Re: TEI & Drupal, revisited

Franz Fischer <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 29 Jun 2012 16:04:48 +0200

Please find below Niall's description of the two TEI/Drupal projects
as realized by the RIA/DHO.

Franz

     Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 11:56:15 +0100
     From: Niall O'Leary <[log in to unmask]>
  Subject: Re: Re: TEI & Drupal, revisited

[...]

It might also help to mention Doegen (http://dho.ie/doegen) which is a less
complex implementation of Drupal and TEI.  Here is a general overview of
the technologies used in the two projects:

The Confessio Hyperstack Project
Drupal is used to store all assets used in the site, including non-TEI
elements such as audio, video and standard text articles.  Scans of
manuscripts are served using IIPServer which uses a tiled approach to the
images enabling dynamic zooming and navigation of the image files.  All
navigation between these manuscript images, between Confessio texts and
between the two is achieved using a combination of JQuery (a javascript
framework), TEI files, XSL transformations and a bespoke module developed
by the DHO initially used to access its Fedora Repository.  Though Fedora
was not used in the Confessio project, the module allowed the application
of XSL transformations to XML content and so was used for this purpose.
TEI files were created for each translation of the Confessio and detailed
the associated image files and links required for the complex
cross-referencing needed. They also contained extensive metadata not always
displayed on the site, but available for further development and
integration with related projects.  A specific content type was created to
store the TEI content in individual nodes.  When this content was called by
the user, an XSL transformation was performed (via the Fedora module)
creating a complex html page with integrated javascript.  Javascript,
principally through the use of JQuery, was used to create the dynamic
aspects of the interface and handle the complex interlinking.

The Doegen Records Web Archive (http://dho.ie/doegen)
Two instances of Drupal are used for this project, one to handle the
complete workflow and another for the public interface.  The DHO's Fedora
repository was integral to this project.  Drupal was used to coordinate a
distributed network of content providers and control the submission of TEI
files (detailing the content and metadata concerning a series of audio
files recorded in the 1930s) to a central editor.  The editor could send
the files back to contributors for further work, edit them himself and or
submit the TEI files to the repository (which also held the audio files in
multiple formats).  The aim of this site was to get the completed files
into Fedora with the hopeful aim of making them available in whatever
format necessary to other projects besides the primary Doegen public
website.  Besides data on audio files, another set of TEI files detailing
speaker biographies were developed and managed by the system.
The public website is far simpler in its approach and emphasises
navigation.  Non-TEI content is also required here and standard content
types such as pages and events can be used.  There are, however, two
additional content types to handle the two different types of TEI files.
As with the Confessio Hyperstack Project, the DHO's own bespoke module was
used, this time to import content from Fedora and into unique nodes.  It
was also used to apply XSL transformations to TEI content and render it as
basic html content.  Drupal's taxonomy module was also used to aid in
navigation.

[...]

--
Mr Niall O'Leary
IT Projects Manager

Digital Humanities Observatory
Pembroke House
28-32 Upper Pembroke Street
Dublin 2, Ireland

-- A Project of the Royal Irish Academy --

Tel: +353 (0)1 234 2446
Fax: +353 (0)1 234 2400
Web: http://www.dho.ie

----- End forwarded message -----