CONLANG  October 2012, Week 5

CONLANG October 2012, Week 5

Re: Denny's wins some linguistic savvy points

BPJ <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 30 Oct 2012 12:03:27 +0100

On 2012-10-29 08:18, J. 'Mach' Wust wrote:
> The difference is between what "these scripts were
> supposed to be" and what they are. Maybe in the mind
> and fiction of their creator they were supposed not
> to have been fixed in spelling. However, I consider
> myself not to be living in the mind or fiction of
> their creator, but in the real world. And in the real
> world, I find a number of specimina of these scripts.
> I analyse them and I find clear patterns. I want to
> follow these patterns of the real world.

Yes, but in the light of the fact that their author encouraged
a correspondent in the real world to feel free to devise his own
system(s) of spelling English (and then why not any language?)
you are not acting respectfully towards the author if you
try to impose this preference of yours onto others.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't study Tolkien's usage,
but that we shouldn't feel bound to follow it slavishly,
even if his usage were consistent and our knowledge of it
were comprehensive, neither of which is the case!

>> >Lastly such impositions will not promote the use of
>> >these wonderful scripts, but stifle it. We'd get a
>> >situation where nobody would dare to produce anything
>> >but facsimiles of texts by his hand for fear of not
>> >spelling correctly, which would be very far from the
>> >spirit of his own practice.

> On the contrary, I think the scripts would become much more widely
> accessible if they were stripped off the "phoneticity" myth.

That's not the issue here. The issue is that Tolkien
considered anyone free to spell as they pleased --
phonetically, phonemically ortographically,
morphophonemically, and with freedom to assign
letter/sign values, within the stated limits of the
principle of both scripts to map similar alterations in
letter shape to similar alterations in sound -- which
gives both scripts a foundation in phonology which even
the IPA lacks! It would certainly be radical -- and weird-
looking! -- to devise a Tengwar mode for Tamil -- the
traditional phonological analysis of which identifies
six places of articulation and three classes of manner
of articulation -- where the rows of the table are
assigned to places and the columns to manners, but I
don't think it would have upset Tolkien the least.

> I guess that most people outside of our hermetic
> circles don't know much about phonology and will have
> much less trouble in using an orthographic spelling
> than a "phonetic alphabet" (whatever that is supposed
> to be).

No argument there.  People even have trouble with
using Kalma and Anga for modern Swedish fricatives
which arose from velar stops and still are spelled
_k, g_!

> I even believe that this might have been the very
> reason why Tolkien used orthographic spellings in the
> texts he was addressing to other people. He knew that
> phonological spelling was deeply hermetic so he used
> orthographic spelling to make those texts more widely
> accessible.

That's pretty obvious, and I've not contested it.

> I believe if you take the occasional Z for S and V
> for S and the single WOR for WAR as a grounds for
> calling those texts phonological spellings,

I don't. I take them as grounds for saying that his orthographic
text had some phonological features, or showed some influence
from phonological modes of writing which he actually preferred.
It's also my opinion that some 'phonological' texts show
influences from orthographic spellings.  That doesn't
make those texts orthographic, either.

> then you are obfuscating what a phonological spelling
> really means.

I do nothing of the sort. I have studied language,
comparative philology, phonetics, phonology and
writing for thirty years, and am well aware of the
difference between a transcription and a
transliteration, which is really what this is about.
I'm even on record to be opposed to making concessions
to transcription in transliteration between scripts,
because it obscures reverse transliteration. I'm
however also on record to have said that such
concessions may be permissible and even desirable
where lossless reverse transliteration is not
imperative, and as having said that since Tibetan
_anyway_ has to be transcribed to make any sense to
someone unfamiliar with its native orthography one
should for non-linguistic purposes make a pure rather
broad transcription without any misleading influences
from transliteration/orthography, such as using _b d
g_ for what are actually voiceless aspirated stops, so
I guess I have my concepts sorted out in this area!

On 2012-10-29 11:20, J. 'Mach' Wust wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 02:50:24 -0500, George Corley wrote:
>> I seem to understand what you are getting at. No
>> alphabet other than IPA is phonetic for ALL
>> languages. A specific orthography for a specific
>> language can, however, be more or less phonemic than
>> another orthography.
>
> I wouldn't even make any exception for the IPA. Broad
> IPA "transcriptions" tend to be highly
> conventionalized -- or orthographic, if you will.
> They are even taught like spelling rules and not like
> 'listen carefully to what you hear and then write
> that down'.

I agree.  I even got criticized by my phonetics professor
for transcribing what I actually heard!

>> This, I can agree with, but I don't think we should
>> necessarily restrict the way we use conlangs and con-
>> scripts because it might possibly reinforce a lay
>> misunderstanding about language. And to the extent
>> that (mis-)uses of scripts reflect lay
>> misunderstandings, well, that is a valid criticism,

I agree.

>> though I'm not sure if in this case it's entirely
>> clear that the artist had the misconception you
>> describe.

No, s/he did a surprisingly good job of imitating the
transliteration of English Latin-letter orthography
with slight concessions to phonemic transcription
used in the leaves from the book of Mazarbul.

> I don't want to accuse Denny's artist of anything. It
> is, however, a common lay misunderstanding that
> Tolkien's scipts are somehow "phonetic".

I agree.

>>> The difference is between what "these scripts were
>>> supposed to be" and what they are. Maybe in the
>>> mind and fiction of their creator they were
>>> supposed not to have been fixed in spelling.
>>> However, I consider myself not to be living in the
>>> mind or fiction of their creator, but in the real
>>> world. And in the real world, I find a number of
>>> specimina of these scripts. I analyse them and I
>>> find clear patterns. I want to follow these
>>> patterns of the real world.
>>
>> You are free to do that. But it can still be fun to
>> imagine different variations, or to put one's own
>> spin on the use of these scripts.
>
> It certainly is!

And still you would prefer people not to do it?

>> I think this way regardless of whether the original
>> author would approve, but the fact that Tolkien
>> might (after all, he used the script in different
>> ways, himself).
>
> Then again, we know from letters that he disapproved
> of certain uses that were out of place like reusing
> the names Elrond or Shadowfax, if I am not mistaken,
> for a cow or an ugly boat, respectively.

How does that invalidate his express statement that "it
is impossible to make mistakes, unless according to
your own system", or the several pages long manual on
*how to devise Tengwar modes* in Appendix E? He clearly
enjoyed the thought of other people experimenting with
his scripts. He was interested in English spelling
reform, and that is part of the pedigree at least of
the Tengwar.

> Would he
> have approved of a mixture of orthographic and
> phonological spelling?

Well, he practiced it himself to a degree.

> There are hints that he
> preferred phonological spelling (there is one in the
> most recent Parma Eldalamberon), but still, all of
> the texts that were addressed to other people used
> orthographical spelling.

I think there's little doubt on either point.

>> However, it is a direct counterexample to your claim
>> that Tolkien's usage of the script was *either* 100%
>> phonological *or* 100% according to traditional
>> orthography for a given text -- these show a mix of
>> traditional orthography and phonemicity not unlike
>> the mix in the Denny's ad.
>
> Good reply. I haven't said 100%, though. I still
> uphold that all of Tolkien's text are clearly either
> orthographic or phonological, if you stick to the key
> elements that constitute orthographic or phonological
> spelling.

I too got the impression that you meant 100% either/or.
If you don't I think there's no disagreement between
us on this point.

> In the case of English, I believe that this
> key element is the great vowel shift.

Agreed.

> In this regard, I believe Tolkien's mixtures
> (orthographical spelling with marginal phonological
> changes such as occasional Z for S and V for F and
> one instance of WOR for WAR) to be very different
> from the Denny's ad mixture.

I don't. I haven't been able to find any instances
of //-s// *other* than _is_ on the rather crappy
reproductions of the leaves from the book of
Mazarbul that I have access to, so is there really
any telling how he'd spelled //-s// after a voiced
sound in general?

> (even though it is relatively short, it seems to be
> like some kind of phonological spelling with
> interspersed pre-shift vowels and other funky stuff
> such as morphophonemicity).

Which by his descriptions is not too different from
the way he says the Dwarves wrote the Common Speech
at the end of the Third Age!

It's also not all that different from the mode for
Swedish which I have devised which is intentionally
made so that it may have been a phonemic mode for Old
Swedish which has become traditional and orthographic
since, but still has made some concessions to some
later soundshifts -- notably palatalization.

>> Also, consider that we're having this deep
>> philosophical discussion of a FREAKING BILLBOARD AD.
>> I'm not snobbish about "high art" vs "low art", but
>> considering the medium, we're probably lucky to get
>> anything other than gibberish in a watermark behind
>> normal English text.

I very much agree!

> Very much so! I completely agree with you in this
> respect! It is just me who's having strong feelings
> about the lay misunderstanding that Tolkien's scripts
> are "phonetic" and therefore inherently require
> phonological spelling -- they don't.

I very much agree here too.