CONLANG  May 2012, Week 2

CONLANG May 2012, Week 2

Re: Whale of a Tale

Puey McCleary <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 May 2012 22:05:50 -0400

By the way, hereís a link that describes the work thatís involved in
translating the Bible into a real world language on planet earth. Itís
interesting to look at all the steps that they have to undergo, and then
compare that to the somewhat truncated version of what we have to do to
translate such a text into our languages.
*

http://www.wycliffe.org/go/careers/typesofwork/languagework/translation/bibletranslationstepbystep.aspx
*

I have no idea what a "Lolcat Bible" is supposed to be. But I found this
while looking for the above:
*

http://www.lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
*

##

Padraic, there are several different routes that you could take if you were
interested in writing a novel (or series of novels), or a collection of
short stories, or as Garth has suggested a travelogue. If youíre more
comfortable with discussing novel-y things with me off-list, go ahead.
Otherwise I may start tossing ideas at you. But this all depends on what
exactly your intentions with the World are.

I do like the travelogue idea, and there are many ways to make that part of
your plot. For instance, we have a young character who needs to go on a
journey, and on the way he or she ends up seeing the world. Just think of
The Odyssey, or Dune, of the Lord of the Rings. You get the idea.

However, I get the impression from your writing (and I may be quite wrong
about this) that youíre able to expand on some aspect of the World in an
extemporaneous and rather humorous manner. I can see some of these
descriptions such as of your "polyspeculum" as being a foot note. Gulliver
meets Bartram and maybe just sees the polyspeculum, and the somewhat
intrusive narrator adds a footnote which is basically the first five
paragraphs of your last email epistle.

I think anyone would like to see a comic opera based on Alexander the
Possibly Above Average. Alex was after all the very model of an ancient
princely general.

Iíll have to write down peweytas-LU. PuÓye is the diminutive of PuÓyos, the
name of the Crown Prince Ö itís all complicated thing. Itís actually almost
a feminine diminutive. He has three sisters and some female cousins whoíve
afflicted him with that name, and of course his future wife calls him that.
This occasionally causes humorous situations when a rather large and
ferocious enemy looks at the Prince and, before the combat, has to ask him,
"How did you get a girlís name?"

It actually would be interesting to see the world where the Fenian Cycle or
the Ulster Cycle, in a highly developed form, were the equivalent of
Arthurian mythology. So there would be some very ancient bones to these
stories, but theyíve been mashed together many times, developed and mutated
and

blossomed.

This could be used as a plot for a story that you write. In the World,
whatís the legend thatís the equivalent of the Quest for the Holy Grail,
but in this different cultural context?

I do like, though, how the World is a little different to some alternate
histories in that some alternative histories just seem to have Everything
Our World Has, but with slightly different names. The fact that the World *
doesnít* have Charlemagne or Islam or the Song of Roland almost makes it
more different than the fact that it actually has magic as a real force.

As exotic as I may find the Rum of Kemeteia-Misser and the marriage
practices of their ruling houses, in all fairness there are similar customs
among the holy Pwťru, the House of the Sun, who are Princess …fhelžnyeís
family, the Divine Caste. Her fatherís parents were siblings, after all,
and their parents were almost certainly half-siblings. However, in their
defense, considering that they really are divine, perhaps those of us in
our world shouldnít worry about it too much.

This does however cause a few quirks in their language. Words for "brother"
and "sister" quite often can mean "cousin" or "friend." However,
occasionally, especially among the upper classes, such words also get used
even among married couples, even though theyíre clearly not siblings.

This actually is quite relevant to Ruth. Boaz consistently calls Ruth
"daughter," in our version. In the Khlžjha version it will almost certainly
be "maiden" or "sister."

Your outline of great cataclysm is wonderfully descriptive.

Iím going to guess that the Dark One could be used as a translation for the
Satan character in the Bible, if he already isnít the same chap. The Beings
in the flaming heart of the world may lend their names to Beelzebub or any
other similar names mentioned in the Bible. Iím guessing the Beings have
suitably Cthulhu-esque names.

Oliphants toppling the ancient city of Jericho is quite imaginative.
However, my real concern is what one would do with the rest of the Book of
Joshua. The historical texts are quite a complicated web of references, and
trying to find a cognate for each one would be quite a challenge.

I donít know why I imagine Thomas Eddystone with wild white hair standing
on end and mutter "1.1 giga-ambers."

But thatís all a story to be told at another time. Iím going to get back to
Bible translation issues for now.

##

Since weíve brought up Judas, I must say, one reason why I like Jonah is
that itís challenge was fairly one dimensional. One reason I like Ruth is
because the problem is almost entirely cultural. But once we dip our toes
into the New Testament, there are all sorts of theological concepts, or
plot points, or the like that may cause problems. One them may well be
Judas. I donít know what exactly to do with him.

The other problem is what to do with Satan or the Devil. The Land of Story
has no character that quite corresponds to him. But then again, weíre
famously told that Klingons have no devil, but Iím sure that a Klingon
Bible would probably press the word veqlargh ("devil, demon, Fekílhr") to
service.

##

"The History of Middle-Earth" contains many treasures, many strange ideas,
and many drafts that bounce from sketches to rather polished. Perhaps itís
best just to dip into it and see what one can find.

In terms of what the Quendi actually believed (in this fictitious context),
even if one does oneís best to translate a story word by word, such as the
baptism story, itís still useful to examine it from all contexts. But then
again, if one does use terms like "spiritual cleansing" or "symbol of
rebirth" or the like, one just has to remember that Paul also mentions
baptism (if I remember right), so one may want to repeat that language.
Also, there areritual baths in the Hebrew Bible also.

However, letís imagine that the Quendi decide to translate the characters
in the Gospels as Elves Ö

If the Elves do decide that they have to be baptized, than we do have all
sorts of questions as to when, how many times, and in which incarnation. If
an Elf is literally born again, does he also have to be baptized again in
his new body?

Or what about in John where we do have the term "born again/ born from
above." Not only is that going to be a translation challenge (if one wants
to keep the pun) Ö well, the Elves really do get born again!

Perhaps the Incarnation could somehow be likened to elements of Elvish
history (or even Elvish mythology if you think that The Silmarillion
contains elements that the Elves themselves considered folklore and not
history, such as the entire flat-earth beneath the sun and moon spirits
things). For instance, Melian was incarnated in a way, when she came down
to Middle-earth and became Thingolís wife. The death of Lķthien is a
sacrifice a little like the death of Christ Ė the death of an Immortal
because of love. I could imagine terms like that being used to describe
elements of the Gospels.

##

So far Iím on chapter two of Ruth. This part is a bit easier than chapter
one, because we get to the agricultural portion rather than the back-story
portion.

The only real difference is that, instead of Ruthís meeting Boaz in the
fields, she meets Boazís mother (the Queen). The Queen is the one whoís
impressed with Ruthís filial piety to her foster-mother, plus it makes
sense for the Queen to call Ruth "my daughter."

In this version the story emphasizes Ruthís service to her foster mother
and her future mother in law, her potential as a good daughter by marriage.
Mothers are pretty much the people one wants to impress, at least in this
story.