CONLANG  May 2012, Week 2

CONLANG May 2012, Week 2

Re: Whale of a Tale

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 12 May 2012 16:24:53 -0700

--- On Fri, 5/11/12, Puey McCleary <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> From: Puey McCleary <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: [CONLANG] Whale of a Tale
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Date: Friday, May 11, 2012, 9:33 PM
> Ah, as usual it seems that I’ve
> asked a question which is far too broad, or
> a question whose meaning could be interpreted in many ways.
> I think that
> I’m more interested in the kaleidoscope of creativity that
> I find on this
> list than in finding a specific answer. A phrase, an image,
> even a single
> word can certainly inspire one down a multitude of paths
> which one could never have anticipated.

Well, in that case, let the kaleidoscope whirl on! And don't I know all
about the multitude of paths one can go down while trying to sort out
answers to these questions! So far, I've been into the Book of Ruth,
articles on Indo-European kinship terms, Roman and Egyptian marriage
customs, and while finding some music to listen to wandered through the
wonderful world of dulcians and shawms, watched some videos of the French
royal family, then the Germans and Austrians, then came across an old
dance called the Running Footman and just had to take about an hour trying
to find the notes for the music (only to find that the notes ain't quite
right and will now have to spend another hour or so with pipe in hand
trying to get the tune), and now also have to look into the thaumery of
kaleidoscopes (thank you very much!) and how they can affect the course
of creativity.

> (Although it’s true that levirite marriage is certainly
> exotic from a
> modern standpoint, I do remember learning about it in Sunday
> school and in
> English class not just for the Book of Ruth, but also for
> the passage in
> the Gospels where Christ discusses the woman who married
> seven brothers.
> Possibly also in the Book of Tobit, though I don’t
> remember whether the
> seven bridegrooms were brothers. I also remember levirite
> marriage being
> offered as a possibility for the discrepancies in the
> genealogies of the Gospels.)

I'd never heard the term before, but had heard of the concept, though not
necessarily as found in the Bible.

> I actually would be interested in knowing how the story of Ruth would be
> adapted to the Talarians and the Rum in terms of their own
> traditions and understanding.

The current marriage customs of the Talarians are both monogamous and
exogamous. A man goes outside his clan to find a wife and brings her back
to his clan territory. Divorce sans bairnockies is allowed with
justification and without further impediment to remarriage. Multiple
unions and concubinage are disallowed, though instances of the latter have
been known. Since time out of mind, widows with children have been
cared for by a chosen 'alternate', the "taywiros", who will take on the
responsibilities of the deceased husband. The office of 'alternate' is a
well respected one in Talarian culture -- most anything a person does,
from entering into a contract to engaging in a duel will be done with a
taywiros at one's side. If you're a Kristian family, you'll choose a
taywiros to stand with you at the wedding and at the baptism of your
seven year olds. A young boy who going to go take care of a local bully
might have a taywiros at his side. The taywiros doesn't become married to
the widow, just looks after her affairs as her husband would.

I think some time in the distant past, it would have been expected that
one of the deceased husband's brothers would take on the widow as a
second wife or concubine (if he were already married) or as principle wife.
(In fact, the word for concubine, "irilas" literally means "the second
one", most likely referring to this ancient practice. As time has passed,
this has evolved from an actual marriage to a sort of office of familial
honour.

Now, taywiros does indeed come etymologically from *daiwer, but has lost
its original kinship meaning while expanding its role in society. As for
Ruth, the story would be understood quite the opposite from the biblical
understanding: clearly, the Talarian Naomi now has no taywiros to look
after her, and also no sons who, in the absence of a taywiros would be the
ones to look after their widowed mother. In Talarian society, the next
logical step for a taywirosless widow to take is to move back to her own
kin. This would be a happy homecoming for her own kin though bittersweet
for herself. The only people who would be really out of luck are the
husband's family (especially if she's taking yoùng sons with her) because
not only do they lose the dowry (with no means of recovery), but they also
have lost the husband, and now the wife and also children who they have
raised and cared for and all the household goods, wealth and livestock
that the wife now controls.

In the Talarian story of Ruth, it would be highly unusual for a widowed
mother and two widowed daughters in law to remain together. The Talarian
Naomi would also urge her "senosâs" to go back their own kin, and she
herself would naturally plan to return home to hers. The Talarian Ruth
might also plead "Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay.
Your people will be my people and your God my God" but her kin, if they
ever heard about her widowhood, would be within rights to come after her
and try and obtain her goods, cattle, children and wealth (which by rights
fall to her clan when her husband dies). Naomi wouldn't have this problem
because she's going back to her own kin, so any wealth she has remains with
her intact. Ruth could renounce hers and satisfy her clan's honor. If she
chose to keep it, she would have to fight to keep it. Mind you, the clan
of her "satras" (mother in law) would probably not take up her cause
(unless she were fabulously wealthy and had enough to make it worth their
while to engage in a clan war). Ruth doesn't strike me as greedy, though,
so would probably let it go, thus avoiding a Talarian style Hatfields-n-
McCoys.

Upon returning home, Naomi would be welcomed and one of her brothers would
be appointed her taywiros (clearly, there can be no sense of "marriage"
here!). Ruth's arrival might cause a little consternation -- if she were
still young (30s to perhaps early 40s -- still well within childbearing
age) she might find herself the object of attention by some of Naomi's
brothers' sons or nephews. If Ruth marries (in this case, something very
much like a levirate marriage), she might very well find herself in the
middle of a brewing feud, because her new husband's clan will now be
compelled to defend her and her property from her dead husband's clan who
does have a legitimate claim on said property. Legally, she is under no
restriction to remarry and is not compelled to return to her kin, so Ruth
would be well within rights to settle among her mother-in-law's clan. A
man of that clan is within rights to court and marry her and may accept
her property and the potential strife that goes with.

* * *

Among the Rum of Kemeteia-Misser, marriage is generally monogamous,
and divorce is allowed. Laws regarding marriage and family date back in
part to the time of Divine Agustas and in part back to the Atalantean
homeland of the Kemetians. Polygamy is almost de rigeur among the high
nobility and very common among the lesser nobility and higher middle
classes.

Marriage between kin groups is regulated mostly by local custom. Sibling
marriage was very common in earlier ages (perhaps up to the 17th century
or so) and still is very common among the high nobility. Levirate
marriage is unknown and illegal, except for the Pharaoh, who is expected
to marry at least one sibling. If that spouse dies, another sibling must
be married to fill the void.

As a matter of fact, the current incumbent, Ankh-Alexandra IV (peace, long
life and everlasting her reign!) at first married her brother-prince
Julian Alexander, but he died shortly after the coronation in a hunting
accident. Even before poor Julian could be properly embalmed, her seven
year old brother Amun-Philipos was pressed into service as brother-husband
of the young Pharaoh. It's unlikely that these sibling marriage
relationships will be sexual in nature (though, you know the Kemeteians --
give it a half dozen years) and she will in time select two or three
husbands of her own.

Now, there are many more Jews in the Uttermost West than there are in the
distant Eastlands -- though Jerusalem lies in ruins and the whole Jordan
rift valley is about to be accidentally flooded, there are at least three
Jewish kingdoms to the east of the Empire, and many Jews live in Kemeteia
proper and all down the coast into Ethiopia and up along the coasts of
Anatolia and as far as Armenia.

Their customs are far better known there, though I am not certain if they
still practice levirate marriage. Naturally, a Kemetian Naomi wouldn't
even suggest to Ruth the possibility of marrying her deceased husband's
brother, though might quite naturally announce her plans to marry again.
And furthermore, she would almost certainly encourage her daughters in law
to do the same. Good Rumen values, wot! As for the story itself, or indeed
other places you mention where levirate marriage arises, there would have
to be some kind of editorial aside, along the lines of "...for so was the
custom among the Jews in those days" in order to introduce a truly foreign
concept.

* * *

Alright! Got the Running Footman sorted...

Among the Daine of Westmarche, and most other places in the Eastlands,
marriages are arranged and are contracted between the mothers and mother-
sisters of the couple. It's the young woman's job to, if she's amenable
to the fellow, to initiate the courtship and seal the deal as it were. The
young man has the right to refuse, but for the most part they are expecting
this day and family pressures will often win out. And it's not like your
mom and aunts are going to choose someone incompatible or downright
unfriendly to you. Chances are very good you've met her several times
before and so this day should come as no surprise. Protestation is just
part of the game. Even so, most young men will forget all that and go about
their lives until the Day arrives and there's your sister banging on your
door at the crack of dawn shouting for you to roust yourself up cos
they're here! For most, it's not until the young woman and her sisters are
all arranged around the bed waiting for you to get your lazy bones out
from under the covers that the reality of the Day in question smacks you
in the face.

Multiple marriages are fairly common, and it is often the first wife who
will suggest a potential second. It's very rare for a Daine woman to take
more than one husband. Though there is Dar Harann (the Queen of Darennallie
who can quite legitimately say she's lost count of how many husbands she's
got) who can stand as counterexample to almost every instance of ordinary
multiple marriage. We don't even need to get into other kinds of marriage
here that one can participate in.

If the girl's husband dies and they didn't have any children, she is
naturally free to marry or not in future as she will. If they had a child,
she doesn't have to marry again and she doesn't have to fear any kind of
cultural negativity from the "predicament" that human single mothers might
face. Daine culture is very keen on children and families won't let a
widowed mother of little ones go without or suffer needlessly. If she
wishes to remarry, she could always ask her mother and mother-sisters to
look into the possibility of marrying a brother of her dead spouse. In
fact, it is not uncommon for the family of a newly married man to send a
brother or cousin to live for a time with him in his new home. Sometimes
this one will be pressed into service, or might even volunteer. She could
also marry someone else entirely.

> So, for instance, how could the Story of Ruth be adapted to
> the Quendi, the
> Elves of Middle Earth? We know they have nothing at all
> approaching
> levirite marriage, or even arranged marriages, or divorce
> for that matter.
> If one were to translate Ruth into Quenya and yet still have
> it make sense
> to the Elves, what would one do with the first half of
> Chapter Four, which
> is essentially a section on haggling over property and
> inheritance?

You might just have to shake your head slowly and say "...for so are the
strange customs of benighted Men!" I don't know enough about Eldar culture
(and I don't think Tolkien really told us enough either) to answer these
questions sufficiently.

> There are no right answers, no wrong answers. Just different
> possibilities.
> I wonder what we can and cannot do with story and the
> languages that we
> make, and I’d like to explore all those possibilities.

That's what makes this so much fun! Much of what we can or can not do will
simply be self-imposed restrictions based on how our cultures would react
to this or that storyline.

Otherwise, I don't think there are any particular limitations...

Padraic