CONLANG  August 2012, Week 5

CONLANG August 2012, Week 5

Re: Real names

Brian Woodward <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 30 Aug 2012 16:10:40 -0500

On Aug 29, 2012, at 16:04, Jim Henry <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Brian Woodward <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> whom you do. Even as far as jobs and friends. If your friends can't accept you then they're not your friends. If a job doesn't want you because of who you are you probably wouldn't be hired to begin with.
>
> Not all unpopular interests are worn on one's sleeves or listed on
> one's resume.  It's entriely plausible you might not want your
> employer to know about things you do in your off hours which are none
> of their business.  It's easy enough to say that an employer who would
> fire you for conlanging when off-duty is not an employer one would
> want to work for long-term, but under current circumstances finding
> another job with a more understanding employer is not trivial.  And
> although the employers who would conceivably fire someone for
> conlanging are probably very few, some people might have other
> unpopular interests that *do* warrant using a handle, and might as
> well use the same handle in multiple online fora for the sake of
> consistency.  Or they might prefer to be safe rather than sorry; maybe
> their current employer is tolerant of employees with weird hobbies,
> but their next one might not be, and they don't want to have a
> googleable track record that such a potential employer might find.
>
> --
> Jim Henry
> http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/

I agree there are some hobbies/interests that some would want to conceal from others e.g. political opinion and such. But something such as conlanging I don't see as too detrimental. However, as I admit below I am lacking in certain social areas that may inhibit my perception.

On Aug 30, 2012, at 2:05, "A. da Mek" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> Expressing who you are and definitively tying your interests to your "real name" (i.e. who you are) is one of the many ways of weeding out those whom you don't have anything in common
>
> It would weed out not those whom I don't have _anything_ in common, but those whom I don't have _everything_ in common.
> If I share with someone common interests in some art or sport, I do not want to spoil this relation by the knowledge that in some other dimension of life we are regarding each other to be an idiot.

This was actually part of my point. Just because you don't share conlanging with a specific friend doesn't mean you can't be friends but it also doesn't mean you should have to hide the fact that you're into it. Whether or not a friend likes it shouldn't dictate a friendship.

On Aug 30, 2012, at 2:47, BPJ <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 2012-08-30 09:05, A. da Mek wrote:
>>> Expressing who you are and definitively tying your interests to
>>> your "real name" (i.e. who you are) is one of the many ways of
>>> weeding out those whom you don't have anything in common
>>
>> It would weed out not those whom I don't have _anything_ in
>> common, but those whom I don't have _everything_ in common.
>> If I share with someone common interests in some art or sport, I
>> do not want to spoil this relation by the knowledge that in some
>> other dimension of life we are regarding each other to be an idiot.
>
> Exactly!  When I was on Facebook I got friendship (is that the
> term they use in English) requests from clients, colleagues,
> kids' teachers, old schoolmates, in-laws and such as well as
> from acquaintances from conlanging and fandom and from friends
> outside these fields, and inevitably some in the non-nerdy
> categories wondered what the hell I was up to/what an idiot
> I was.  A total disaster in fact.  I know for a fact that I
> lost clients, and some colleagues ceased to recommend me to
> clients they hadn't time to serve.  Not to speak of the
> attitude the kids' teachers got...
>
> /bpj

I'll admit I can't relate to any of that. The people I associate with all know I love conlanging and the ones that think it's weird just ignore that part of me. Also, I'm not in a business that entails clients or anything. My kids' teachers are my old schoolmates so they already know me and my in-laws started off hating me even before they knew anything about my hobbies. So I don't see it as having any affect on my social or professional relationships.

On Aug 30, 2012, at 3:46, taliesin the storyteller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 2012-08-29 20:46, Brian Woodward wrote:
>> While I respect people's uses of different monikers, handles,
>> pseudonyms, etc. I don't see the above reasons as sufficient for
>> using them. So what if others reject you for your hobbies, interests,
>> passions, etc. Expressing who you are and definitively tying your
>> interests to your "real name" (i.e. who you are)
>
> Whoo are we getting philosophical here! Am I to interpret this as that you consider a name given when too young to protest is more real than the name you have built your reputation on? That the name on an id is more real than the name a person actually uses? That the cards you have been dealt by accidents of fate are more real than the cards you have acquired later on and have chosen to put in play? That history is destiny? (Ok, getting carried away again, deep breaths...)
>
> I don't think you understand where at least some of us pseudonymous people come from, /at all/. I could spend some hours googling up the research that has been done on this, but I'm not gonna.
>

> t., who just realized that particular pseudo has been in use for almost half of /me's lifetime. Ugh how time flies.

Whether it is by the name you were given at birth or by the name you made for yourself you have an identity associated with that name. All I'm suggesting is that one single identity should be enough. Why have split personalities if you don't need to?

Brian