CONLANG  August 2012, Week 5

CONLANG August 2012, Week 5

Re: Real names

Sam Stutter <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:52:50 +0100

To get really philosophical, Brian, do you believe a name is something one is given, or something one has in oneself? Names, in Celtic mythology certainly, and so presumably elsewhere, have always been something dreadfully important: knowing someone's true name is a method of control. And if you've ever read Jean Rhyss' _Wide Sargasso Sea_ you'll know how Rochester changes Antoinette's name in order to have some degree of control over her. In modern society, along the your national security number (or whatever), your name is something used to keep track of you and, for the more paranoid amongst us, a method of direct control.

If you were born, alone on a desert island, with no one to talk to, ignoring the question of whether you would have an internal language to orchestrate your thoughts, would you give yourself a name? How would you make sense of the "me" living in your head? Cue Doctor Who references such as "Stormagedon, Dark Lord of All" and a Farside cartoon entitled "Names we give dogs and the names dogs give themselves".

If a name is something you give yourself, something consensual, then it's a way of defining yourself and selling yourself - hence it's probably useful in the modern world to be able to use different names to sell yourself differently in different spheres / communities. I know judging a book by it's cover is supposedly Bad, but a cover usually tells you everything you need to know about how a person interacts with the world or wants to be perceived by the world: a name is just part of a person's dust jacket.

If it's something people impose upon you, then it's a method by which other people attempt to control who you are - particularly as names have actual encoded meanings, rather than just being "suggestive" of a meaning.

If it's the former, pseudonyms are a human right and, from speaking to Sai on Google+, I learn that self definition is part of common law. If it's the latter, then that's really unfair and needs to be changed. Hence, you've got two types of pseudonym: the first disguises your true identity - to prevent control, and the second reveals what you believe your true identity actually is - to gain control over your identity.

*Actually*, if anyone thinks this is going OT, well, ha, because this is exactly the right place to bring it back to conlanging. In many cultures, one is given a name at birth and then chooses one oneself when you come of age. How does your conlang:

a) coin names?
b) give them to people?
c) are there differences / similarities between names for each gender?
d) use names for genetic continuity / heritage (if at all)?
e) etc

Sam Stutter (pretty much my legal name)
"No e na'l cu barri"