CONLANG  October 2012, Week 3

CONLANG October 2012, Week 3

Re: Creating Racist Terms

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Oct 2012 18:18:38 -0700

--- On Tue, 10/16/12, Adam Walker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > > So yes, if you want to be a writer you have to
> *actually write* rather
> > than
> > > come up with reasons why the writing isn't
> happening. But this doesn't
> > mean
> > > that creation is always conscious, and it
> certainly doesn't mean that
> > > people who experience subconscious creation as
> from an external source
> > are
> > > loons.
> > >
> > > - David
> > >

> > I actually teach automatic writing as a method for idea
> generation, so I'm
> > not completely adverse to the unconscious elements of
> writing.  It's the
> > actual idea that the characters have *actually* taken
> over the work that I
> > think is kind of insane.  Yes, sometimes the work
> just sort of comes --
> > sometimes, very, very rarely.  And that's not a
> sign of being nuts, of
> > course.  But if you have to add in a whole
> disconnected and useless scene
> > of your character getting a snack because the character
> told you that he
> > was hungry (yes, this is a real example that someone
> actually said in a
> > workshop), then you have gone off the deep end and need
> to pull yourself
> > back.  And then cut that useless scene.
> >

> I have two novels in progress and a fair bundle of short
> stories.  Nothing
> that I have "planned" has ever worked out to my
> satisfaction.  My stories
> work when the characters take over and do what they
> want.  If I can get my
> characters talking to each other in my head, the story will
> just happen.  I
> don't plot ahead of time; my plots arise from what the
> characters start
> doing.  I'm sure I'm making the decisions, but they are
> burried far enough
> down in my subconscious that I don't know what I'm doing
> until it happens.
> When I consciously decide character X should do such and
> such because it
> would be good for the plot, it rarely works out well.

Hear hear! I concur on all points. I don't think I'm under any illusion
that the World is a "real place" like this primary world, but neither do
I subscribe to Patrick's 100%-in-control-and-author-makes-every-decision
theory of writing. I think like you, I tend to write best when the
conscious mind kind of takes the back seat as it were. Every time I've had
to actually plan a story it either fails cos it's being forced, or I end
up dawdling and never finish it.

I *still* have an unfinished story (one of the first revelations from the
World, I might add) from high school, a bloody quarter century ago. It
never got done (and I think I got a C on it) cos we were learning how to
write via planning and conscious choice of plot, setting and character.
Clearly, that didn't work so well!

Now, the Pot-Kettle-Black fable, the Red Robin Hood and the Big Bad Wolf
story and all the other short stories I've actually finished -- those were
all written already when I took pen to paper, and they didn't take more
than about an hour each (I think I agonised for a good week over that
plan-it-out story back in high school). I just scribbled it out. Patrick
can carp about mysticism all he likes, but mysticism is what gets the
story written! ;) And letting the characters just do their thing -- that
works best too, for me. Same with conlangs. Plan a conlang? I'm not even
sure where or how to start! But let me hear the voices and laughter of
the language's speakers -- let me peer into their lives -- let me see them
go about their activities. Then, bam! There's the language. It's then just
a matter of writing it all down and making sense of it.

> Let me give you an example of how it works for me.
> Last week I was looking
> over the part of my novel that I have written so far, and I
> realized that
> Jva wasn't showing up enough in the earlier part of the book
> to justify the
> role he plays in the mid to later part of the book.  So
> I jotted down a
> note to myself that Jva needed to to do more, and set it
> aside.  A few days
> later I decided I should try to write a secen including
> Jva.  I still
> didn't know what the scene would be, but I set pen to paper
> (yes I write
> much of my stuff in longhand) and suddenly Jva was there
> proposing to his
> girlfriend.  I don't mind romantic elements in the
> books I read, but
> proposals and such are hardly an intense interest of mine --
> I've never
> even been on a date for heaven's sake!  Then my main
> character walks in on
> the happy couple and stumbels his way through congratulating
> them and by
> the end of the scene Jva has a new gig as an interior
> designer for a
> meeting room for a summit that I didn't know was happening
> (though I think
> one scene I wrote last year is part of that summit) and has
> a capstone
> project for his studies that I didn't know he needed.
> Plus several details
> about Halcyan wedding customs which I hadn't previously
> solidified came
> clear in the writing. And all this will help to fill in some
> things about
> the MC that were missing/weak while bridging part of one of
> the biggest
> gaps still extant in the story.
>
> Oh and that's the other thing.  I'm a very non-linear
> writer.  I write
> scenes as they materialize in my head, and they rarely do so
> in order.

Now I'll admit to never having written anything like a novel, but I don't think I'm a nonlinear writer. Thus far, the stories have just come out. I
don't write out the end first or anything. It just starts out with OUAT
and I write until I get &TLHEE. Or until I get tired and go off and do
something else. But then I'll just come back and pick up later.

> I currently have about 30 chapters.  Of those about 17
> are complete and the
> rest are still missing scenes.  For some the missing
> parts may only be a
> couple hundred words that lead into the next chapter or the
> same tying the
> chapter to the previous one.  For others the beginning
> or ending may be all
> I currently have.  For others I don't yet know what is
> missing, I just know
> they aren't yet complete.  Sometimes these incomplet
> chapters come with
> titles that tell me  what the rest of the chapter will
> eventually be
> about.  Other times they are just fragments that will
> eventually fit in
> somewhere and get snazzy names like U7 (for the 7th untitled
> bit of
> stuff).  Recently I wrote a titled bit and then just as
> I was about to
> close the file and call it a day I remembered one of my
> untitled scenes and
> thought it might fit with the bit I had just written.
> The untitled bit was
> nearly a year old, but when I pasted it in, I realized that
> it fit
> perfectly with what I had just composed, so perfectly that I
> didn't even
> have to write a single word as transition between the two
> bits.  They
> matched up perfectly.  That has happened exactly once,
> but it did happen.
> Was it mystical?  No.  But can I give an
> explination of what happened
> without it sounding mystical?  Not really.  A
> description, yes.  An
> explination, no.

Tis mystical.

Padraic