CONLANG  June 2012, Week 1

CONLANG June 2012, Week 1

Re: TRANSLATION: Venus transit

Alex Fink <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Jun 2012 16:41:05 -0400

A bit of a tangent, but given our recent "A Conlanger's Theusaurus" thread:

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 14:00:17 -0400, Douglas Koller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>As Charlie points out for Senjecas, "drift" sounds a little weird in Géarthnuns, too, since we know the exact time and place, so I would take out the prefix "thnéve-", which means that it occurred "by chance" (there being no specific word for "drift" yet; "huth" for "waft" exists).

"Waft" strikes me as a relatively unlikely word to use as a gloss, the sort of word which if it did turn up on the English side of a conlexicon of mine would probably be in the company of three or four other words stabbing around the right area.  How is this semantic space divided up in Géarthnuns?

Alex