CONLANG  May 2012, Week 4

CONLANG May 2012, Week 4

Re: A Conlanger's Theusaurus

Alex Fink <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 24 May 2012 12:56:47 -0400

How much "original research" are you open to doing for this project --- in particular, how willing are you to try to extract generalizations that aren't written down in the literature anywhere?

----

Anyway, I'm just going to blather and free-associate for awhile about other things that might be incorporable into your thesaurus.  Some of it I can remember citations for, more of it I unfortunately can't (and can't think how to recover).  Also nearly all of it's language-particular.  But perhaps they at least are pointers towards things to research into.

Colour terms have been mentioned.  It's been said of Homer (see the other current thread), and separately of Anglo-Saxon poetry, that their dearth of terms that modern sensibilities consider colour terms is made up for by a wealth of terms for brightness / lustre / etc.  So there's a different way to split the semantics.
One thing Berlin & Kay explicitly excluded is colour terms specific to certain objects (_blonde_; _bay_, _roan_, ...), which AIUI are frequentish.
Also frequent are fixed applications of colour terms (and something like this is surely true in much more generality than colour) according to an old system even once it has expanded: in Japanese, which now has _midori_ 'green', objects that are collocationally green are still _aoi_ 'grue' > 'blue'; in Hungarian _vörös_ vs. _piros_ is most straightforwardly deeper vs. brighter red, but all reds with emotional resonance are _vörös_.
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_language#Two_words_for_.22red.22

Verb framing, i.e. whether motion verbs express path (_floated out_) or manner (_salió flotando_), is a well-studied thing.
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verb_framing
and the papers of Talmy cited there are canonical for this, I think.
A third option is that the verb stems are classificatory, for shape / consistency / etc. of the referent; this is what Athabaskan does.  (The paper you link to on 'eat' shows this off for Navajo, but did they also say 'eat' == 'put into the mouth'?  Motion verbs are generally regarded as being the core locus of this thing.)

Various ways to divide up the semantic space of kin terms are also well-known; see e.g.
  http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/arts/anthropology/tutor/kinterms/toc.html

Parallel to the Somali camel words are the Sami reindeer words; they also do in fact have lots of snow words:
  http://www.arcticlanguages.com/papers/Magga_Reindeer_and_Snow.pdf

Sense perception: I've seen a cross-linguistic map where, beyond sight, the senses split into contact vs. non-contact senses.
      < hearing < smell
sight
      < touch < taste
I think it was stated that sense terms themselves would only expand right, whereas synaesthetic extensions would only move left.  Your diagrams are mostly richer, though, and in the Swedish case contradict this one...  except that we're informed upthread that Swedish doesn't actually behave like that... except that Romanian does.  So I don't know.  This map might be older and obsoleted by what you have.
(Anyway, this whole "five senses" division is a relic of Aristotle; QI etc. will tell you that there are lots and lots of senses.  AFMCLs with Sai, there are also five basic senses but they split differently: sight, hearing, chemical sense (smell/taste), touch, and body-internal senses (proprioception, balance, etc.))

I've also seen a small map of, I think, six verbs in Korean that split up the space English devotes to 'open'.

And I read that 'slow' and 'fast' tend not to be lexicalized at all in languages of less-technological populations.  Rather it's more common to get words / constructions better thought of as 'non-energetic' and 'energetic' instead (or other things like those in your extant maps).

Spatial relations.  You have just "north, east, west, south".  Sometimes intermediate points "northeast" etc. are lexicalised separately (Finnic; also Australian exemplars).  Alternately for groups that live over a small range -- on one side of a coast of one island (Oceanic does a lot of this, e.g.) -- there won't be these gridlike direction words but only local topological ones, "toward the coast" / "up the mountain" / etc.
Another thing some Australian languages, e.g. Guugu Yimithirr
  http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/magazine/29language-t.html
will do is entirely lack egocentric directions, saying "east of my north foot" rather than "in front of my left foot", etc.

Oh, and there must have been studies of the temporal-spatial metaphor used in various languages, for whether the past or the future is ahead of or behind us or something else.  In English metaphor the future is ahead and the past behind (in broad strokes.  But then what does "the Wednesday meeting has been moved forward two days" mean?  Sai can point you to some interesting research about how the schema one invokes to interpret is influenced by whether you're entering or leaving an airport, among other things!).  Ancient Greek IIRC has the past ahead of us.  Mandarin has time vertical.  Etc.

Shape-based polysemies must be common but I've never seen a principled treatment; but for instance 'eye' and 'sun' both I think tend to give names of round things.  And in Celtic we have _sùil_ etc. *'sun' > 'eye'; in Malay a composition of the reverse sort, _mata-hari_ 'sun' = 'eye day'.

Though that in turn reminds me that noun class semantic maps would also be in scope for you, right?  There're some great ones for Swahili here:
  http://www2.iath.virginia.edu/swahili/swahili.html

Oh, hey, Lakoff's _Women, fire, & dangerous things_ has a lot of this in there, doesn't it?  A big semantic map of English 'over', in particular.

Hm, and Mark Rosenfelder, when he wrote his grammar of Xurnese, wrote the semantics section to particular length in order to inspire people to consider these topics.
  http://zompist.com/xurnash.htm#semantics
It's of course at double remove from usefulness for you, being a worked conexample, but it shouldn't surprise me if there's some good research behind the curtain.

That'll do for now.

Alex