CONLANG May 2012, Week 4

Re: USAGE: Phonotactic Information

"J. M. DeSantis" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 23 May 2012 22:05:22 -0400

Dirk,

Likewise, I do apologise myself for jumping the gun.

Unfortunately, for all of the languages I listed, I have done Google
searches using the terms phonotactics, syllable structure and
phonological constraints to no avail. (As for why you had better luck I,
honestly, cannot provide an answer, but know that I have looked in
earnest, as I do enjoy researching things and am not one to give up
easily.) Of all the languages I've needed (and the list was double the
size, but the first time I posted about the topic, I was able to get two
gentlemen to knock out half the list in one response each), Swahili (on
the former list) was the only one I've found the constraints for.

Though, you do touch on a interesting topic worth addressing. Although I
had not considered the simple CV structure can be misleading, I
recognise the possibility of it being so. However, in this case, the CV
structure would work fine as I'm more looking to use the information as
a guide to help create the look and feel of these natlangs within the
structure of my conlangs. That said, I am, unfortunately, not a linguist
by trade or schooling. I merely developed an interest years ago (after
reading Tolkien, as I'm sure many conlangers start with) and have
learned, slowly, over the years, only lately taking it seriously enough
to join the Conlang List (back in December, I think). I've much to
learn, no doubt, and so, if it pleases you, pointing me in the right
direction for discovering the syllable structure of these natlang would
be equally helpful. Just know in this one area alone, I have not had
much luck with the internet and, as I said in a previous posting,
Comrie's The World's Major Languages, is devoid of dead languages, and
besides, I have not found any phonotactic information on the living
languages in the book.

On a side note, I have been told, dissecting words within a given
language will help you "recreate" the syllable structure. However, I
have found using this method I will often, weeks or months later, find
my construction was incorrect (as in Latin, for example, when I took out
the possibility of (C)(L)V in favour of (C)V only to learn the former is
more correct than the latter when I looked at other words) and so find
myself endlessly going back to the drawing board.

In short, I'm trying to get past this hurdle so I can simply move on to
name creation and get on with the storytelling side of things. Thus,
finding syllable structure formulas would streamline this process,
rather than having to reconstruct it by studying any give languages'
words in depth. Again, if you could point me in the right direction, I'd
be much obliged.

Thank you again. All the best.

Sincerely,
J. M. DeSantis
Writer - Illustrator

Website: jmdesantis.com <http://www.jmdesantis.com>
Figmunds: figmunds.com <http://www.figmunds.com>
Game-Flush (A Humorous Video Game Site): game-flush.com
<http://www.game-flush.com>