CONLANG  September 2012, Week 2

CONLANG September 2012, Week 2

Re: Basic Word Lists

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 8 Sep 2012 14:14:04 -0700

--- On Thu, 9/6/12, Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I think I have more than once touted
> by wordlist designed for research in Indonesia-- http://cinduworld.tripod.com/wordlist.txt
> -- 1100+ words, but it can be adapted to fit any

I know a lot of those words from Waray-Waray (PI). Interesting how
obviously cognate are certain words, like dua/duha, uban/oban, mata/mata,
telinga/talinga -- but others are completely different: tangan/camot,
kaki/ti'il, burit/bobot, jantung/puso, tooth/nipon; satu/usa. Pronouns
are very similar as well. I'm sure there must be a far deeper level of
cognate relationship than I'm aware of, you know, some words I think
aren't related might actually be related.

Thanks for reposting the list!

Padraic