CONLANG  October 2012, Week 3

CONLANG October 2012, Week 3

w- ~ wh- (was: politics and prescriptivism)

R A Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 20 Oct 2012 16:28:47 +0100

On 18/10/2012 18:12, Adam Walker wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Roger Mills wrote:
[snip]

>> Agreed, but... many of us still maintain the w- ~ wh-
>> contrast (or am I the last of a breed?).

[snip]

> You are not the last.

Indeed not - not by a long way.  Even I down in the south
east of England maintain it  maintain it in certain formal
styles, though not in normal every day speech.

But up in Scotland it is still maintained AFAIK in the daily
speech of most (all?) Scots varieties of English.  Also I'm
given to understand that the pronunciation of wh- as [f]