TEI-L October 2012

CFP: Interedition Bootcamp

Syd Bauman <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 11 Oct 2012 21:16:15 -0400

[Posted on behalf of Joris van Zundert

(Please circulate widely, apologies for any cross posting.)

== Interedition: Call For Participation Bootcamp #13 ==
Interedition has the pleasure of inviting all interested scholars and
developers to participate in the upcoming Bootcamp to be held on the occasion
of the 2012 conference of the European Society for Textual Scholarship (http://
ests2012.huygens.knaw.nl/). This bootcamp will be held from 21 until 24
November 2012 at the Huygens Institute for the History of the Netherlands in
The Hague (http://www.huygens.knaw.nl/).

== Challenge ==
Computational models of text in the Digital Humanities are strongly informed by
the technological basis which practitioners in the field choose to process
them. Such technological bases may be found in XML-based technologies[1]
employed for encoding, processing and delivering digital texts. They may be
found in alternatives like the Resource Description Format (RDF)[2], string-/
range-based models[3, 4] or network/graph-oriented approaches[5]. Which ever:
each of these technological frameworks shape the way we construct and (in the
end) conduct computations on digital texts. While the family of XML-related
tools forms an ecosystem which does not only include an encoding standard but
also offers a manifold of options for processing XML-encoded data (XPath,
XQuery, XSLT, XProc etc.), alternatives often fall short of providing
easy-to-use, practical solutions for the digital humanist when it comes to
leveraging the advantages of such complementary approaches.

This particular bootcamp therefore sets a formidable challenge: can the
contours of an alternative, domain specific language (DSL) for the flexible
processing of texts (beyond the constraints of e.g. XML) be defined and the
beginnings of a reference implementation be designed and constructed in mere
days?

== Programme ==
* Wednesday 21 November 2012
Day 1 of the bootcamp will be an unconference on the concepts and particulars
of text modeling. Which existing models (graphs, ranges, trees?) or what
combination serves us the most. What verbs make up our language, to what
scholarly concepts does it answer? And how do we implement it?

* Thursday 22 & Friday 23 November 2012
Day 2 & 3 will be hacking, developing, testing, and reiterating. The idea is to
end with a minimalist implementation that for example could execute something
like:

witnesses = Witnesses.new()
witnesses.add( 'http://example.org/rest_tei&id=00.1.3233.2' ).add(  'http://
example.org/rest_tei&id=00.1.3233.3' )
witnesses.first.annotate( new Range( 20, 40 ), "My annotation" )
variant_graph = witnesses.collate.graph
variant_graph.out( './examples/exmp_001.svg' )

All naive assumptions and implicit architectural subtext in this fictitious
example are discussables!

* Saturday 24 November 2012
Day 4 will be evaluative. We see what we have, what problems we identified.
Also we make a start with disseminating our findings in a blog post and the
layout of a journal contribution.

== Bursaries ==
Kindly sponsored by the Huygens Institute 'Interedition' is able to offer a
limited amount of bursaries typically ranging from 500 to 750 Euros depending
on travel distance. Successful applicants are expected to attend the full
bootcamp, and should in general be early stage researchers and/or developers (<
Ph.D. + 10 years) able to motivate a clear interest and experience in tool
design, development, and/or text modeling.

If you are interested in participating in the bootcamp, please send an email to
joris.van.zundert-AT-huygensinstituut.knaw.nl by *10 November 2012*. In the
email please state your affiliation, add a short description of your current or
related development work in digital humanities. Please also suggest what you
want to bring to the bootcamp as to modeling and development expertise, and
what you hope to take away form it.

== About Interedition ==
Interedition (http://www.interedition.eu) is a digital humanities community
initiative whose objective is to further the interoperability of tools in
digital scholarship. Interedition is raising the awareness of the importance of
interoperability as a major driver for sustainability for tools and data in the
field of digital scholarship. This activity takes two forms: firstly, meetings
in which researchers in digital scholarship can network their knowledge of
tools and the possibilities for their interoperability; secondly, the
development of proof-of-concept implementations of interoperable tools. These
proof-of-concept tools are the focus of Interedition's periodic bootcamps,
which offer the open source development community in the humanities
opportunities to meet, network, and exchange knowledge.

== About the organizers ==
The bootcamp is organized through the kind efforts of:

* Ronald Haentjens-Dekker (Huygens Institute for the History of the
Netherlands)
* Joris van Zundert (Huygens Institute for the History of the Netherlands)

== Bootcamp venue ==
Dekenzaal
Huygens Institute for the History of the Netherlands
Prins Willem-Alexanderhof 5
2595 BE  The Hague
(52.081669, 4.327998)

(Note that the venue is *different* from the ESTS2012 conference venue to
ensure good development facilities. The ESTS venue in Amsterdam is a 40 minutes
train ride away.)

== Bootcamp start ==
Wednesday 21 November 2012, 10AM CEST