Monospaced Font

CONLANG  September 2012, Week 2

CONLANG September 2012, Week 2

Re: OT: Conlang borthdays (was Re: Jameld is 30)

Daniel Bowman <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 14 Sep 2012 08:40:54 -0400

> Hm, how common is it that conlangs have such definite birthdays? I find it
> hard enough to trace back which *year* I started some of mine in...
>

> t.

I can't draw a hard and fast line for when I started my conlang Angosey, so
I decided on a good "ballpark" day and set that as its birthday. I suppose
it would be hard to tell what day you started a conlang unless you make a
habit of writing dates on your notes-even then, when does it become a
conlang, versus a sketch or just a vague idea?

In other words, I suspect "birthday" is somewhat arbitrary (at least it is
for mine) but it is still nice to have some point in time, however
artificial, to mark your progress.