CONLANG  September 2012, Week 2

CONLANG September 2012, Week 2

Re: what sort of semantic properties of arguments do verbs inflect for?

Zach Wellstood <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 9 Sep 2012 15:13:08 -0400

>> Good stuff. For Livagian I currently have inflections for nonthird
> person, for 6 degrees of spatial deixis (based on +/-near me, +/-near you),
> which also double as degrees of (in)definiteness, for taboo/unmentionable,
> for ineffable, for thing pointed to, for thing demonstrated, for good thing
>  and for bad thing.

Oh, interesting! I didn't know if there were any other conlangs that
observe spatial deixis in that way. In  łaá siri, those conjugations also
help in distinguishing proximate/obviative distinctions and relevance to
the discourse.

Zach

--
<Say 'Yes' to Conlanging! <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conlang>>