Thanks Sebastian. I meant .docx--excellent point. Though sometimes when
we've had real issues we just run through as many combinations as we can
til one works. But that's very rare--and even more so lately.
And in terms of fonts, I think that's quite a sensible design decision
and it was no problem to solve it (though I don't remember seeing
documentation on it, that could be just because we didn't look).
But in recent months, even that's not been an issue. The student I was
working with the other day hadn't realised she was supposed to convert
to character styles: in other words it has been six or nine months since
we had those issues.
It is excellent work! Thank you!
On 12-06-25 02:51 PM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> On 25 Jun 2012, at 21:42, Daniel O'Donnell wrote:
>> There had been trouble early on with font style changes (i.e. italics or bold on) producing a lot of noise in the XML. But recently that's been excellent too. When it was a problem, we found using character styles instead of font properties worked.
> it may be worth me saying publicly that
> a) the docx to TEI XML conversion is the method with best besting and development (thanks to ISO). conversion from doc goes via OpenOffice, which is unreliable,
> and the conversion odt to TEI is not as well developed. Remember, .doc != .docx, by a very long chalk.
> b) it was a conscious decision in docx to TEI to concentrate on styles at the expense of direct changes to font, size, colour, style etc. if in doubt, use character and block styles.
> Sebastian Rahtz
> Head of Information and Support Group
> Oxford University Computing Services
> 13 Banbury Road, Oxford OX2 6NN. Phone +44 1865 283431
Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Professor of English
University of Lethbridge
Lethbridge AB T1K 3M4
+1 403 393-2539