CONLANG  May 2012, Week 4

CONLANG May 2012, Week 4

Re: What's In a Name?

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 25 May 2012 16:31:50 -0700

--- On Fri, 5/25/12, J. M. DeSantis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Let me explain (without sounding like I'm back peddling). I
> understand the necessity of representing non-extant sounds
> in a language with the closest possible sound in the
> language using that name. I suppose what I'm trying to argue
> is this: there seems to be no trouble pronouncing Yeshua for
> English speaking peoples, so why use a bastardised Latin
> version (though, I know, I know, it's too common in
> English)? It's just my opinion that the English language
> should have adopted Yeshua (or some other transliteration of
> the original Hebrew name) and not Jesus.

Well, it's really quite simple. "Jesus" is simply the English name for
the man in question.

It would be like asking why we don't drink Hershey's xocolatl melukaz.
Languages change and rarely does one language borrow a word or a name
from another and leave it inviolately unchanged for all time. Even if we
dìd borrow "Yeshua" back in the early days of Christianisation in England,
we probably wouldn't be pronouncing it that way now. I don't know how the
sound changes would sort out.

We've had the word for such a long time, this /dZiz@z/, that we got from
our Latin linguistic and religious heritage, that "Yeshua" doesn't even
actually compute for most English speakers. For a good thousand years or
more, Jesus is God, but Yeshua is that guy down at the Jewish delicatessen.

We didn't adopt "Yeshua" because Latin didn't adopt "Yeshua". They adopted
"Iesous" from the Greek. (Ray can correct me I've got that wrong!)

> On the other hand (what I think I was simultaneously
> attempting to argue--and perhaps didn't mix well with the
> above arguement), we have names like Shiva.

Shiva is a very new borrowing, and still very much an alien and poorly
understood concept. He's a Hindu god ... that's probably much more than
many folks know about him! ;)

> I have seen the
> name written Siva (sometimes with a diacritic over the S and
> sometimes not) and Shiva.

I would hazard the guess that the unsettled orthography indicates a newish
concept. Jesus has been a stable and settled concept for many centuries.

> Yet SH informs the sound ship to
> any English speaking person and so, I'd think,

How about Tieeveh? Sjiebhuh?

> that would be
> the standard way of transliterating the Sanskrit name

I guess it depends on what tranliteration scheme you're using. As you note,
some favor "sh", others "Ś".

> (since, in this case, Shiva is not spelled using the Latin
> alphabet at all,

In Sanskrit, perhaps. In English, the name is spelled using the Latin
alphabet all the time!

> but rather more commonly in Devanagari and
> so needs to be transliterated to be read by anyone not
> familiar with Devanagari). However, of course, this becomes
> a problem when compared with Irish Siobhan. To speakers of
> Irish Gaelic, Siva would read Shiva, just as Siobhan reads
> Shivan. And so it begs the question: do you continually
> re-transliterate a name every time it appears in a new
> language?

Any time a new foreign name comes along, it gets some kind of
transliteration. Take a look at all the ways we've used to spell Khadaffy
Duck's name over the years. Consider it lucky that Shiva ports well!

> Or, in the case of languages using the Latin
> alphabet, do we just have a standard spelling of a name and
> learn to read it as such?

Not often. There may still be several variants. My own name is one of
several possible variants using the Latin alphabet. And I wouldn't even
know how to transliterate it from its native language!

> (English speakers especially
> should be familiar with this practice as there never seems
> to be a rule in English which is a strict, unbroken
> rule--never mind it's common for us to meet with names that
> don't "sound the way their spelled.")

Well that's just it -- they're *always* spelled just like how they sound!

Taint my fault if we simply have dozens of ways of spelling any given
sound! ;)

> Perhaps then, Jesus
> should be pronounced ye-shu-a and not jee-zus by English
> speakers.

Why? /dZiz@z/ is simply how it's pronounced. Or maybe you should learn
how to say bloody /dZiz@z/ and have done with this sort of ridiculosity?

Honestly, why is it we English speakers are always in the wrong? We don't
pronounce things good enough for you! We don't spell things right for
you! I'm quite tired of this sort of rhetoric. (Not you personally -- but
this isn't the first time we've had some English bashing hereabouts.)

> Then again, there's the problem of Jesus/hay-zeus
> which further complicates that notion.

That's Spanish. Don't let's get started on that!

> Perhaps, in the end, there's really no perfect answer to
> this problem

There is indeed a perfect answer to this perceived problem: leave my
bloody language alone already! If we want to say "Dzhezuz" and spell
"Jesus", well, who are you (or anyone else) to say we can't or oughtn't? I
don't complain about how anyone else spells or pronounces things in their
own languages. I don't even complain how other people have adapted and
adopted English to suit their own circumstances. Just a little mutual
respect in the old language department, eh. :)

> (as many likely know, and I'm merely writing my
> way to that conclusion--why else have the IPA?), and it's
> merely a case of the individual linguist to "translate" and
> "transliterate" their conlang names as they see fit,
> according to their own sensibilities and preferences.
> Certainly, writing further on this topic is making me
> consider even more how all of this would effect my own
> conlang names were I so fortunate to have my writing
> translated into other languages. It's great food for
> thought.

Indeed! Though I would quite doubt that any conlang related parts of your
work would be "translated". I would think they (the names)'d be left as
are.

As for the IPA, that would be even worse than our current spelling system,
because each person has his own realization of the language and thus might
"spell" a word slightly differently.

Cheers,
Padraic