CONLANG  July 2012, Week 3

CONLANG July 2012, Week 3

Re: How many overloaded words?

Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 16 Jul 2012 19:59:22 -0600

On 16 July 2012 14:14, David Brumbley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> And alas, I do not have tables or
> sharable documentation to present on the language just yet, but that
> grammar, like so very many other things in life, is still a work in
> progress.

Sad. I look forward to seeing it. Progress in Mev Pailom has slowed
for many reasons, not least being that I feel like the current
paradigms are very much Sub Optimal and thus I am reluctant to spend
the effort internalizing them without absorbing a lot more inspiration
from other languages with template morphology.

> After reading your last email with Mev Pailom's paradigms laid out,
> not only will I be using "flatitude" as often as possible for the rest
> of my life, (there's just something wonderfully exact about it), but
> I'm also curious about how Mev Pailom is structured syntactically.  I
> ask because in reference to the original purpose of this chain, Mev
> Pailom seems to be much closer to the interests of efficiency in word
> quantity than Hsassiens.  If the paradigms you've quoted contain the
> words as they would appear in a Mev Pailom sentence, then that
> suggests it is reliant on word order or auxiliary particles for case
> and argument identification, in which case the number of unique words
> in the language is greatly reduced.

Yup. Verbs have no inflection, and there is no grammatical agreement
anywhere in the language. Nouns have a few inflectional forms (5,
total), but only one (the construct) has syntactic or other
grammatical relevance; the others are for particularity and number.
All of the paradigm forms are strictly derivational. The different
verb forms kind of blur the line between derivation and inflection,
since they specify argument structure, which is a syntactic thing, but
I let that count as derivation because the different verb forms that
result from any particular root would, for the most part, be
translated by completely different lexical items in English.

The full template for a non-elliptic, non-inverted clause looks
something like this:

[Clausifier] [Tense/Aspect] Verb [Agent] [Patient] [Focus] [Terminal]

'Clausifier' is a type of particle that identifies a phrase as a new
full clause; it's kind of like a complementizer, but it can appear on
top-level matrix clauses. Tense/Aspect is a particle chain, and
'Terminal' is a catch-all class of particles that can do evidentiality
stuff and some other random things but which, if it occurs,
unambiguously marks the end of a complete clause; basically, it means
that nothing that follows can have a syntactic relation to any
internal components of the previous clause, which is sometimes very
important because there is no syntactic distinction between a matrix
clause and a nominalized complement clause, which can result in
syntactic ambiguities like "I hear you and believe you" / "I hear you
and I hear that I believe you". They also nicely disambiguate the
attachment of terminal prepositional phrases- "I saw the man with the
telescope" in Mev Pailom probably means the man had the telescope,
because "I saw the man [Terminal] with the telescope" must have the
prepositional phrase attached to the entire preceding clause, so
that's what you'd be expected to say if that's what you meant.

Which of Agent, Patient, and Focus appear in a normal sentence depends
on the argument structure of the verb. However, since the argument
structure is built-in to every verb, any of the arguments can be
elided. Of course, if you elide an argument, then you lose positional
information to identify the roles of other arguments, so there's a
series of rules for how to figure out exactly what was left out. Case
comes into play here: There are in total 4 cases, marked by
phrase-level enclitics like the English " 's "; two of them are
genitives, one is the unmarked nominative, and the last is the
objective. Roles in inverted or elliptical sentences (technically, in
all sentences, but the rule is really simple for basic sentences: just
see the template above) are determined by relative positions with
respect to the verb & the objective case argument, if there is any.

A patient that occurs in the second position of the verbs argument
structure (i.e., any patient except those for P and P/F verbs) may be
explicitly marked as objective at any time, but doesn't have to be
unless the marking is necessary to apply one of the below rules.

An argument that is marked as objective must be a patient. This allows
fronting of patients: P-Obj V [A] [F]
An argument between a verb and an objective must be an agent; this
allows eliding foci: V A P-Obj. [F], F V A P-Obj.
Except when otherwise marked by one of the above rules, arguments must
be elided in the order A-P-F. This allows eliding an agent and a
patient, leaving behind just a focus, or eliding an agent and a focus
but leaving an explicitly marked patient.
Unless superceded by one the previous rules, an argument prior to a
verb must have the first role left in the elision list after dropping
as many as are needed to match the number of arguments in the clause.
Applicatives add an additional slot at the end of the usual elision list.

It's very difficult with those rules to front a focus in an A/F verb,
though it can be fudged by passivizing with an applicative to elide
the original agent position, but just about any other combination of
elision and reordering can be accommodated almost purely by syntax
with a little help from the objective clitic. The rules might change a
bit as the language evolves further, if better tweaks are discovered.

Attribution is handled in a few different ways:
1. Relative clauses.
2. A special coordinating conjunction that says "these two phrases
have the same referent". E.g., "the green plant" might be rendered as
"the green thing also the plant"; or, "I ate quickly" might be
rendered as "I ate also was quick".
3. A special attributive particle that says "the previous phrase
describes a quality of the following phrase".
All of 1 - 3 can be used for both adjectival and adverbial meanings.
4. Construct-state compounds; this can only be used with nominals.

-l.