Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  October 2012, Week 4

AUXLANG October 2012, Week 4

Re: EU Language Policy and an Auxiliary Language

Stephen Rice <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Oct 2012 23:03:56 -0600

On 10/23/12, Paul Bartlett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 16:07:43 -0400, Risto Kupsala <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:

> Question: are we talking about an auxlang just for the eurocrats in
> Brussels, say, or an auxlang for all people in the EU in their regular
> affairs? A language for use in the European Parliament, or for a tourist
>  from Helsinki wanting to by coffee at a shop in Trieste or Prague? And, of
> course, there is the matter of whether consideration of an auxlang should
> be restricted just to the EU or allowed for a larger at least potential
> audience / user base (such as non-EU European nations and other societies
> of more or less western civilization).

If it's official, it will be for the "eurocrats," unless it spreads
through the masses first and becomes official as a fait accompli.

>>> The only way around
>>> typical human inertia is something that at least looks effortless, and
>>> that means "at sight."
>>
>> Let's end this nonsense short. There is no at-sight language for the
>> whole EU. Romance and Anglo-Romance simply don't fit the bill. So it's
>> best just to forget the naturalistic auxlangs and concentrate on
>> schematic ones, because the latter are more equally easy to everybody.
>
> What about Otto Jespersens's idea that that auxiliary language is best
> which in the most points offers the greatest ease to the greatest number?
> I personally do not support this particular idea, but there are those who
> do, in which case they support something more along the idea of
> Interlingua / Occidental / even Esperanto. And can we even design an
> auxlang which is "more equally easy to everybody"?

Perhaps we could, but we shouldn't. "Equally easy" means "equally
hard," and except for geeks, no one will voluntarily learn a hard
language. The greatest difficulty for any new project is attracting
its first speakers, and successful auxlangs do this by giving them
some advantage. Jespersen's principle merely seeks to minimize the
number of people who don't gain some advantage.

We have to be careful
> here, in that most of our discussion relates to adult learners, whereas
> Mario Pei pointed out long ago (i.e., 1950s in "One Language for the
> World") that for young children in immersion environments, all languages
> are approximately equally easy. If an auxlang -- any auxlang -- were to
> take off in the EU (or anywhere else, for that matter), presumably it
> would eventually be taught to young children, so in terms of ease of
> learning, at-sight versus schematicism become relatively insignificant as
> such.

But first it must take off, and it won't do that if adult learners
find it too difficult. It's like starting a bonfire using huge pieces
of wood: the huge pieces will be there eventually, but if you try to
start with them, you won't get the fire started at all. You must start
small and give the fire easy fuel before you jump to the more advanced
conditions.

>>> Eo can't be changed now; it has too many
>>> users, and they would be needed to teach the language and ease its
>>> adoption.
>>
>> Then the best options are to pick a less established auxlang or to
>> create a new one.
>
> But I wonder whether at this point any auxlang (i.e., conIAL, which is
> what we are talking about here) *other* than Esperanto has any ghost of a
> chance. E-o is far, far ahead of all other conIALs put together. Given
> whatever current situation there is (and I know that years ago I used to
> differ from the late Don Harlow over this), of all now existing conIALs I
> think only E-o has much prospect at all for wider acceptance and use (and
> it is not even my personal favorite). Can the advocates of any new
> constructed languages have any hope that their projects have any chance at
> success? If in 125 years not even Esperanto has come into much more than
> hobby use, what are the prospects for some newly constructed language?
> Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door?
> Hardly.

Esperanto is easy, but it doesn't look easy. At-sight systems do, so
they are more inviting. Also, Esperantists have been working toward
the Auxlang Epiphany for more than a century now. They realize that
the problem is fundamentally psychological and sociological, which is
why they don't waste time trying to solve the problem with a "perfect"
language.

> I myself doubt that any creolized English has any realistic chances at
> all, so little that I myself think it would be a waste of time to try to
> develop some sort of artificially creolized English and have any hope of
> getting it accepted and widely used.

The odds for any project are small enough that it makes little difference.

Now in this case, the fundamental issue is bigotry. People reject
auxlangs because they are fake; they reject creoles for the same
reason. They look at Bislama and Tok Pisin and call them "bad
English." Why? Because they're different, because their speakers are
poor and non-white and from outside the traditional Anglosphere. But
they are real languages; I doubt any linguist would say otherwise. So
I would simply, honestly shame opponents. Their position is
indefensible.

Worse yet (in terms of modern pieties), it simply isn't cool. Deep
down, we find creoles fun, but we're too inhibited to admit it.
They're the linguistic equivalent of the things kids do because
they're more interested in having fun than in being dignified. And we
envy them. We envy creole-speakers too, because they're having fun and
we aren't. So since we aren't about to drop our dignity and join in
the fun, we sneer at them.

Both of these are marketing tools and motivators. Why should you learn
this creoloid? Oh, I don't know, friend. The bigots won't learn it.
Are you a bigot? No? Well, maybe you ought to take a look. Of course,
it's for cool people who like to have fun. It's not for everyone. Are
you willing to kick off your shoes and your excess dignity and have
some fun? Well, I think we can find room for you...

But I agree, even as an educated,
> literate speaker of (General American) English, that English is sort of a
> mess. Yes, it has relatively (but only relatively) widespread use for now,
> but I know from having tried to help others learn English as a second
> language that it is not easy. And yes, the spelling is abominable, even
> for native speakers, but all attempts in modern times to reform the
> spelling have failed (and anyway, which of the two major dialect groups
> would be the basis for the reform?). Certainly there are serious issues
> with English as an auxlang; it is only the current and recent-past
> influence of the USA that, as far as I can tell, has led to its wider use
> at present.

Point: it isn't possible to reform English. Completely true. Start
over. Don't reform English; reboot it.

Steve