CONLANG  July 2012, Week 3

CONLANG July 2012, Week 3

Re: Calligraphy (was: Speedtalks and briefscripts)

Adam Walker <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Jul 2012 19:55:12 -0500

Well, I fanially read through all the emails in this conversation, and I am
now going to join the fray.

I will start by saying that I agree with both Ray and Padraic AND with Mach
and others who have more or less agreed with him.

Of course that means that I also disagree with everyone to some degree or
other.

(Finally, Christophe almost made me want to cry with his post about the
loss of awareness of this beautiful art in both France and the
Netherlands.  How lands that produced so much beauty in the past have
become so bleakly utilitarian in the present makes me ache.)

Now back to calligraphy...

I do think that some scripts are more inherantly beautiful than others.  By
that I mean some have a finer sense of balance and construction exhibited
in their characters.  Some scripts just seem to be a wonderfully matched
set of symbols offering the right ballance of sameness and variety.  Other
scripts seem strangely unballanced or like odd collections of mismatched
symbols or a great many symbols that are too much of a muchness.  But that
does not mean that each and every script ever used cannot be written with
greater or lesser skill and with greater or lesser attention to the
praticular aesthetic inherent in that script.

I do not, however, accept that some scripts are inherantly "calligraphic."
Arabic has been touted, in this thread, as being particularly
calligraphy-friendly.  Runes have been denigrated as particularly
ill-suited to being beautifully written.  I balk at both assertions.

Calligraphy is of extreme cultural importance in lands using the Arabic and
Arabic-based scripts, so this art has ben highly developed, but that
doesn't mean that the script, per se, is more calligraphilic.  It only
means that more human energy has been put into producing works of
calligraphic art in those cultures -- greater output means more samples
from which to choose masterpieces, and more masterpieces to emulate.

Runes have been put forward as particularly calligraphobic, but I don't
find them so.  The runic alphabets, in most incarnations, have a fine sense
of ballance and that nice blend of sameness of stuly and difference of form
that lends itself to beautiful presentation, in my estimation.  I spent
random bits of the afternoon playing with the younger runes and produced
some calligraphic versions of my name which I quite like.  I don't claim to
be a calligrapher of talent sufficient to call my work art, (but I do
practice the art regularly and have been called on to letter wedding
invitations and other things for friends and collegues), so if I can
produce something I find pleasing in only an afternoon of scattered moments
of attempts, I have no doubt that several generations of rune-users who
properly esteemed this art could produce stunning masterworks in runic
calligraphy.

Chinese calligraphy is an interesting topic all to itself.  Chinese
calligraphy can encompass anything from the most painstakingly written
characters of exquisitly precise dimensions and perfect brushwork producing
kai3shu1 characters that could have been printed by machine and achieved no
more precision to the highly cursive grass characters cao3shu1 that are
practically illegible.  In fact I had one Chinese friend tell me, only half
jokingly, (in reference to cao3shu1 calligraphy) that it wasn't really
calligraphy if anyone other than the writer could read it!  But here again,
you have in the Chinese cultural shpere and group of cultures where the
written word has been venerated to the point where a single word alone,
even ones printed mechanically and of no particular artistic merit, are
commonly used as decoration and every child is required to at least attempt
to learn calligraphic presentation of the script during his or her
schooling.  With that level of production, only the very best examples of
3-4000 years of output need be considered art and still you have a mass of
such works.

Western output of calligraphy has slowed to a trickle compared to what it
once was, but still we have magnificent works of calligraphic art in Roman
scripts like the book of Kells or the Lindisfarne Gospels, or Spieghel der
Schrijfkonste.  There are exceedingly beautiful examples of a great many
varriants of the Roman script which can be discoverd with only a little
searching.  Many of these works can stand proudly beside anything produced
in the Arabic or Chinese scripts.  (And, yes, Thomas Jefferson's work on
the Declaration of Independence is magnificent.)

I have no experience of the calligraphic output of India, but I would
expect the ancient tradition of writing in many of the languages of the
subcontinent will have produced exquisite works of calligraphy.  I would
expect the same from the scripts of Southeast Asia.  Hebrew script styles
have produced some magnificent works. I expect Armenian and Georgian
calligraphers to have produced glorious works.  Even the Ethiopic scripts,
which I find unbalanced and awkwardly proportioned in handwriting, can, I
am sure, be used by a sufficiently talented artist to creat works
of calligraphic beauty.

someone mentioned the ability of Arabic script to stretch characters to
fill the available space as a feature that uniquely fits it for
calligraphy, but anyone who has done calligraphy with a Latin alphabet
script knows the same can be done with this alphabet.  The stroke that
closes the lower case e is often elongated into a flourish that can be
extended as far as you like, likewise the cross bar of a t, the final loop
of a g, y, q, the top of an r or f.  Flags can be added to a v, l, w or d.
there are many, many ways the letters can be addapted to fill as much space
as desired or to overlap each other artistically.  Or to cross lines of
text.  Or any number of embelishments.  The only limit is the
calligrapher's creativity.

Adam