fled from Custantiyya
to Aleskandariyya, which is now her capitol city. Those who couldn't find
a ship to flee the onslaught were simply slain. Hespera is now empty of
all Men from Lusitania in the west over to the Tyras River in the east.

As if a winter of a thousand days and a crippling war weren't bad enough,
the stopping up of the Strait has all but devastated Ankh-Alexandra's
empire to the point of destruction. There's now not enough water entering
the Sea to keep its level up, and in the almost two decades since the
volcano erupted, the sea level is down some 70 feet -- leaving all her
port cities high and dry!

So, what's a Pharaoh to do, what with the Carthaginians on the brink of
war on your western frontier (both empires have some port facilities west
of the stricken Strait -- and both would like to secure the other's
territory for themselves!); what with the Ethiopians practically salivating
over the stricken empires to their north and their Negus dreaming dreams
of conquest; what with the Daine of the vast plains of Vandashanno wishing
to put an end to your tedious existence (and thus secure their own peace
and security); what with the Daine of Morvallia (up to the north of the
old Rumen lands) watching your empire slowly die from their airships with
all their wonderful and godly thaumology! Well, naturally, you seek to
discover some way -- any way -- no matter how desperate to restore the old
sea level and make a way for your navies and trading vessels to get in and
out of your now land-locked ports.

Digging a canal through hundreds of miles of volcanic stone near the
Pillars was considered, but the going was simply too hard. Reopening the
Canal of Pharaoh Julian IV which once opened into the Erythrean Sea was
also considered, but the going is also slow and doesn't really help the
seaports as it only connected the right branch of the Pyaro with the
eastern sea.

A more radical and daring plan calls for the creation of a subterranean split or rift in the vicinity of the Satrapy of Sinai, on the eastern marches of Kemeteia. This plan, put forth by an accomplished wizard and philosopher of Alexandria, one Jason Zionicus, calls for the use of two series of huge oliphants that will crack open the World and allow the waters of the Erythrean Sea to fill the gap. That's the plan anyway. One might sensibly ask, how can oliphants help crack the earth? They're tiny in comparison! Jason plans on constructing huge bronze and clay oliphants that will direct their sonic energy down upon the earth -- much like the legendary Oliphants of Joshua who was campaigning near a city of the Decapoleis called Jericho. According to legend, he used his large army to blow upon specially built oliphants, the sound of which caused the walls to sway and fall down. Jason hopes to make use of the same effect to split rock deep under the earth.
 If all goes well, the split will admit sea
water that will refill the dwindling Middle Sea. After that, a canal might
still have to be dug if the rift isn't suitable for shipping.

But, as you might suspect, there is a catch. If only good Jason Zionicus
knew his geology! No one knows that the great Rift Valley the splits
eastern Nubia extends well up into western Eosphora -- and that this same
Rift Valley runs just to the east of the old kingdom of Israel and smack
through the little country called the Decapoleis. Jason is very well
aware of the properties of the Ark. Quite apart from its rather expansive
and polydimensional storage capacity, he is acquainted with the works of
Avantimannish philosopher Thomas Eddystone on the curious Spirits of
Elektra City and is sure that the Ark is some kind of "fluceis capacitore"
that can channel these Spirits and put them to use.

His plan it use Spiritually motivated oliphants -- basically a series of a thousand monstrous spiral diaphones that will be energised by a number of
Arks acting in parallel fashion that will generate infrasonic tones in
the 2 through 10 hertz range. Zionicus hopes that the powerful vibrations
will cause the Beings to shift a wee bit, causing a relatively tiny rift
to open up in the Sinai, which will cause the waters of the Erythrean Sea
to flow into the Middle Sea.

So much for the plans of Mice and Men!

What he didn't count on was the magnification of these waves down through
the rock. The Beings become extremely agitated and boy do they shift
around! Enough to destabilise the Rift Valley, opening up a vast gulf at
Berenice, which promptly crashes into the gap and is washed away by the
inrushing waters. The sea floods all the way up the Rift Valley, inundating
the Salt Sea and the Jordan valley right up to the Sea of Gallilee; the
wash eats away some weakened land to the west, forming a strait through
the Decapoleis, making Nazareth into a seaside resort town and eventually
allowing the Middle Sea to refill. Just not quite as planned! His work
even has its effect down south away -- the same rift valley splits open
and allows the sea to flood into the now widened valley, causing a great
gulf to open up in eastern Nubia. If they're lucky, the sources of the
Pyaro river won't be disturbed or diverted to this new gulf -- otherwise,
Kemeteia could dry up and become a desolate prairie like the rest of
Vandashanno, hardly able to support crops and definitely not able to
support extensive livestock ranching.

He could end up turning all of Lybia into a vast desert!...

> The customs that you mention for the Daine of Westmarche
> remind me a little
> of Princess Éfhelìnye’s people in that, though they are
> fairly patriarchal
> in many ways, see the arranging of marriages as the domain
> of the mothers
> and grandmothers of the family. Sure, the priestly caste is
> involved, but
> for all practical purposes the matrons of a family are going
> to be the ones
> who decide these all important marriage alliances. This
> becomes especially
> tricky the higher one goes in caste, because then the higher
> the stakes of the alliance is going to be.

Quite so. Daine in general are matriarchal and not terribly caste oriented.
Even so, inter-clan relations and alliances have often been at the heart
of such arrangements. And have, of course, also been at the heart of many
a tale of woe when the starcrossed protagonists find themselves in the
middle of strife all because they met the wrong person at the right time
(or the right person at the wrong time) and things get out of hand.

They have monastic confraternities, but these folks don't wield any power
in the daily operation of a nearby clan nor do they meddle in the marital
affairs of the people.

> ##

> "Morgoth’s Ring" is the tenth volume of "The History of
> Middle-Earth,"
> where we find the essay "Laws and Customs among the Eldar,"
> the dialogue
> "Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth" and "The Tale of Adanel."

Ah, these are things I've never read -- looks like there's rather more than
I had known about!

> In the first essay we learn that it takes 12 months to make
> an Elf baby,
> not 9 months like a human. Oh, and their words for "body"
> and "spirit" are
> slightly different in meaning to our words.

Which makes sense. The destinations of Man and Elf after death are rather
different. And the nature of both while on earth is also different.

> The other essays deal with
> theology or philosophy, from what I remember. I think they
> dealt with the
> Elvish version of resurrection/reincarnation at some point

I'll definitely want to look into that volume. I have some of the others,
which seem to me a bit of a tedious (in my opinion) look into the actual
construction of the Work, rather than anything about the world itself.

> From studying the essays, for instance, if we learned that
> Elves had no
> "original sin" (using a term from Catholicism) that may or
> may not affect
> how one would choose to translate certain passages.

Yes. That is how I've understood them. But neither do I think such a
doctrine should be all that difficult to translate or explain. After all,
not even all human religions have this doctrine, and such concepts get
discussed and explained all the time.

> How would the Eldar have understood baptism, for instance?

Perhaps in terms of ritual or spiritual cleansing. Baptism is a broad
enough concept among human religions that one single definition won't
do. There's people that baptise babies and those that don't; there's
people that baptise once and those that baptise more than once. There's
baptism for the dead as well as for the living.

> Or would it just be best to say
> "John dipped someone into the Anduin?" Moreover,
> understanding Elvish
> reincarnation (and the vocabulary associated with it), might
> influence our
> interpretation of other passages. Perhaps the Eldar would
> think that John
> the Baptist was Elijah come again? What exactly would the
> Eldar think of
> the Incarnation? How would they interpret "The Angel of the
> LORD?"

I think they understood that there was a difference between what happens
to an Eldar and what happens to a Man after death. The Gift of Men vs. the
bound nature of the Eldar to the world. It might be as incomprehensible to
them as physical immortality is to us, except in the most shallow of ways.
Can we really fathom what it must be like to live not a century but a
crore of myriads of ages? And here Men enter and exit in the merest flicker
of time in comparison!

The Incarnation? What's hard about that? ;) Iluvatar has decided to go on
walkabout and is coming to ME for a visit! He will be born into the life
of Man, be subject to all its joys and sorrows, be tempted and tossed about
by circumstance as any other Man would and at the last, after a very short
time indeed, die from the world again.

It might be a bit harder to explain his resurrexion after three days and
the resurrexion of the body after death...

But I have no doubt that such explanations would only touch upon the
surface of the issues that I don't even think people talking about them
have sure & certain knowledge of. And I doubt that an Eldar would really
understand that better than you or I! Some things are just plain mysteries.

> This is what I find especially challenging, in attempting to
> lift a text
> like Ruth and bring it into a new fictional world. It
> requires a new way of imagining, almost.

Yep, and that's what makes it so much fun! Even if you never find the
answer, you always end up discovering more about that other world than
you knew before.

> ##

> Anyway, I enjoy everything that you write, Padraic.
>
> So far, I’ve translated the first chapter of Ruth.

I think I'm going to have a crack at Jonah one of these days. The World
has all sorts of whalefish and land whales and other shallow water sea
monsters that will happily invite youse down for dinner with them in
the briny deep.

And of course, you'd be the main course! Wot an honour!

> It takes place on the
> crimson Moons of Khnìntha, before they became the heretics
> – the people of
> Princess Éfhelìnye’s Sister. A group of Clone Sisters
> have failed in their
> duty to protect their queen, but one Clone remains with her
> foster mother,
> to travel to her old homeland, whose Queen used to be the
> feudal master to
> the foster mother’s husband’s family.

Well, I'd like to see that when tis done!

Padraic